Computers & Internet Smartphones no longer useful?

Remove this Banner Ad

With the lack of privacy and everything being monetised and littered with ads and clickbait, social media and mobile games have lost a lot of their charm and whimsy. Remember when it was all new and people would download stupid apps like that one where you can pour a beer from your screen? It was great fun. You can't recreate that novelty and ingenuity.

No longer have my banking app because of several attempts from scammers, including persistent impersonations of my banking app notifications to confirm "a few details".

Attempts have significantly declined since it was uninstalled.

I've an older (about 6 years) Saumsung phone and it keeps telling me I'm running out of space for apps. And no, I can't be arsed putting more memory in it. So recently I purged it of all but the apps I really need/use.

Except for the apps relating to phone calls/contacts/SMS/photos etc, I was left with:

Google Maps (absolutely essential when driving anywhere)
TripView (ditto but for public transport)
Uber (I'm never getting a taxi again. campaigners.)
FB and Messenger (keeping in touch with mates, family and some groups)
Spotify (I couldn't live with this now. Best. App. Ever.)
Shazam (WTF is that song?)
Fitness passport
Samsung internet browser (I hate browsing on my phone, but sometimes you have to)
An antivirus app

Various company apps (Optus, Qantas, elec/gas/water providers, LifeBlood). Easier than using their websites.

Various work-related stuff (Zoom, MSTeams, Outlook, Company portal/authenticator, etc)

WhatsApp (one group of former colleagues keeps in touch via it, we also have a default group on it for my team at work we can use if other channels go down)

Signal (got a group of mates who keep in touch via it, the guy who organises it hates FB and WhatsApp, so insists on it. 🤷‍♂️)

Various government apps (Medicare, Service NSW, MyGov, etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back