SNFL Div 1 discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

I was not there today but full credit to cranbourne they were lucky to win last weekend but got the job done. Must have been a great game today well done cranny and back to the drawing board for Cheltenham the drought continues!!
Long, long drought. This was their chance! Huge effort by Cranny first year in the comp 1 Division 1 flag. Cheltenham last in 1934 😱

I did not see that win coming ! I jotted down chelt to smash Cranbourne .

If it were dry conditions maybe, but credit were credit us due .

Cranbourne to strong, more hungry .

Well done cranbourne on a successful year .

What does Cheltenham do now ?

Terrible weather for football but it made for some thrilling games.
Cheltenham... Wow!
That ones gonna sting combined losing margin of 10 points between both finals on the day... the voodoo continues.
From what I heard Cranbourne were missing a few players due to the VFL grand final on the Sunday. Great win.
Dingley reserves were terrific. Although were up by 4 goals at 3qtr time and only won by 4. A great finish.
Bentleigh 19s were too classy. Fair play to Endeavour Hills 19s for getting to a grand final when their club is in Division 3, although don't know if that says more about Endeavour Hills or about the poor state the 19s comp is in. Bentleigh look to be in good hands in the future however.
Kristian Bardsley signed on as coach for Bentleigh next season. Thoughts?

Terrible weather for football but it made for some thrilling games.
Cheltenham... Wow!
That ones gonna sting combined losing margin of 10 points between both finals on the day... the voodoo continues.
From what I heard Cranbourne were missing a few players due to the VFL grand final on the Sunday. Great win.
Dingley reserves were terrific. Although were up by 4 goals at 3qtr time and only won by 4. A great finish.
Bentleigh 19s were too classy. Fair play to Endeavour Hills 19s for getting to a grand final when their club is in Division 3, although don't know if that says more about Endeavour Hills or about the poor state the 19s comp is in. Bentleigh look to be in good hands in the future however.
Kristian Bardsley signed on as coach for Bentleigh next season. Thoughts?
Cranbourne played on 22 player points on Saturday, the same as the Second Semi Final team against Cheltenham which had 22 pts also so not sure if you were there watching or just heard about it , in fact Fox not playing full forward for Chelt could have been a factor but Cranbournes smaller team seemed suited to the wet weather, the Rosellas had won 16 straight games so it was devastating just like 2019. Bentleigh winning 3 games for the season need to keep their U 19s but time will tell

Thoughts on Cranbourne after year 1?

Good to have them in the league? Will it push other clubs harder?

The more competition the better I say. While my club had probably its worst year on record and will start the new season in Division 2, I think the SFL should be applauded for looking to grow and strengthen the competition.

Thoughts on Cranbourne after year 1?

Good to have them in the league? Will it push other clubs harder?
Cranbourne have been a great addition to the league. Got a good band of diehard travelling supporters and obviously a strong successful club (who will only get stronger now they know what to expect in the SFNL). An extra team in the 19s as well! They have sent a benchmark for other teams to strive for. It was also great that they didn’t whipe the competition either (think they lost 5 games) which shows that others are close and also that it was the right fit for them. This gauges well for other teams who may look at coming across eg: Narre Warren, as they will know it won’t be a walk in the park!

They’re a great club no doubt about that and they deserve the flag. But let’s be honest they should be in mpnfl, those clubs didn’t want to travel and it’s a shame for them and a gain for this league. Narre warren will be a good addition to the efnl
What makes you think Narre Warren will join EFNL ??? from all reports SFNL are lobbying Narre hard to join SFNL and start in Divvy 1, while EFNL have told Narre that they would start in Div 2 if they were to come across, and also if they were to come across they have to give Outer East 12 months notice of their intention to leave Outer East, as Kinglake have just found out. Unless AFL Vic come to play. Would be great to have Narre join SFNL and reconnect the old rivalaries of Casey Cardinia and SWGFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What makes you think Narre Warren will join EFNL ??? from all reports SFNL are lobbying Narre hard to join SFNL and start in Divvy 1, while EFNL have told Narre that they would start in Div 2 if they were to come across, and also if they were to come across they have to give Outer East 12 months notice of their intention to leave Outer East, as Kinglake have just found out. Unless AFL Vic come to play. Would be great to have Narre join SFNL and reconnect the old rivalaries of Casey Cardinia and SWGFL.

Kinglake told the OEFL mid-year of their intention to leave the competition but they were happy to cross over to the Northern league either at the end of 2022 or 2023. Last week, the OEFL backflipped and said they were never advised at all by the Lakers that they wanted to leave (bullshit) and would force them to stay.

The curve ball is that the OEFL has let its affiliation to AFL Victoria lapse and they are actually unaffiliated, which obviously means unaffiliated leagues (and clubs) do not have access to benefits that affiliated leagues do (insurance, etc.).

We saw in June this year that the Picola DFNL's affiliation lapsed and they refused to renew. AFLV told the league and its clubs that all external clearance requests with a Picola league club as the destination would be rejected immediately and that any clearance requests from a Picola league club to a club in another league would be granted immediately without recourse. This gives us an idea of how unaffiliated leagues will be treated by AFLV.

Kinglake has been approved by the Northern FNL clubs earlier this month. If the Outer East says 'no' after their recent pithy attitude in general and says they never receive the request that they did get (it was publicised at the time), then Kinglake can - and should - pull the "I want to play in an affiliated competition for the benefit of our club, members and supporters" card and they should end up being given approval to cross over prior to the 2023 season.

