Draft Watcher SMYTHE’s 2023 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Culley has played the majority of his junior career as a forward and has looked best in the forward line. I hope once he recovers from his knee he can prove himself as a mid but if we're down the bottom for a few more years we'll be grabbing some top young mids
Maric really looked good when he played and with a full preseason he'll be a jet next year
Maybe we do need another tall forward to develop but just think it'll come from the top end of the draft in the next year or 2
Hine bastin tested really well. Wouldn't be surprised if other clubs have interest late. We might have to use a late pick to keep him.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
There was a good write up on Hine-Bastion, Fonti + Cocking in the RMC Draft Guide that dropped yesterday.
Outside of the main group, HB and Fonti would be my late picks.
Don’t think WCE can use HB as NGA pick as they’re keeping their current boys which leaves 1 rookie pick?

HB played footy against my boys at school for many years and was only put in defence because his school team were getting belted every week. Kid can run and has a booming kick on goals.
I’d like to see a team back him in as a wing/small forward.
Fonti doesn’t have the same raw skill as HB but I reckon he’s a good chance to go late too.

PHANTOM DRAFT
Early crack
I have north giving 2 and 3 for 1 (would likely involve futures/swaps)
I have Bris giving its last 3 picks to Gc to move up to that pick 38
  1. Nth - H.Reid
  2. Gc - J.Walter - bid matched
  3. Wce - D.Curtin
  4. Wce - C.McKercher
  5. Haw - Z.Duursma
  6. Wb - R.Sanders
  7. Gc - E.Read - bid matched
  8. Melb - J.Leake
  9. Gws - C.O’Sullivan
  10. Geel - N.Watson
  11. Ess - C.Windsor
  12. Adel - D.Wilson
  13. Wb - J.Croft - bid matched
  14. Melb - N.Caddy
  15. Haw - W.McCabe - bid matched
  16. Syd - A.Schoenmaker
  17. Gc - J.Rogers - bid matched
  18. Stk - H.Demattia
  19. Adel - K.Tholstrup
  20. Nth - O.Murphy
  21. Gws - M.Edwards
  22. Nth - R.Hardeman
  23. Nth - L.Collard
  24. Coll - A.Reid
  25. Adel - J.Delean
  26. Stk - A.Roberts

1. Carl - T.Jiath
  2. Wce - Z.Zakostelsky
  3. Geel - S.Clohesy
  4. Carl - W.Green
  5. Rich - C.Edwards
  6. Bris - W.Dawson
  7. Ess - P.Gothard
  8. Coll - T.Goad
  9. Freo - A.O’Driscoll
  10. Ess - J.Freijah
  11. Wce - C.Hall
  12. Bris - G.Stevens
  13. Bris - P.Snell
  14. Stk - S.Mannagh
  15. Gc - W.Graham - bid matched
  16. Rich - L.Morris
  17. Melb - S.VanRooyen
  18. Syd - C.Cleary - bid matched
  19. Gws - L.Charleson
  20. Freo - J.Fonti
  21. Wb - L.Lual
  22. Nth - C.Simpson
  23. Wce - L.Lloyd
  24. Freo - H.Johnston
  25. Syd - T.O’Leary
  26. Haw - A.Moir
  27. Carl - J.Callinan
  28. Port - K.McAuliffe
  29. Geel - A.Hastie
  30. Geel - V.Visentini
  31. Stk - G.Payne
  32. Port - L.Evans
Think we may take Mannagh in the PSD? Do we really need a HBF? C.Edwards please,
PHANTOM DRAFT
Early crack
  1. Nth - H.Reid
  3. Wce - D.Curtin
  4. Wce - C.McKercher
  5. Haw - Z.Duursma
  6. Wb - R.Sanders
  8. Melb - J.Leake
  9. Gws - C.O’Sullivan
  10. Geel - N.Watson
  11. Ess - C.Windsor
  12. Adel - D.Wilson
  14. Melb - N.Caddy
  16. Syd - A.Schoenmaker
  18. Stk - H.Demattia
  19. Adel - K.Tholstrup
  20. Nth - O.Murphy
  21. Gws - M.Edwards
  22. Nth - R.Hardeman
  23. Nth - L.Collard
  24. Coll - A.Reid
  25. Adel - J.Delean
  26. Stk - A.Roberts
  27. Carl - T.Jiath
  28. Wce - Z.Zakostelsky
  29. Geel - S.Clohesy
  30. Carl - W.Green
  31. Rich - C.Edwards
  32. Bris - W.Dawson
  33. Ess - P.Gothard
  34. Coll - T.Goad
  35. Freo - A.O’Driscoll
  36. Ess - J.Freijah
  37. Wce - C.Hall
  38. Bris - G.Stevens
  39. Bris - P.Snell
  40. Stk - S.Mannagh
  41. Gc - W.Graham - bid matched
  42. Rich - L.Morris
  43. Melb - S.VanRooyen
  44. Syd - C.Cleary - bid matched
  45. Gws - L.Charleson
  46. Freo - J.Fonti
  47. Wb - L.Lual
  48. Nth - C.Simpson
  49. Wce - L.Lloyd
  50. Freo - H.Johnston
  51. Syd - T.O’Leary
  52. Haw - A.Moir
  53. Carl - J.Callinan
  54. Port - K.McAuliffe
  55. Geel - A.Hastie
  56. Geel - V.Visentini
  57. Stk - G.Payne
  58. Port - L.Evans
Think we take Mannagh in the PSD?, Do we really need a H.B.F, C.Edwards please, especially as you have him at 31.
Geordie Payne from Tasmania.
What type of player is he?

