Opinion Should Korda stand down?

Should Korda stand down immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • No

Votes: 41 44.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The club cannot hand out the details of members - this would be a breach of Privacy Act 1988 in which the club must be compliant with.

The list would need to be submitted to the club for verification.
I stand corrected... As per the corporations act you can, this seems like a privacy nightmare when considered in conjunction with the Privacy Act though...

From https://asic.gov.au/about-asic/cont...ee-disputes-about-members-rights/#Obligations:

Rights of members of companies limited by guarantee
The Corporations Act entitles members of a company limited by guarantee to:

• access to the company's register of members
  • a copy of the company's constitution
  • access to minutes of meetings of members
  • for small companies limited by guarantee – a financial report and directors' report if requested by 5% of members
  • for large companies limited by guarantee – a financial report and a directors' report.
For a description of small and large companies limited by guarantee, see Information Sheet 131 Obligations of companies limited by guarantee(INFO 131).

I certainly will move on without any angst. Just want this put to bed.
David can buy me a beer in the Legends bar anytime :p
He does enjoy a beer or ten!

Hatley has done all the right things - he's collected the necessary number of signatures but before he lodges the petition he needs to check that he has the required number of signatures (approx 650) of members with voting rights. If he just lodged the petition as it is it would be easy for the current board to stonewall and dismiss it as being incomplete or some other excuse. If the board was interested in being transparent with the members then it should facilitate the checking of the signatures and bring things to a head. If the board is confident in their abilities and attributes they should not be worried about presenting themselves as the best people to represent the members on our board.
Likewise any other members who think they would be able to add their expertise to the board would then have the chance to nominate and put their case before the members at the EGM. The end result is that we end up with a board that has a mandate from the current voting members and that board then nominates who they select as President. As a democratic organization, we should all accept the results of the election and bury any personal preferences and put our full support behind the fairly elected officials. As a club we then get to move on with a united front and hopefully look for better times ahead.

Hatley has done all the right things - he's collected the necessary number of signatures but before he lodges the petition he needs to check that he has the required number of signatures (approx 650) of members with voting rights. If he just lodged the petition as it is it would be easy for the current board to stonewall and dismiss it as being incomplete or some other excuse. If the board was interested in being transparent with the members then it should facilitate the checking of the signatures and bring things to a head. If the board is confident in their abilities and attributes they should not be worried about presenting themselves as the best people to represent the members on our board.
Likewise any other members who think they would be able to add their expertise to the board would then have the chance to nominate and put their case before the members at the EGM. The end result is that we end up with a board that has a mandate from the current voting members and that board then nominates who they select as President. As a democratic organization, we should all accept the results of the election and bury any personal preferences and put our full support behind the fairly elected officials. As a club we then get to move on with a united front and hopefully look for better times ahead.
The club will delay as long as possible because the last thing they want is an EGM.

If Norf win we could have 4 clubs looking for coaches this year by the end of the season

They need to sort this s**t out next week or Browne and his group of minions need to * off quite frankly

Exactly - that speaks volumes about the current board and why an EGM is necessary.
I don’t think it will happen until the end of the year. By that time Browne’s challenge will be dead and buried.

Korda’s conspicuous absence at Buckley’s farewell press conference on Wednesday was not lost on Browne’s rising ranks of supporters.

It was further evidence, one said, of the “disconnect” that has crippled Collingwood since last year’s trade debacle.

Buckley — one of the club’s greatest figures — was instead flanked by chief executive Mark Anderson and football boss Graham Wright, and it’s certainly hard to imagine Korda’s predecessor, Eddie McGuire, being absent from such a momentous occasion.

Oddly, Korda was photographed leaving the club after the press conference without having fronted the TV cameras.

Interesting that Licuria in his interview in the Age said that Korda was off-camera just 3 metres away from Buckley for the press conference, and this was always planned. So what is behind the bolded quote? Just mischief and mistruth from the Browne camp?

they used to call it stirring....but when a media type does it, it's called paying the bills. Interesting thing about that comment about eddie mcguire never missing an opportunity to front every collingwood announcement, is that i liked how mark anderson was allowed to be a CEO for once, rather than Ed's office boy.
And while browne supporters might go on about not having the "leader" announce the decision, doing it this way certainly kept the focus on buckley.

If he just lodged the petition as it is it would be easy for the current board to stonewall and dismiss it as being incomplete or some other excuse.

Do you think our volunteer President whose day job is co-founder of the premier insolvency firm in the country would risk running foul of ASIC by not complying with the club’s obligations under the Corporations Act?

I stand corrected... As per the corporations act you can, this seems like a privacy nightmare when considered in conjunction with the Privacy Act though...

From https://asic.gov.au/about-asic/cont...ee-disputes-about-members-rights/#Obligations:
Says access to, not that it will be handed out. Perhaps allowing Hatley to peruse the details inside the club is sufficient?

I also read somewhere (twitter?) that he's happy to receive a list with personal details redacted.

Says access to, not that it will be handed out. Perhaps allowing Hatley to peruse the details inside the club is sufficient?

