Standard of Umpiring - Suggestions for change

Remove this Banner Ad

Go back to one ump or maybe two so all of the little jumper tugs and fingers brushing someone/s shoulder for a millisecond won't be paid and one on one contests can resume and the strongest wins. A man can dream. We would also see far less of those pathetic downfield frees which usually result in a goal because one player pushed another over or touched his neck region briefly in a scuffle.

One of the problems is the AFL is the marketing department of the league,it's a finical organization that seeks to make money. Which is fine. But the Rules body and the body that controls the umpires should not be responsible to the marketing department.

They should be Australian football commission responsible for ALL the game in Australia which sets rules and has an umpire department which admnistrates the umpires. Such a commission should be setup but the grass roots football leagues, it should be running football for the whole game, not just the money making top league. There needs to disconnect from the the top League directly running everything, which tends to view everythng through an commercial filter.

The difference between the FA and Premier league in England. (Though I envisaging a much stronger FA and weaker PL)

Think most know of my opinions on the scumpires.
But with the millions of words, clicks and vision of the “booing” this week, discussing the “mental effect” on the soft million dollar players, where’s the AFL, the media, the players association, etc etc calling for the booing of the umpires to stop?
Are they not humans as well?

We are umpired differently in front of goal to any other team in the comp. It’s a *ing joke

They get Fired IF we get one in front of Goal.

Beyond a Joke.

AFL don't Protect Pies Forwards Heads

We are umpired differently in front of goal to any other team in the comp. It’s a *ing joke
Not just this but all over the ground now. It's a F?cking joke how the game is being umpired. I watched a lot of footy this weekend and I get so frustrated with the inconsistencies. Push in the back, holding the ball, head high contact, front on contact, etc, etc. I've had enough of this rubbish and something desperately needs to be done because if a team doesn't have a manageable lead the umpires are going to decide some very important games come seasons end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The chopping/touching the arms rule in a marking contest was a bad change in the rules. They simply wanted more goals kicked so they have made life a nightmare for any defender who is giving away height to his opponent. For well over 100 years forwards kicked bags of goals despite the fact defenders could whack their arms as they attempted to mark. Now it's a free even if there is a slight downward motion of the defender's hand on the arm. A tiny jumper tug is a free. An arm sitting around the forward's waist as a means of holding your ground and in no way infringing the forward's access to the ball is another which drives me insane.

I don't think tiny jumper grab for a fleeting second or a momentary arm around the waist should be free kicked unless it clearly impeded the forward ability to contest the ball. 90% of them do not and often the players don't even know it is their free kick.

The chopping/touching the arms rule in a marking contest was a bad change in the rules. They simply wanted more goals kicked so they have made life a nightmare for any defender who is giving away height to his opponent. For well over 100 years forwards kicked bags of goals despite the fact defenders could whack their arms as they attempted to mark. Now it's a free even if there is a slight downward motion of the defender's hand on the arm. A tiny jumper tug is a free. An arm sitting around the forward's waist as a means of holding your ground and in no way infringing the forward's access to the ball is another which drives me insane.

I don't think tiny jumper grab for a fleeting second or a momentary arm around the waist should be free kicked unless it clearly impeded the forward ability to contest the ball. 90% of them do not and often the players don't even know it is their free kick.
There was a glaring 'chopping of the arms' (wasn't there) in the last qrt (2H.10M) to Weitering.

Last edited:

So more Grey areas in the rules add "clealry impeded" t the growing list.Players will do more jumper grabs and ars around the waist and more wrestled and infringing n layers preventing from getting the ball. I mean the intent of such tactics is to impede the player there is simply no other reason to do it. How will allowing fleeting jumper grans ad momentary arms around he waist improve the game? These are NOT happening for aesthetic reasons ,they are attemping to impede the player.

How is that good?

Last edited:
So more Grey areas in the rules add "clealry impeded" t the growing list.Players will do more jumper grabs and ars around the waist and more wrestled and infringing n layers preventing from getting the ball. I mean the intent of such tactics is to impede the player there is simply no other reason to do it. How will allowing fleeting jumper grans ad momentary arms around he waist improve the game? These are happening for ascetic reasons they are treating to impede the player.

How is that good?
Not sure about that!!!

So more Grey areas in the rules add "clealry impeded" t the growing list.Players will do more jumper grabs and ars around the waist and more wrestled and infringing n layers preventing from getting the ball. I mean the intent of such tactics is to impede the player there is simply no other reason to do it. How will allowing fleeting jumper grans ad momentary arms around he waist improve the game? These are happening for ascetic reasons they are treating to impede the player.