Think we may take Mannagh in the PSD? Do we really need a HBF? C.Edwards please,

Think we take Mannagh in the PSD?, Do we really need a H.B.F, C.Edwards please, especially as you have him at 31.

Payne is a medium defender with speed and run mainly off half~back

He's retired from it.

Archie i had there as best available and would suit the saints i think. Smart user, very dependable and good above his head and very good below his knees. Dont be so locked in to where they play their under 18 football, Archie could play a mid/def role, a mid/fwd role, back pocket, wing, h/f.

Charlie Edwards would also be a good fit here for the saints, i agree with you on that.

Geordie Payne is a little ripper, very competitive, strong for his size, reads the ball well and intercepts, is very speedy and takes the game on with run and carry. He also likes to stay in the play and can sometimes get caught out because of that, but that is easily coached. He won Tassies BNF this year and i think is one sneaking under the radar. Plays similar to a Jayden Short/Adam Saad type.

Archie i had there as best available and would suit the saints i think. Smart user, very dependable and good above his head and very good below his knees. Dont be so locked in to where they play their under 18 football, Archie could play a mid/def role, a mid/fwd role, back pocket, wing, h/f.

Charlie Edwards would also be a good fit here for the saints, i agree with you on that.

Geordie Payne is a little ripper, very competitive, strong for his size, reads the ball well and intercepts, is very speedy and takes the game on with run and carry. He also likes to stay in the play and can sometimes get caught out because of that, but that is easily coached. He won Tassies BNF this year and i think is one sneaking under the radar. Plays similar to a Jayden Short/Adam Saad type.
What do you think of Kobe Shipp, watched some of his highlights & he seems to be a great interceptor, especially at his size.

What do you think of Kobe Shipp, watched some of his highlights & he seems to be a great interceptor, especially at his size.
His ball use and decision making need improving and his endurance and ball winning abilities lack.
I have him behind these guys. He caught my attention last year but has not improved on anything i didnt already know about him, a solid and dependable h/b, but 1 v 1 not great and as i said before, lacks the ball winning ability and endurance.

His ball use and decision making need improving and his endurance and ball winning abilities lack.
I have him behind these guys. He caught my attention last year but has not improved on anything i didnt already know about him, a solid and dependable h/b, but 1 v 1 not great and as i said before, lacks the ball winning ability and endurance.
And Lachie Charleson?

PHANTOM DRAFT
Early crack
  1. Nth - H.Reid
  3. Wce - D.Curtin
  4. Wce - C.McKercher
  5. Haw - Z.Duursma
  6. Wb - R.Sanders
  8. Melb - J.Leake
  9. Gws - C.O’Sullivan
  10. Geel - N.Watson
  11. Ess - C.Windsor
  12. Adel - D.Wilson
  14. Melb - N.Caddy
  16. Syd - A.Schoenmaker
  18. Stk - H.Demattia
  19. Adel - K.Tholstrup
  20. Nth - O.Murphy
  21. Gws - M.Edwards
  22. Nth - R.Hardeman
  23. Nth - L.Collard
  24. Coll - A.Reid
  25. Adel - J.Delean
  26. Stk - A.Roberts
  27. Carl - T.Jiath
  28. Wce - Z.Zakostelsky
  29. Geel - S.Clohesy
  30. Carl - W.Green
  31. Rich - C.Edwards
  32. Bris - W.Dawson
  33. Ess - P.Gothard
  34. Coll - T.Goad
  35. Freo - A.O’Driscoll
  36. Ess - J.Freijah
  37. Wce - C.Hall
  38. Bris - G.Stevens
  39. Bris - P.Snell
  40. Stk - S.Mannagh
  42. Rich - L.Morris
  43. Melb - S.VanRooyen
  45. Gws - L.Charleson
  46. Freo - J.Fonti
  47. Wb - L.Lual
  48. Nth - C.Simpson
  49. Wce - L.Lloyd
  50. Freo - H.Johnston
  51. Syd - T.O’Leary
  52. Haw - A.Moir
  53. Carl - J.Callinan
  54. Port - K.McAuliffe
  55. Geel - A.Hastie
  56. Geel - V.Visentini
  57. Stk - G.Payne
  58. Port - L.Evans

