Should the GF be played at a Neutral venue?

Should the Grand Final be played at a Neutral Venue?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

There is something unique about the MCG and I think that is why it appeals to so many. The 100k thing is a big thing in my view, if it was a 70k stadium and always had been it would not have the appeal it does have.
Only been there 6-8 times but every time I go it is a special experience, I do however get the same feeling going to the SCG to watch cricket. Maybe it is because I go to these places so rarely.
I had a nephew who moved to Melbourne and he said the first few months he was there he was going to the G every week, once the novelty had gone he said it was just another stadium to go and watch footy.
I have no idea how anyone can rank a stadium the best, so many things that make this up. t is personal choice I reckon. I Love the WACA for example and hate that cricket is moving from there. But that is just me.
But if someone asked me what is the best stadium in Australia I reckon the MCG would still be my pick. Does that mean it should hold the AFL grand final for ever and a day? certainly not, but right now it should.

Broadly agree...Stadia are just the venue...The attraction is the game...I never really understand people who wont go to Docklands for a game because 'our ground is the MCG'...I go to see Richmond, not the ground.

That said, there is something special about the atmosphere huge crowds can produce, and for that, the MCG is on it's own as the only place in the country that can gather so many people.

I dare say people in WA will appreciate the new Perth stadium for many reasons, and while the atmosphere generated simply by having an extra 15,000 people mightn't be the first thing to come into peoples minds, it will be a big part of that.

The width of rhe MCG compared to the Adelaide, Perth and the SCG is one major factor to those teams. This has been well covered by many articles and threads. So narrowing the MCG in the event interstate teams technically earn a home ground advantage would IMO go some way to addressing the inequality in losing a home final.

Why bother? Well that would be the view of someone who doesnt appreciate the differences in ground dimentions would say.

As to distance feom the boundary it wouldnt get any closer it would pushed in 10 - 15m each side.

Regarding moving the game away from the crowd. Cricket does it with a small red and white ball and really is it that much to give up to remove an obvious unfair advantage?

The why bother was because even if they made that change exactly as you desired, it wouldn't reduce the whining one iota.

No it's actually a serious point. People might WANT to go, but being able to is another matter

Whenever a WA team plays a GF in Melbourne, we hear about how the transport system is overloaded getting people from Perth to Melbourne (and back), with stories of some folk having to via Bali, etc.

If the problem was the other way around, you would have that many people going the other way PLUS a great many sponsors, officials, players, AFL members, and the like....at the MCG, there are likely 10-15,000 seats for people from Perth...the other way around would likely be at least double, probably triple that.

If the transport infrastructure struggles with 10,000 people suddenly deciding to cross the nullabor, how do you think it'd handle 40,000?

I also have doubts about if there would be enough hotel beds available, restaurants, and the like but considering how tough it'd be to get there in the first place, that's not really likely to be a concern, is it.

Also remember, that the way people want to run this (top team in the GF hosts), nobody would know for sure if it was going to happen until the week before, so while some preparation might occur, nothing that takes serious money/effort would be done (so no charter planes sitting on the tarmac 'just in case').
but you wouldn't have 100k, you'd have a stadium of 60 so we wouldn't need as many.
Maybe it's time for you guys to fork out money, holidays and travel time to see your team play in a grand final.
I'd say the general consensus is rotated not top team hosting. And if it was top team hosting, so what, you'd still sell it out and you would make it more about the fans as opposed to corporates. Home team would have so many more members.

but you wouldn't have 100k, you'd have a stadium of 60 so we wouldn't need as many.
Maybe it's time for you guys to fork out money, holidays and travel time to see your team play in a grand final.
I'd say the general consensus is rotated not top team hosting. And if it was top team hosting, so what, you'd still sell it out and you would make it more about the fans as opposed to corporates. Home team would have so many more members.

It's not about the time or money, there simply wouldn't be the capacity to transport that many people.

Even though the stadium is 60k, the AFL would still be required to offer all the contracted seats to sponsors, officials, players & AFL members.... Its the allocation to fans that would be cut, which would, ironically, mean that a GF in WA would mean FEWER people from WA would get in if transport wasn't such an issue.

It's not about the time or money, there simply wouldn't be the capacity to transport that many people.

