Draft Watcher Slice of Pie: 2019 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pie 4 Life what’s your take on the “new” rule in regards to teams trading picks once a bid has been made?

Do you believe it compromises the draft even further?

Will a club in Carlton’s position even bother bidding on an academy or father son kid when they know they aren’t forcing a team in Fremantle’s position to pay for value, or use up a valuable pick resource.

I honestly don’t see the logic in the AFL’s thinking.

We proved after Mozzie fist pump gate last year, that if a club reaches for one of our kids, we'll lump you with him. Wright will not blink if there's a top 10 pick for Finn. He'll pass in a heartbeat.

Having watched Mozzie, we are not unhappy at all with him and it was probably about right (mid draft) where he ended up. Would have been close to a debut if it weren't for a hamstring mid year that put speed hump on his progress.

It just adds fuel to this Hawthorn (obsession) fire that Hawks supporters have with Essendon Irving landed at Tullamarine.

There's your problem right there.

Which club requires the most assistance in acquiring a gun this draft?.....Answer: The Giants....Rules on the run.

Just like the Coniglio Ambassadorial payments.....The COLA you have, when you're not having a Cola.

Which club requires the most assistance in acquiring a gun this draft?.....Answer: The Giants.

I wouldnt have thought a team who has played in the last 4 finals series, including this years grand final was after more star power. Seems like a ploy to justify the sly digs at opposition camps to make ones self feel better.

Which club requires the most assistance in acquiring a gun this draft?.....Answer: The Giants....Rules on the run.

Just like the Coniglio Ambassadorial payments.....The COLA you have, when you're not having a Cola.
Wouldn't it have just been easier to keep the COLA then :think:

I wouldnt have thought a team who has played in the last 4 finals series, including this years grand final was after more star power. Seems like a ploy to justify the sly digs at opposition camps to make ones self feel better.

Such a limp lettuce of a post.

Pie 4 Life what’s your take on the “new” rule in regards to teams trading picks once a bid has been made?

Will a club in Carlton’s position even bother bidding on an academy or father son kid when they know they aren’t forcing a team in Fremantle’s position to pay for value, or use up a valuable pick resource.

Totally agree , think this trading picks thing has gone too far. Know of one of a possible dfa from your club who is stuck in limbo as the club who is chasing him doesn’t know what picks they will have or who will be available at any point in the draft. This is not great for players mental health or allows people in his position to move onto other options if he was totally ruled out. Think the AFL have gone too far in trying to make draft night interesting

Yeah not a fan of it to be honest. Feel free to live trade up until a bid is made, but picks should be locked in once a bid is made and you have to make do with what you have. Proactive thinking should be rewarded rather than reactive thinking, but it will be interesting to see how it goes down.

Yeah not a fan of it to be honest. Feel free to live trade up until a bid is made, but picks should be locked in once a bid is made and you have to make do with what you have. Proactive thinking should be rewarded rather than reactive thinking, but it will be interesting to see how it goes down.

There are so many loopholes this rule will create that the AFL will last one year before removing it. Next year is going to be huge with NGA, FS, Academy kids that they better get it right before then.

I know the question wasn’t addressed at me but if I was Gil, I would say no trading once a bid had been placed. This rule would only effect the club whose player is bidded on. For example, if Hawthorn bidded on a Carlton player, only Carlton couldn’t trade until that bid was matched or passed.

The logic would be to stop clubs from trying to extort other clubs over their academy selection ... as in Melbourne or Carlton say they will bid no matter who is available, and then try to force us into an unfair trade to move up the draft order. They get to pick who they would have picked anyway, and end up with an extra pick/points to use. I have no doubt they were posturing to do this and may have been the reason behind this ruling being clarified.

Maybe we should be expected to trade away 10 before time in anticipation of a bid that might never come. Not the worst solution. But clubs could still try the blackmail option.

Ignore a trade, and match with 10, and we have a lot of surplus points. Freo would argue these surplus points should be used to move our 21 up to 16 or 17. But the clubs we jumped would be in their rights to be very pissed off.

Now Freo can get the best outcome that we can work out ourselves for our academy player, and other clubs are only going to bid if they genuinely want the player. Whether you like it or not is probably related to who you support.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The logic would be to stop clubs from trying to extort other clubs over their academy selection ... as in Melbourne or Carlton say they will bid no matter who is available, and then try to force us into an unfair trade to move up the draft order. They get to pick who they would have picked anyway, and end up with an extra pick/points to use. I have no doubt they were posturing to do this and may have been the reason behind this ruling being clarified.

Maybe we should be expected to trade away 10 before time in anticipation of a bid that might never come. Not the worst solution. But clubs could still try the blackmail option.

Ignore a trade, and match with 10, and we have a lot of surplus points. Freo would argue these surplus points should be used to move our 21 up to 16 or 17. But the clubs we jumped would be in their rights to be very pissed off.

Now Freo can get the best outcome that we can work out ourselves for our academy player, and other clubs are only going to bid if they genuinely want the player. Whether you like it or not is probably related to who you support.
Swings and roundabouts , Clubs would know it will come back to bite them

Having watched Mozzie, we are not unhappy at all with him and it was probably about right (mid draft) where he ended up. Would have been close to a debut if it weren't for a hamstring mid year that put speed hump on his progress.

It just adds fuel to this Hawthorn (obsession) fire that Hawks supporters have with Essendon Irving landed at Tullamarine.
You missed my point. Wright set the precedent last year by lumping you with Mozzie. Doubt a club would try it on with Finn in the top 10 this year. They'll get the same treatment.

If a team picks Finn at 8, they'd wanna rate him at that pick. In fact, I've never seen a mock draft have him lower than 15. It'd be a huge reach.

You missed my point. Wright set the precedent last year by lumping you with Mozzie. Doubt a club would try it on with Finn in the top 10 this year. They'll get the same treatment.

If a team picks Finn at 8, they'd wanna rate him at that pick. In fact, I've never seen a mock draft have him lower than 15. It'd be a huge reach.

Gould at 6? They lost me right there.

We proved after Mozzie fist pump gate last year, that if a club reaches for one of our kids, we'll lump you with him. Wright will not blink if there's a top 10 pick for Finn. He'll pass in a heartbeat.
In what world does a list manager fist pumping become 'gate'-worthy?

Dumping us with mozzie? We wanted him 😂 the first pump when hawks didn’t match.

Totally agree , think this trading picks thing has gone too far. Know of one of a possible dfa from your club who is stuck in limbo as the club who is chasing him doesn’t know what picks they will have or who will be available at any point in the draft. This is not great for players mental health or allows people in his position to move onto other options if he was totally ruled out. Think the AFL have gone too far in trying to make draft night interesting

Splitting the draft over two nights is stupid as well.

18 kids find out one night. 60 plus kids wait another day.

Will be two years running as an Eagles supporter not having any real interest in the first night and have to wait.

Splitting the draft over two nights is stupid as well.

18 kids find out one night. 60 plus kids wait another day.

Will be two years running as an Eagles supporter not having any real interest in the first night and have to wait.
Serves you right for supporting a club that wins more games than it loses and attracts quality players in trade. Real clubs know the real action happens in November and act accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back