They’re a great club no doubt about that and they deserve the flag. But let’s be honest they should be in mpnfl, those clubs didn’t want to travel and it’s a shame for them and a gain for this league. Narre warren will be a good addition to the efnl
Yes they probably should be in mpnfl they said one of the main clubs opposing it was Sorrento because of travel but they are happy to travel to edi-as and bonbeach which roughly the same distance think some clubs didn’t want another good side to compete against there loss and sfnl gain and goes to show sfnl Div 1 is a bit stronger than some think as Cranbourne didn’t dominant like some thought they would

Disband the SFNL and start a new comp with VAFA clubs that have no chance to ever get to the top .

So you are saying combine the SFL with the southern VAFA Divisional Clubs? Sounds like a reasonable plan.

After the farce of VAFA 2022, I am sure you'd get a few clubs happily walk away and leave the old tie brigade to their own devices.

Maybe have Division 1 and 2 as it is and then split the remaining clubs into North and South (North A, South A, North B, South B, etc.) with a view to regrading them into more suitable divisions. After the first season you could regrade the clubs by filtering equal numbers of north and south teams into new divisions.

D1
D2
D3 - top 5 North A / top 5 South A
D4 - bottom 5 North A / bottom 5 South A
etc.

So you are saying combine the SFL with the southern VAFA Divisional Clubs? Sounds like a reasonable plan.

After the farce of VAFA 2022, I am sure you'd get a few clubs happily walk away and leave the old tie brigade to their own devices.

Maybe have Division 1 and 2 as it is and then split the remaining clubs into North and South (North A, South A, North B, South B, etc.) with a view to regrading them into more suitable divisions. After the first season you could regrade the clubs by filtering equal numbers of north and south teams into new divisions.

D1
D2
D3 - top 5 North A / top 5 South A
D4 - bottom 5 North A / bottom 5 South A
etc.
Southern Bayside clubs , not Eastern or clubs like Narre Warren

Yes they probably should be in mpnfl they said one of the main clubs opposing it was Sorrento because of travel but they are happy to travel to edi-as and bonbeach which roughly the same distance think some clubs didn’t want another good side to compete against there loss and sfnl gain and goes to show sfnl Div 1 is a bit stronger than some think as Cranbourne didn’t dominant like some thought they would

The suggestion that the SFNL isn’t a realistic destination for strong clubs was always silly. It may not have the greatest depth but that’s only because all the clubs that’s geographically should be in it are in other leagues. There is still some strong clubs in D1 that have shown they can recruit and compete.

I’ve said a number of times, the solution is quite simple, give the southern Peninsula clubs their own league, which is what they want, a country league to play each other, and put the rest in an expanded SFNL. Would be a great suburban comp with all the clubs north of Frankston.

The suggestion that the SFNL isn’t a realistic destination for strong clubs was always silly. It may not have the greatest depth but that’s only because all the clubs that’s geographically should be in it are in other leagues. There is still some strong clubs in D1 that have shown they can recruit and compete.

I’ve said a number of times, the solution is quite simple, give the southern Peninsula clubs their own league, which is what they want, a country league to play each other, and put the rest in an expanded SFNL. Would be a great suburban comp with all the clubs north of Frankston.
Love this idea what would a rough Div 1 and Div 2 be based on this model? The rest I could probably figure out….be remaining SFNL teams but would be interested to see what MPNFL teams you place where. Happy for you to do the whole league if you have time?? I suggest 10 team divisions as they work best (even home and away games playing each other twice).

I've combined the current SFNL clubs with potential division clubs from the VAFA and MPNFL. The structure is based on 2022 results.

DIVISION ONE (10)
Cranbourne
Cheltenham
St Paul’s McKinnon
Dingley
St Kilda City
Springvale Districts
Port Melbourne Colts
Mordialloc
Bentleigh
Chelsea Heights

DIVISION TWO (10)
East Malvern
Doveton
Keysborough
Caulfield Bears
East Brighton
Hampton Park
Highett
Chelsea
Parkdale Vultures
Black Rock

DIVISION THREE (10)
Skye
Heatherton
Oakleigh
Prahran Assumption
Glen Eira
Murrumbeena
Ashwood
Carrum-Patterson Lakes
Endeavour Hills
Lyndhurst

DIVISION FOUR (8)
Narre South Saints
Clayton
South Yarra
Power House
Sth Melb Dist
Elsternwick
Albert Park
Frankston Dolphins

DIVISION FIVE (8)
South Mornington
Hallam
Dandenong
Lyndale
Moorabbin Kangaroos
Hampton
Cerberus
Doveton Eagles

Other possibilities (16): Beaumaris, Bonbeach, Box Hill North, Canterbury, Edithvale-Aspendale, Frankston Bombers, Frankston YCW, Hampton Rovers, Hawthorn, Masala, Old Peninsula, Ormond, Pines, Richmond Central, St John’s, Seaford.

Last edited:
Bedford, here are your Southern Amateurs. You might need to pinch some SFNL clubs to have a decent Bayside comp.

DIVISION ONE (8)
Beaumaris
Hampton Rovers
Parkdale Vultures
Ormond
Glen Eira
Prahran Assumption
Oakleigh
Power House

DIVISION TWO (6-7)
South Melbourne Districts
Elsternwick