How is that good?
It will allow players to actually engage in a test of strength. I have seen players pinged for grasping the guernsey of an opponent even when there is no impeding of the player's movement and as I said often the player who wins the free doesn't know it is his free so slight was the hold. Surely this common occurrence is a give-away to the fact the frees are often ridiculously technical. The whistle seemed to blow every third marking contest on Sunday. It was becoming farcical.

I also disagree that every infringement is an attempt to impede your opponent. When a big bummed forward like Hawkins plants his feet and backs into the defender with his 110 kg frame a player will place his arms around his waist or clasp his jumper in order to hold his ground. It is in no way interfering with Hawkins ability to raise his arms and mark the ball and if he attempted to move forward but was prevented from doing so due to the arms holding him back then pay the free. It was ridiculous to see the hands in the back rule we endured for a few years when a player would literally simply rest his two hands on his opponent's back for a second or two without in any way impeding or interfering with his approach to the ball being punished with a free in front of goal.

Do you remember the outrageous umps who justified their free kick by telling the player he used two actions when marking the ball? That was another abomination. You have always been allowed to push your opponent in the side when the ball was within five metres before marking it. Dunstall did it five times a week for a decade or more. That rule cost us the famous ANZAC Day loss when Zaharakis kicked the winning goal. Rocca was too strong for Fletcher. He pushed him in the side and under the pill, marked it and walked into gaol to kick the sealer which put us 20 points up in time on. The old "two actions" garbage saw him free kicked and a 50m penalty. Fletcher never complained when it happened, just dropped his head in defeat.

Stop tampering with the game. Some rule changes have been for the better, but the tiggy touchwood interpretation of marking contests between two strong players is a negative. I hold my breath every time there is a contest and you literally have no idea whose free it is when the whistle blows. It's a lottery. Yet blatant headlocks on Ginnivan or double handed shoves in the back see the umps waving 'play on!"

The chopping of the arms has become "any touching of the arms is a free" which makes the job of a defender almost impossible if he is conceding height to his opponent. The forwards still managed to kick bags of goals and take marks when arm chopping was allowed. They have just added another technical roadblock to a player who is trying to defend.

It will allow players to actually engage in a test of strength. I have seen players pinged for grasping the guernsey of an opponent even when there is no impeding of the player's movement and as I said often the player who wins the free doesn't know it is his free so slight was the hold. Surely this common occurrence is a give-away to the fact the frees are often ridiculously technical. The whistle seemed to blow every third marking contest on Sunday. It was becoming farcical.

I also disagree that every infringement is an attempt to impede your opponent. When a big bummed forward like Hawkins plants his feet and backs into the defender with his 110 kg frame a player will place his arms around his waist or clasp his jumper in order to hold his ground. It is in no way interfering with Hawkins ability to raise his arms and mark the ball and if he attempted to move forward but was prevented from doing so due to the arms holding him back then pay the free. It was ridiculous to see the hands in the back rule we endured for a few years when a player would literally simply rest his two hands on his opponent's back for a second or two without in any way impeding or interfering with his approach to the ball being punished with a free in front of goal.

Do you remember the outrageous umps who justified their free kick by telling the player he used two actions when marking the ball? That was another abomination. You have always been allowed to push your opponent in the side when the ball was within five metres before marking it. Dunstall did it five times a week for a decade or more. That rule cost us the famous ANZAC Day loss when Zaharakis kicked the winning goal. Rocca was too strong for Fletcher. He pushed him in the side and under the pill, marked it and walked into gaol to kick the sealer which put us 20 points up in time on. The old "two actions" garbage saw him free kicked and a 50m penalty. Fletcher never complained when it happened, just dropped his head in defeat.

Stop tampering with the game. Some rule changes have been for the better, but the tiggy touchwood interpretation of marking contests between two strong players is a negative. I hold my breath every time there is a contest and you literally have no idea whose free it is when the whistle blows. It's a lottery. Yet blatant headlocks on Ginnivan or double handed shoves in the back see the umps waving 'play on!"

The chopping of the arms has become "any touching of the arms is a free" which makes the job of a defender almost impossible if he is conceding height to his opponent. The forwards still managed to kick bags of goals and take marks when arm chopping was allowed. They have just added another technical roadblock to a player who is trying to defend.
I think the head of umpiring needs a call from Snapper:sweatsmile:

As expressed in another thread, no more warnings on 6-6-6.
And to make the job easier, take away the rule that makes the umpires use esp. the rule that has them guessing the players intent. Yes, guessing.
Between the arch’s, last touch oob is a free against.
It works in AFLW, why not AFLM?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back