Even though the stadium is 60k, the AFL would still be required to offer all the contracted seats to sponsors, officials, players & AFL members.... Its the allocation to fans that would be cut, which would, ironically, mean that a GF in WA would mean FEWER people from WA would get in if transport wasn't such an issue.
Sure they'd be able to re-write it into up coming arrangements. I'll be alive in 2039, it'll happen then if not before.

When it's there's two interstate teams people are able to be transported. More people go across than have tickets in hope. Others go with family and friends for the ride and many AFL and MCC members are from outside Vic. You make it sound like it impossible to transport roughly 40k people to a city that's 2 million in size. Our airport is being upgraded. New Hotels are coming online. There's AirBnB as well these days.

It can be done. You just don't want it done.

Revenue could easily be made up by increasing ticket prices by a 1 or 2 dollars throughout the whole season. They'll probably make more money that way. lol

You really have no clue how much money the AFL makes from the GF, do you?

It's not just ticket prices...A lot of those massive sponsorships include large numbers of tickets. AFL memberships, the deal the league has with the MCG trust....All of these things put a lot of money into the AFLs pockets.

Last edited:
A strong argument could be made that the last 5 Grand Finals could easily have been won by the loser at a neutral venue, and it just so happens the winner had a huge advantage in the game by playing at their home ground (aside from the Dogs who were still at an advantage at the MCG against the Swans).

This begs the question, should the Grand Final be played at a Neutral venue to make the contest a fair one.

The Grand Final being at the MCG gives the Melbourne based teams too much of a huge leg up...

I’m sure Gil would be keen on this as he is trying to turn the AFL into the NFL, who change venues for the Super Bowl each year and it might be time for the AFL to follow suit.

Perhaps in 2018 or 2019, the GF could be at the new Perth stadium as neither WA team is close to making a Grand Final at this stage...
The Grand Final is contracted to the MCG until 2038, I think.

Maybe we can revisit this discussion in 20 years time

When it's there's two interstate teams people are able to be transported. More people go across than have tickets in hope. Others go with family and friends for the ride and many AFL and MCC members are from outside Vic. You make it sound like it impossible to transport roughly 40k people to a city that's 2 million in size. Our airport is being upgraded. New Hotels are coming online. There's AirBnB as well these days.

It can be done. You just don't want it done.

So when WA teams play in a GF, and there are masses of complaints about how difficult it is to get from Perth to Melbourne, that's what...just typical WA whining?

Now consider how many MORE people would be traveling the other way if the game was in Perth.

The Grand Final is contracted to the MCG until 2038, I think.

Maybe we can revisit this discussion in 20 years time

The contract will be renewed and extended long before that.

Next time these is a major upgrade at the ground (they're already talking about such things), the government and MCG trust will have extending the GF as a condition of them paying for upgrades....Just like they did last time.

The AFL will look around, see no other realistic option where they could hold it, and the extra money going to them as a result, and accept the offer.

Of course the catch-22 is that no realistic alternative ground would ever be built unless it was guaranteed to get the GF on a regular basis, because nobody would fork out that kind of money without being pretty certain they'd fill the ground often enough to make it worthwhile.

I gather you mean sending them to the G instead? I agree totally this should happen, however HQ won't agree with you because would be at the expense of those Tas and NT games and we all know they won't because of their interest in "growing the game". Why the AFL don't send more Vic teams to these places is mind boggling

More Vic teams dont go because they draw bigger crowds in Melbourne.

Its about revenue and growing the game not equalisation. Thats why WA, SA and QLD teams get sent to Tas and the NT instead of the MCG.

Not exactly fair but Gill and previously Demetriou get their six figure bonuses in delivering that outcome.

The why bother was because even if they made that change exactly as you desired, it wouldn't reduce the whining one iota.

Think you are wrong there. Totally wrong.

By doing nothing at all wont appease anyone. By giving a team who earned the 'home ground' advantage choice on the ground dimensionis at least something tangible.

At the moment they get nothing if you are an interstate team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A strong argument could be made that the last 5 Grand Finals could easily have been won by the loser at a neutral venue, and it just so happens the winner had a huge advantage in the game by playing at their home ground (aside from the Dogs who were still at an advantage at the MCG against the Swans).

This begs the question, should the Grand Final be played at a Neutral venue to make the contest a fair one.

The Grand Final being at the MCG gives the Melbourne based teams too much of a huge leg up...

I’m sure Gil would be keen on this as he is trying to turn the AFL into the NFL, who change venues for the Super Bowl each year and it might be time for the AFL to follow suit.

