Should the season opener be a GF rematch ?

Should the season opener be a GF rematch ?

• Yes

Votes: 129 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 129 50.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

With all due respect to Blues fans , Richmond vs Carlton doesn't exactly have the same appeal that " reigning premier RICHMOND vs Runners up ADELAIDE " does IMO.

Further discussion point - Why isn't more of a deal made of the GF rematch each season ?

Yup, agree with both points. Got nothing against the Blues or the Tiges, but a Grand Final rematch deserves the prestige of the opening match, at the home of the winning team so they can unfurl the flag.

It's weird that the AFL, an organisation that loves these kind of 'narratives' doesn't do this or make a bigger deal of the rematch when it actually occurs.

Yeah for sure. The build up would s**t all over the current one and the game would be a contest far more often.

I'm pretty bloody excited for the season to start but Richmond/Carlton? Nah.

Richmond Adelaide would be *en epic. Tiges unfurling the flag in front of the vanquished, Crows champing at the bit to get revenge, Tex throwing his weight around to prove a point, both teams desperate to get off to a flyer against a fellow contender...

Richmond and Carlton have a rivalry sure, but it isn't that special and these days, it feels more manufactured than genuine.

A GF matchup would whet the appetite of 16 other groups of fans far more than being told by a bunch of flashy ads and talking heads that we should be excited about Richmond Carlton, yet again.

Last edited:
only if its at the home of football.

55,000 in Adelaide is not befitting of the game and the country's biggest football club, Richmond.

Why? Nobody can say a full house in Adeliade is without amazing atmosphere.

That said, I like the idea of the Premiers hosting it. Just for that extra sweet feeling of unfurling a flag in front of your fans AND in front of the vanquished. It would mean even more to interstate fans and would share the season opener around a bit more

Why would you want the first game to between the two teams who played the last game? It makes no sense.

Also it usually takes a bit of time for the grand finalists to get into full swing so let them have the rematch later in the season when they've gotten back into it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah for sure. The build up would s**t all over the current one and the game would be a contest far more often.

I'm pretty bloody excited for the season to start but Richmond/Carlton? Nah.

Richmond Adelaide would be ****en epic. Tiges unfurling the flag in front of the vanquished, Crows champing at the bit to get revenge, Tex throwing his weight around to prove a point, both teams desperate to get off to a flyer against a fellow contender...

Richmond and Carlton have a rivalry sure, but it isn't that special and these days, it feels more manufactured than genuine.

A GF matchup would whet the appetite of 16 other groups of fans far more than being told by a bunch of flashy ads and talking heads that we should be excited about Richmond Carlton, yet again.

The hashtag game.

No ....... Personally, I'm very excited to see Richmond v Carlton. A long standing rivalry, with plenty of history, between 2 of the "Big 4" ........ Imagine the letdown if the previous year's GF had been between two no-mark clubs, who'd just fluked their way into the GF. Imagine a season opener between GWS and Fremantle, or Gold Coast and North Melbourne played in front of a tiny crowd, in a city which really only loves the NRL.

The AFL tried a GF replay in Round one a few years back for a while it didn't get the support it needed, maybe because most of the Grand Finals back then where between the interstate teams or Vic team/interstate team. It just didn't generate enough interest for a round one match.

I think Blues V Tigers is a great starting point between two traditional rivals.

Back