I also read somewhere (twitter?) that he's happy to receive a list with personal details redacted.
Yeah exactly, most likely access to a computer within the club with the database or whatever.

Still though, the Privacy Act classifies use of personal information as 1st and 2nd degree purpose. 1st degree purpose is using that information for the purpose it was collected (e.g. the club sending out communications or billing) and 2nd degree purpose is where an exception applies (e.g. assist with a criminal investigation, etc).

Because even just a name in this instance would qualify as Personally Identifiable Information, even if access is granted to a member within the club, this would still seem to be a breach of privacy UNLESS it is deemed that this type of request is 1st degree purpose of the information being gathered. It just doesn’t seem to be good practice from a privacy point of view to allow this sort of thing. I find it unlikely that a member of a Credit Union would be allowed to request the names of the members due to the considerable privacy/cybersecurity concerns associated with such an activity.

Everyone that oversaw that salary cap can leave

Not only did we have to lose decent players, but we practically had to give them away because we had no bargaining power.

I don’t accept this whole “we were in the window so we rolled the dice”. It wasn’t the deals the superstars got that did us in, but completely overpaying for B, B+ players across the board.

Time to go Korda ⏰

Everyone that oversaw that salary cap can leave

Not only did we have to lose decent players, but we practically had to give them away because we had no bargaining power.

I don’t accept this whole “we were in the window so we rolled the dice”. It wasn’t the deals the superstars got that did us in, but completely overpaying for B, B+ players across the board.

Time to go Korda ⏰
Does this include Hine who was in charge of cap for the initial period? That talk seems to have died down since we've had a couple of drafts that have so far produced promising young players. Funny that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does this include Hine who was in charge of cap for the initial period? That talk seems to have died down since we've had a couple of drafts that have so far produced promising young players. Funny that.

A couple of drafts? 1 draft.

Poulter and McCreery look excellent.

Go back through every single draft from 2012-2019 (8 straight drafts) and look how many players are still here/what we did with those picks, you won’t be saying ‘funny that’.

Go back through every single draft from 2012-2019 (8 straight drafts) and look how many players are still here/what we did with those picks, you won’t be saying ‘funny that’.
I assume that Wright is reviewing our recruiting, that would include Hine.

There's even problems notifying outsiders that people are members of an organisation. He probably needed people to sign the petition and then either sign a waiver or even to provide an address. In fact, in most serious petitions, the person signing the petition needs to provide an address and even a contact number. Maybe someone who signed the petition can confirm if that happened. If Hatley just got a signature, and maybe a block letters name, he might have to do it all again.

Don't rate Bianco who was taken the year prior?

I've been critical of our drafting and list strategy since 2012. Our drafting also wasn't flash with the late picks we had between 2009-'11, albeit somewhat excusable due to prioritising a flag at the top end. Hine's best work setup that 2010-12 period, but there's been significantly more misses than hits since, which is the underlying problem of where we are now; especially the 2013 draft. That draft should have provided the core to our team now and has arguably contributed to later decisions to fill the void (eg. Treloar).

That said I think that good systems help with player development, hence it's easier for top sides to bring in late picks and rookies and have them play a meaningful role. A strong VFL side is a bit of the chicken/egg debate, but there's no doubt that a strong VFL team is also better for player development and mature VFL listed players are a key factor. We've largely gone against this and leant towards pure development within our VFL program for past the 5 or so years.

Ultimately I think the issue is a mix of talent identification, hindered by list management decisions, and player development.

Do you think our volunteer President whose day job is co-founder of the premier insolvency firm in the country would risk running foul of ASIC by not complying with the club’s obligations under the Corporations Act?

my experience of law firms tells me that the youngster on 20K a year does all the work with the law. The people in suits doing all the heavy lifting with the lunches...

Very evident that bucks had the players. No doubt bucks removal was done to take the heat
Off the current board - that have made some horrible choices + save kordas job. Very bittersweet considering we’ve now won two in a row.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Very evident that bucks had the players. No doubt bucks removal was done to take the heat
Off the current board - that have made some horrible choices + save kordas job. Very bittersweet considering we’ve now won two in a row.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

bucks went as much by the gutless wonders who call themselves supporters..

Not providing member details to Hatley is just further evidence that the current board does not consider itself accountable to the members they are meant to represent.

Totally agree with this, even if I'm a bit on the fence. Irrespective of your views, the guy clearly seems to have the member numbers. Surely they need to honour that and verify the details. No one should be above due process, and if thems the rules for bringing on an EGM, thems the rules*

*I'd prefer there wasn't an EGM

Sure this gives Browne more leverage now. Might prove to be a horrible decision to part ways with Bucks. Game plan stacks up when we can knock off ladder leaders. Has the players and can coach.
Is there a Collingwood fan not questioning this decision? Buckley had the players... had runs on the board

Is there a Collingwood fan not questioning this decision? Buckley had the players... had runs on the board

I don’t know why we waited until today to play on at nearly every opportunity, play fast and lower the eyes going forward though…

Back