Perhaps in 2018 or 2019, the GF could be at the new Perth stadium as neither WA team is close to making a Grand Final at this stage...

Interstate teams led the way in Grand Finals 11- 5 up until 2012 and that includes the "dark ages" from 2004 to 2006 where for three years running no Victorian teams were represented...Interstate teams have lost the last five in a row, but still sits 11-10 in favour since the AFL national competition came to be. What's the beef?
The MCG is where the Grand Final should be played for the next 100 years, my beef is with how you actually get there...You play a long hard H&A season and qualify higher than a team who finishes below you, yet Gil thinks it's fair to play that game at the lower placed teams home ground!
This is where it gets cloudy. We all know the MCG is where the Grand Final is played, but the AFL have problems with the finals which after all are still qualifying rounds!
Let's face it, the Tigers had a dream run last year and the flag was in the bag once Richmond beat Geelong in the first final.
MCG all the way for the GF, just get the Qualifying finals right!

Last edited:
Interstate teams led the way in Grand Finals 11- 5 up until 2012 and that includes the "dark ages" from 2004 to 2006 where for three years running no Victorian teams were represented...Interstate teams have lost the last five in a row, but still sit 11-10 in favour since the AFL national competition came to be. What's the beef?
The MCG is where the Grand Final should be played for the next 100 years, my beef is with how you actually get there...You play a long hard H&A season and qualify higher than a team who finishes below you, yet Gil thinks it's fair to play that game at the lower placed teams home ground!
This is where it gets cloudy. We all know the MCG is where the Grand Final is played, but the AFL have problems with the finals which after all are still qualifying rounds!
Let's face it, the Tigers had a dream run last year and the flag was in the bag once Richmond beat Geelong in the first final.
They were right , what's the issue.

Interstate teams led the way in Grand Finals 11- 5 up until 2012 and that includes the "dark ages" from 2004 to 2006 where for three years running no Victorian teams were represented...Interstate teams have lost the last five in a row, but still sit 11-10 in favour since the AFL national competition came to be. What's the beef?

Vlad started a Royal Commission into the plight of Victorian Teams after the "dark ages". Suddenly the worm turned. Will the inbuilt and unfair advantages that the Victorian sides get be even given lip service? Unlikely. Increased professionalism of the Victorian sides in coming to terms and utilising those inbuilt advantages, as well as a compliant AFL has lead to the imbalance tipping way back the teams clubs who's members get their A's and their E's mixed up.

Having said that, despite how obnoxious Richmond supporters have become, the alternative was 100 times worse.

Should the qualifying final be played at the home ground of home team? Or the away team?

Bulldogs have to travel to spotless but Richmond can't travel 50 minutes up the road. Money comes before a non-corrupt league. Prioritizing crowd numbers over ladder position. Do any international sports do this? I'd assume many of the major ones would unfortunately as money talks. But assume the more snobby sports couldn't get away with it, as it would undermine their prestige element.
upload_2018-1-17_11-4-59.png
upload_2018-1-17_11-5-50.png
upload_2018-1-17_11-6-28.png
upload_2018-1-17_11-7-14.png
upload_2018-1-17_11-8-13.png
upload_2018-1-17_11-8-35.png

Not 1 thread on all these Geelong HOME games at the MCG...

I even found home games at Etihad in the last couple of years....

From memory, the MCG is Hawthorns home ground, where has all the outrage been over the last 3 years....

If you play home games during the season at the MCG, don't get salty when you play home finals at the MCG....

I reckon we hit up Twiggy Forest and start the IFL. Interstate Football league ala the Western Force. Then we can wait until the VFL come crawling cap in hand when they're broke again.
We could renegotiate and make it a true AFL where the A means Australian.

Where is this neutral venue that can hold 100,000 spectators
Come on
We only need 50k after we banish the free loaders.
Sydney Adelaide and Perth are all ready ;)

View attachment 451620
View attachment 451621
View attachment 451622
View attachment 451623
View attachment 451624
View attachment 451625

Not 1 thread on all these Geelong HOME games at the MCG...

I even found home games at Etihad in the last couple of years....

From memory, the MCG is Hawthorns home ground, where has all the outrage been over the last 3 years....

If you play home games during the season at the MCG, don't get salty when you play home finals at the MCG....

Lol muh triggers

Back