Watson wont get to 8 and the last thing geelong need is a small fwd. In that scenario we would sell 8 (if a lower club wants watson and wants to trade an fr1 for him) or we would take either caddy or wilson (wilson is a very geelong style player and caddy has the family connection).

I do agree we need a ruck late though. Hastie will go in the 2nd round but id love him that late. Someone would say you have clohesy too high but i do think theres a chance we take a mature player.

PHANTOM DRAFT
Early crack
  1. Nth - H.Reid
  3. Wce - D.Curtin
  4. Wce - C.McKercher
  5. Haw - Z.Duursma
  6. Wb - R.Sanders
  8. Melb - J.Leake
  9. Gws - C.O’Sullivan
  10. Geel - N.Watson
  11. Ess - C.Windsor
  12. Adel - D.Wilson
  14. Melb - N.Caddy
  16. Syd - A.Schoenmaker
  18. Stk - H.Demattia
  19. Adel - K.Tholstrup
  20. Nth - O.Murphy
  21. Gws - M.Edwards
  22. Nth - R.Hardeman
  23. Nth - L.Collard
  24. Coll - A.Reid
  25. Adel - J.Delean
  26. Stk - A.Roberts
  27. Carl - T.Jiath
  28. Wce - Z.Zakostelsky
  29. Geel - S.Clohesy
  30. Carl - W.Green
  31. Rich - C.Edwards
  32. Bris - W.Dawson
  33. Ess - P.Gothard
  34. Coll - T.Goad
  35. Freo - A.O’Driscoll
  36. Ess - J.Freijah
  37. Wce - C.Hall
  38. Bris - G.Stevens
  39. Bris - P.Snell
  40. Stk - S.Mannagh
  42. Rich - L.Morris
  43. Melb - S.VanRooyen
  45. Gws - L.Charleson
  46. Freo - J.Fonti
  47. Wb - L.Lual
  48. Nth - C.Simpson
  49. Wce - L.Lloyd
  50. Freo - H.Johnston
  51. Syd - T.O’Leary
  52. Haw - A.Moir
  53. Carl - J.Callinan
  54. Port - K.McAuliffe
  55. Geel - A.Hastie
  56. Geel - V.Visentini
  57. Stk - G.Payne
  58. Port - L.Evans
I have a few queries:
1) Why would clubs wait until Melb to bid on Read, then they take Leake? Weird. Make more sense for Hawks to do it IMO.
2) Why would Melb take Leake over O'Sullivan? Crazy. A young KPD is a great fit, even with Petty.
3) The series 13-18 makes sense but why would Adelaide take Tholstrup over Murphy? They are well short on KPD talent.
After that I have no idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no way North trade 2&3 for Reid. North are happy with their original offer for #1 and it was rejected; they won't increase the bid. So they take Duursma and Curtin IMO since they are already strong in the midfield and McKercher gets pushed to Haw at #5.

I have a few queries:
2) Why would Melb take Leake over O'Sullivan? Crazy. A young KPD is a great fit, even with Petty.
I super agree with O'Sullivan over Leake. With Petty a potential runaway next year and May aging, I think O'Sullivan and Caddy are better picks for us. If Sanders slides to within range because Watson is still a potential WB pick, I think we will take him first over O'Sullivan. And if we have missed Sanders, I expect we will take K.Brown with our pick 42 unless he is already gone.

Also missing from your phantom draft along with K.Brown that I think should be in there are Billy Wilson, and Kristian Ferronato. All of these kids made Coates team of the year. Billy to me is the smoky of these 3 that could go 1st round after he finally got his chance playing midfield where he spent his junior years, but definitely by 20-40. Ferronato and Brown are 30-50.

