Siddle retires from international cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Easy to forget that Siddle bowled at 145+ km/hr in his early years. Will always remember his huge effort vs Sth Africa in 2012 at Adelaide where he nearly bowled us to victory. Certainly gave his all.

A solid servant to Australian cricket through some real low periods. Really his career can be split into three periods.

From 2008-2010 he was a battler who bowled some good spells but combined them with brainless short-pitched bowling, particularly to the tail. He probably bowled too short on the whole (probably Cooley's fault) and wasn't quite as sharp as he'd be during his peak.

From 2011-2013 he was at his peak. During this time, he was genuinely very good (but not great). His style during this time was typically to pitch it up and move it away late at speeds that were at times borderline express (145 km/h). He also used the short ball to much better effect, either using it to surprise a set batsman (Gambhir at Adelaide 2011/12) or to pin a batsman back before getting them to poke at a fuller one (Kohli at Sydney 2011/12). He was the guy who would get wickets when his teammates were struggling or when nothing was happening.

From 2014-2016 he was mostly just a squad player who filled in when conditions suited seam or when others got injured. When conditions didn't suit seam he was just a holding bowler because he had lost too much pace to be much else.

I'd place him ahead of Lawson but behind Lee in the fast bowling pantheon.

Also could hang around with the bat at times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats on a great career. Played all 3 forms at the highest level. 67 Tests matches with 221 wickets. Played in a tough time for cricket in this country after a lot of the greats retired. Had some great moments like an Ahes Hat Trick on his freaking birthday. Peter Siddle day.

He was also the perfect 3rd seamer in the 5-0 Ashes in 13/14. Johnson bowling fire, Harris bowling quality and Siddle giving nothing away whilst getting wickets of his own.

Over 200 wickets. Wonderful player. Pleasure to have seen him bowl

He'd be good enough at T20 now to travel the world playing that if he wanted to. Not sure what the point would be of him continuing to play Sheffield Shield.

Probably feels honour bound to fulfill his contract. He then has one year to go with his Essex contract which he is going to fulfill as well. I would say while he is still fit and enjoying playing some form of cricket he is the type of guy who wants to play for whoever he has signed up with. Some guys drop all levels of cricket while others slowly wean themselves off the game.

Whatever people think of the last few years of his career (35 wickets at an average of 41.14 in his last 15 Tests), managing 221 Test wickets at 30.66, basically on workrate and heart, is worthy of much more respect that it gets. Doesn't make him one of our all-time greatest pace bowlers, but puts him in the company of those second-tier solid servants like Merv Hughes (his spiritual predecessor), Billy McDermott, Geoff Lawson, etc.

Siddle (and Hilfenhaus) would've gone into all-time Australian cricketing lore if we'd been able to finish the job against South Africa in 2012 (Adelaide) after Pattinson went down. That was a superhuman performance against du Plessis, who was just intent on boring the s**t out of everyone. I half expected the prick to still be batting 12 months later when we got back to Adelaide.

I like guys like Siddle. He wasn't the best, and it was probably only a really limited time that he genuinely would've been in our top 3 quicks if everyone were fit - but you knew he'd bust his arse every time, and he's a guy who got every single bit out of himself.

And of course, extra love for another vegan as well.

I like guys like Siddle. He wasn't the best, and it was probably only a really limited time that he genuinely would've been in our top 3 quicks if everyone were fit - but you knew he'd bust his arse every time, and he's a guy who got every single bit out of himself.
I was surprised when I saw he was in the top 15 all time Australian wicket takers with only like 4 guys to have more wickets in less games

He was also the perfect 3rd seamer in the 5-0 Ashes in 13/14. Johnson bowling fire, Harris bowling quality and Siddle giving nothing away whilst getting wickets of his own.

Over 200 wickets. Wonderful player. Pleasure to have seen him bowl

Made Kp his bunny.

To be honest kp played Johnson pretty well in that series as did ab in the series that followed so siddle causing him so many issues was vital to getting the sweep.

He winkled out Ian Bell several times too. Bell probably played Johnson better than any other Englishman that series and scored a billion runs in the away Ashes series that year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back