Should the GF be played at a Neutral venue?

Should the Grand Final be played at a Neutral Venue?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

How this got 15 pages deep is beyond me. When another ground is built to the capacity and standard of the MCG, maybe this notion will be entertained.
Seems to just be West Coast fans that are the prime complainers anyway

not for profit, sure...but less revenue still means less available to spend.

So...what spending programs would you cut to make up the shortfall in revenue?

Maybe the millions they send to WAFC each year?
and that auskick stuff isn't really needed...
They have plenty of money to make it up elsewhere. As i've stated before, just increase tickets for every game by a few dollars to make the short fall. It's achievable you sir just don't want it to leave you city. If we did have a plethora of 100k stadiums there would be another issue you'd bring up.

I've heard from multiple AFL players that a packed Adelaide Oval night game is the best atmosphere in the AFL. And thats from two who've played on grand final day.

Well Tex and jerka Jenkins would say that

or the dogs, bombers, blues, north - these clubs have paid off etihad for the afl - done it tough whilst the mcg tenants had a great deal and needed a much smaller crowd just to break even. the afl can still have big marquee games that attract over 55k at the G, but why shouldn't all melbourne clubs share both grounds? you guys played at punt oval - that's your ground. we had morrabbin. now we are both forced to play elsewhere and you want to claim the G as your right?
As for hosting gws - in interests of fairness, of course interstaters should get some games there, especially those that look likely to play finals.
Clubs negotiate their own stadium deals , St Kilda or the blues aren’t forced to play there , it was a preference , so it’s nothing about fairness

They have plenty of money to make it up elsewhere. As i've stated before, just increase tickets for every game by a few dollars to make the short fall. It's achievable you sir just don't want it to leave you city. If we did have a plethora of 100k stadiums there would be another issue you'd bring up.

A few dollars? Five years back they increased prices up to 90 bucks so a few thousand more seats could go to competing clubs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only reason Geelong got their one and only final at KP...

If I recall Sydney/GWS have received home finals and Port also. Geelong are the only non Melbourne club in the League forced to play at the MCG.

The Tigers played 14 times at the MCG in 2017. Not salty at all, in fact quite the opposite, it's like boiling a lump of meat in saltless water for a few hours, then drying it out and seasoning it with the screams of the cow's ghost. I do question why we have a 23 round H&A season and teams who finish higher are disadvantaged come Qualifying Finals time because of it? The GF at the MCG is sacrosanct, but the finals should be played at the home ground of those who qualify higher no matter what the capacity for spectators.

Is the AFL the only league that has the rule that higher placed team gets a Home final? Has the SANFL etc followed suit. I know in the country leagues the league always decides final venues.
Don’t know why interstate teams are complaining about the system ..gives them a real advantage come finals time.

I just love how you toe the AFL line of appearing to support a national competition yet refusing to believe that a GF outside of Vic is possible (which is what this thread is about.)

And yes I agree with you that there are many other factors at play, yet you throw it in my face like you've won some type of televised debate

You're the one who threw the toys out of the cot when I labelled your "the only reason is Vic bias" post as salt. It's got nothing to do with "toeing the line" it's got to do with valid reasons as to why there are no alternatives to the GF - which is what the thread is about and that's fine.

But don't label me as "biased" when I've consistently stated there are other reasons at play - debatable or not. It's not my fault you threw up a childish post which I called out as such and then you get your nose out of joint by trying to label me as bias purely because I support Collingwood

Grow up mate!

If I recall Sydney/GWS have received home finals and Port also. Geelong are the only non Melbourne club in the League forced to play at the MCG.

The Etihad tenets I think can be forced to play at the G. So I think you are in the same boat as the Saints Bulldogs etc
You can’t have Geelong having home finals. How long before Eddie decides Collingwood are hard done by and start playing Home games back a Victoria Park. I’m sure Carlton would like a prelim at Princess Park.

I think the League likes keeping it at the MCG, because -
1) It would make traditionalists really angry if it wasn't (ie. Victorians)
2) They like consistently having 100,000k at their annual final

But I think it would be great for the Grand Final to travel around... it would make it an even bigger event for the city(ies) that host it if it was something that only came around every 3-4 years, and would probably help create the 'festival' vibe the NFL achieves with the roaming super bowl.

I think the League likes keeping it at the MCG, because -
1) It would make traditionalists really angry if it wasn't (ie. Victorians)
2) They like consistently having 100,000k at their annual final

But I think it would be great for the Grand Final to travel around... it would make it an even bigger event for the city(ies) that host it if it was something that only came around every 3-4 years, and would probably help create the 'festival' vibe the NFL achieves with the roaming super bowl.

I think the league likes keeping it There ...... um, maybe it’s a long term contract they signed with the government to provide funding for redevelopment...... without the anchor tenant - no funding.

You don't seriously believe that, do you?

Yes. And for all the complaining, nobody seems to be able to dispute it with any actual...You know, facts.

Most obviously it's an issue with the transport issues with getting at least 40,000 people to Perth on next to no notice, but issues with accommodating, feeding and entertaining these people would also be a problem.

But hey, if you want to argue the point...explain to me how when a WA team plays in the GF and the transport system is flat out getting ~15K from WA to Melbourne to the game that we'd get 40K+ to Perth (and back) on similar notice.

But hey, you're from Adelaide...not such a problem with transport because its more practical to drive/train/bus there, and because any extra planes on the route could get more trips in because it's shorter...but tell me, if you were to be told 40,000 people were arriving next week, how would the hotels, restaurants and other entertainment venues cope with the demand?

Melbourne copes because not only are we a significantly larger city, but we've built up a series of events all through the year which means that extra capacity is in place. That said, if it was suddenly announced a week out, I imagine even we'd struggle with that kind of demand.

I think the league likes keeping it There ...... um, maybe it’s a long term contract they signed with the government to provide funding for redevelopment...... without the anchor tenant - no funding.

Yes, its the place where they earn, by far, the most money, both directly through the game itself, through the sweetheart deal they have with the venue which is based on the game being there, and because they have AFL members there.

I think it should cycle between MCG, AO and Perth Stadium.

Why no games at Metricon, or showgrounds? Surely if the argument is about 'fairness', then surely they should get the game too.
(and of course, Bellrieve if/when a Tas team comes in).

Ftfy

And basically f}#% interstate fans

You can pay thousands just for a flight

We should never hope to watch our team in a home gf so victorian fans reach peak enjoyment?

Listen to yourself.

So few would get to see their team in a home GF regardless.

A GF in Perth wouldn't mean that the ground would be packed out with people from WA after all.

After the AFL allocates tickets to corporates, stakeholders and AFL members, there would be FEWER actual fans getting in with the smaller venues.

Clubs negotiate their own stadium deals , St Kilda or the blues aren’t forced to play there , it was a preference , so it’s nothing about fairness
yes the saints, dogs, and north happily said no to the G, we'll take the terrible deal at etihad instead please, and spend the next ten years living off handouts. seriously? they were given the choice of take it or leave it, nothing more.

Back