I have a few queries:
1) Why would clubs wait until Melb to bid on Read, then they take Leake? Weird. Make more sense for Hawks to do it IMO.
3) The series 13-18 makes sense but why would Adelaide take Tholstrup over Murphy? They are well short on KPD talent.
After that I have no idea.
I don’t see the hawks or wb wanting or needing ethan, and clubs don’t bid out of spite, melb I can see taking a crack, and I have had O’Sullivan going there to melb at that spot before in mocks, but Leake I have felt for a while is there man and ahead of O’Sullivan on their board, so that’s why.
in regards to Murphy and Adelaide, in many drafts I have had Murphy going to Adelaide (and to be honest in my next mock draft he is going there), but in this one I had them taking Tholstrup for more firepower and options in regards to multipositional movement throughout their squad And a need for mid options with speed and aggression.

Last edited:
There is no way North trade 2&3 for Reid. North are happy with their original offer for #1 and it was rejected; they won't increase the bid. So they take Duursma and Curtin IMO since they are already strong in the midfield and McKercher gets pushed to Haw at #5.

I super agree with O'Sullivan over Leake. With Petty a potential runaway next year and May aging, I think O'Sullivan and Caddy are better picks for us. If Sanders slides to within range because Watson is still a potential WB pick, I think we will take him first over O'Sullivan. And if we have missed Sanders, I expect we will take K.Brown with our pick 42 unless he is already gone.

Also missing from your phantom draft along with K.Brown that I think should be in there are Billy Wilson, and Kristian Ferronato. All of these kids made Coates team of the year. Billy to me is the smoky of these 3 that could go 1st round after he finally got his chance playing midfield where he spent his junior years, but definitely by 20-40. Ferronato and Brown are 30-50.
we all know it looks like 1 won’t be traded, but I wanted it to be a bit different from the norm, and in my mind if wce were to trade it would only be for 2 & 3, so I made things interesting.

Kynan is not missing from the phantom draft, I highly doubt (imo) Kynan gets a bid, so why waste a pick, he can be rookied as a father son. If a late bid comes, you match it. You won’t waste a pick on him.
Billy could be value as a late draft pick, Kristian may get a look in the rookie draft but imo not national draft worthy, no points of difference in his play or game style compared to many others. Good end to the year but very one dimensional.
i will eat my hat if Billy goes first round, you have been commenting on many threads the last couple of days about him going first round, I very much doubt that will happen. Possible late second round chance - rookie spot.

Last edited:
Hey Smythe, I doubt Essendon take a small forward (Gothard) this year.. Gresham in on top of what we already have. IF we go the smalls route, it's running defenders or marking forwards (mid sized or tall).

A developing ruck wouldn't go astray but feel that could be had in the rookie draft
I understand what you’re saying, but at the time of doing this I took best available, and imo I have gothard projecting to be a better player and more dangerous up forward than Gresham has ever been. In regards to your running defenders and marking forwards want, when making that pick, Logan morris, Harvey Johnston and luamon Lual came into mind at that exact pick, but as I said, I went with best available then picked a winger/mid for needs in Joel Freijah at the next pick.

I understand what you’re saying, but at the time of doing this I took best available, and imo I have gothard projecting to be a better player and more dangerous up forward than Gresham has ever been. In regards to your running defenders and marking forwards want, when making that pick, Logan morris, Harvey Johnston and luamon Lual came into mind at that exact pick, but as I said, I went with best available then picked a winger/mid for needs in Joel Freijah at the next pick.

All good. Our quote is pretty full as it is in the small forward position. Gresham, Tex Wanganeen, Davey (x2 at a stretch), Guelfi, Menzie. That’s more than enough imho

I’d love us to pick up one of those running back flankers later in the draft. A philactides, McCaulfie sounds good. If Stevens was there surely we’d jump all over him. Maybe a fallen tall like a Rudd or Lucas Lloyd could
Be an option.

We have so many holes to fill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still reckon we take Watson.

PHANTOM DRAFT
Early crack
  1. Nth - H.Reid
  3. Wce - D.Curtin
  4. Wce - C.McKercher
  5. Haw - Z.Duursma
  6. Wb - R.Sanders
  8. Melb - J.Leake
  9. Gws - C.O’Sullivan
  10. Geel - N.Watson
  11. Ess - C.Windsor
  12. Adel - D.Wilson
  14. Melb - N.Caddy
  16. Syd - A.Schoenmaker
  18. Stk - H.Demattia
  19. Adel - K.Tholstrup
  20. Nth - O.Murphy
  21. Gws - M.Edwards
  22. Nth - R.Hardeman
  23. Nth - L.Collard
  24. Coll - A.Reid
  25. Adel - J.Delean
  26. Stk - A.Roberts
  27. Carl - T.Jiath
  28. Wce - Z.Zakostelsky
  29. Geel - S.Clohesy
  30. Carl - W.Green
  31. Rich - C.Edwards
  32. Bris - W.Dawson
  33. Ess - P.Gothard
  34. Coll - T.Goad
  35. Freo - A.O’Driscoll
  36. Ess - J.Freijah
  37. Wce - C.Hall
  38. Bris - G.Stevens
  39. Bris - P.Snell
  40. Stk - S.Mannagh
  42. Rich - L.Morris
  43. Melb - S.VanRooyen
  45. Gws - L.Charleson
  46. Freo - J.Fonti
  47. Wb - L.Lual
  48. Nth - C.Simpson
  49. Wce - L.Lloyd
  50. Freo - H.Johnston
  51. Syd - T.O’Leary
  52. Haw - A.Moir
  53. Carl - J.Callinan
  54. Port - K.McAuliffe
  55. Geel - A.Hastie
  56. Geel - V.Visentini
  57. Stk - G.Payne
  58. Port - L.Evans

Interesting effort. If Essendon passed on Caddy, Dodoro's life insurance premium would triple.

PHANTOM DRAFT
Early crack
  1. Nth - H.Reid
  3. Wce - D.Curtin
  4. Wce - C.McKercher
  5. Haw - Z.Duursma
  6. Wb - R.Sanders
  8. Melb - J.Leake
  9. Gws - C.O’Sullivan
  10. Geel - N.Watson
  11. Ess - C.Windsor
  12. Adel - D.Wilson
  14. Melb - N.Caddy
  16. Syd - A.Schoenmaker
  18. Stk - H.Demattia
  19. Adel - K.Tholstrup
  20. Nth - O.Murphy
  21. Gws - M.Edwards
  22. Nth - R.Hardeman
  23. Nth - L.Collard
  24. Coll - A.Reid
  25. Adel - J.Delean
  26. Stk - A.Roberts
  27. Carl - T.Jiath
  28. Wce - Z.Zakostelsky
  29. Geel - S.Clohesy
  30. Carl - W.Green
  31. Rich - C.Edwards
  32. Bris - W.Dawson
  33. Ess - P.Gothard
  34. Coll - T.Goad
  35. Freo - A.O’Driscoll
  36. Ess - J.Freijah
  37. Wce - C.Hall
  38. Bris - G.Stevens
  39. Bris - P.Snell
  40. Stk - S.Mannagh
  42. Rich - L.Morris
  43. Melb - S.VanRooyen
  45. Gws - L.Charleson
  46. Freo - J.Fonti
  47. Wb - L.Lual
  48. Nth - C.Simpson
  49. Wce - L.Lloyd
  50. Freo - H.Johnston
  51. Syd - T.O’Leary
  52. Haw - A.Moir
  53. Carl - J.Callinan
  54. Port - K.McAuliffe
  55. Geel - A.Hastie
  56. Geel - V.Visentini
  57. Stk - G.Payne
  58. Port - L.Evans
Always a good effort when doing a phantom draft, however just a comment on Brisbane's selections.

W.Dawson
G.Stevens
P.Snell

Not a skerrick of speed and if we know anything of the Brisbane Lions drafting speed is valued highly.
If Brisbane has interest in Snell unlikely to be drafted in the main event. At best a rookie selection.
However nothing is beyond possibilities.

we all know it looks like 1 won’t be traded, but I wanted it to be a bit different from the norm, and in my mind if wce were to trade it would only be for 2 & 3, so I made things interesting.

Kynan is not missing from the phantom draft, I highly doubt (imo) Kynan gets a bid, so why waste a pick, he can be rookied as a father son. If a late bid comes, you match it. You won’t waste a pick on him.
Billy could be value as a late draft pick, Kristian may get a look in the rookie draft but imo not national draft worthy, no points of difference in his play or game style compared to many others. Good end to the year but very one dimensional.
i will eat my hat if Billy goes first round, you have been commenting on many threads the last couple of days about him going first round, I very much doubt that will happen. Possible late second round chance - rookie spot.

No. You just made things ridiculous. There is no way that's happening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back