So who won trade week!?

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton also picked up an extra top 10 pick, pick 11 and pick 19 on top of the young guys that they took a gamble on.
To do that they give away 1 first round pick from next year (8), 2 x 2nd round picks this year (11) and a player that didn't want to be at the club.
Having 4 picks in the top 19 is a good effort in any trade period, especially when we gave away sfa to get those extra picks.
It is a good get, but that is why it is in the "Time will Tell" bracket. If we draft 4 players and they don't make the grade, then it was a bad period.

They turn into 200 game players and we won the period.

Carlton get an F.

Henderson left, and then they blinked first in the Yarran trade and bent over.
Got four VFL players from GWS who are not much chop.

Yeah sure they have four draft picks in the top 20, but Carlton do as well with draft picks as what a whale would do with a bicycle.

Disastrous couple of week for Carlton.

I actually think they did very well.

They got pick 8 for Henderson, who is iffy and definitely not a star that is not in their window. They got Plowman and others for a song plus plenty of handy picks. Offloaded another player not in their window and even Menzel is a little iffy so smart trading in my book whilst royally ******* RFC up the arse without lube in the process getting them to give up 2 second rounders instead of using RFA. CFC played RFC to a tea really.

The only downside for CFC is RFC will probably get a lot of personnel changes end of 2016 bringing in people that have a clue what they are doing!!!

It is a good get, but that is why it is in the "Time will Tell" bracket. If we draft 4 players and they don't make the grade, then it was a bad period.

They turn into 200 game players and we won the period.

Fair enough too but with the types that SOS has recruited into GWS with similar picks, it's fair to say that he will pick some pretty reasonable players.

crows have lost danger and have not even nearly replaced him = big time losers
AFC have been criticised for years for midfield imbalance - too many inside midfielder & not enough quality on the outside.

Hence the Crows have used some of the Dangerfield currency to fix areas of need, rather than a like for like replacement. We already have Thompson, Sloane, Douglas, B&M Crouch, Ellis-Yolmen & Lyons as inside midfielders & most are not suited to outside roles. Trading for another inside midfielder would be stupid, unless at absolute gun - but none were available.

The Crows have struggled with our quality on the flanks with the likes of Mackay, van Berlo, Henderson & Wright... so we have brought in players who we think will upgrade the weak spots in our team - or at least make them compete harder to keep their spot.

For those who understand Adelaide's list well, this is not difficult to understand.

I actually think they did very well.

They got pick 8 for Henderson, who is iffy and definitely not a star that is not in their window. They got Plowman and others for a song plus plenty of handy picks. Offloaded another player not in their window and even Menzel is a little iffy so smart trading in my book whilst royally ******* RFC up the arse without lube in the process getting them to give up 2 second rounders instead of using RFA. CFC played RFC to a tea really.

The only downside for CFC is RFC will probably get a lot of personnel changes end of 2016 bringing in people that have a clue what they are doing!!!

Haha ignore Ron mate, he is a just a collingwood troll posting in every thread to try and get some attention. You won't get anything of any substance out of that dimwit.

Make a statement on what has transpired during trade week and leave your personal opinions out.
The guy about to make those 4 selections recruited the bloke that your club has just spent 2 weeks chasing and spent mega bucks on. ;)

We turned 15, 34, 53, Currie, Basti
into 17, 26, 28, 47, Anderson

15 to 17 - A small downgrade nothing exciting
34 to 26 - An 8 pick upgrade, ok but not special
53 to 28 - Huge upgrade for this year, balanced by losing 2016 3rd rounder
Currie to 47 - evens, happy to assist Cuz
Basti to Anderson - A solid and fair trade that most would have done at the start of the period.

So all up we moved a lot around, improved a few little tweaks and landed Anderson our target player. Good solid period but nothing more. Evens.

I rate us a B

We played some tricks but i still feel was missed a few others, had we ended with 10 which i believe was attainable i would have given us an A but for unknown reasons it didn't happen.

4 live picks to play with in the draft. Again we have solid but not amazing picks, lets see what we can do with them.

We turned 15, 34, 53, Currie, Basti
into 17, 26, 28, 47, Anderson

15 to 17 - A small downgrade nothing exciting
34 to 26 - An 8 pick upgrade, ok but not special
53 to 28 - Huge upgrade for this year, balanced by losing 2016 3rd rounder
Currie to 47 - evens, happy to assist Cuz
Basti to Anderson - A solid and fair trade that most would have done at the start of the period.

So all up we moved a lot around, improved a few little tweaks and landed Anderson our target player. Good solid period but nothing more. Evens.

I rate us a B

We played some tricks but i still feel was missed a few others, had we ended with 10 which i believe was attainable i would have given us an A but for unknown reasons it didn't happen.

4 live picks to play with in the draft. Again we have solid but not amazing picks, lets see what we can do with them.
2nd round picks can be like gold you just have to look at what the Lions did in the 2009 AFL Draft we made the best of a bad situation

Has to be Pies doesn't it?

They got every single target they were after. So did Geelong I guess.

Pretty much everyone got what they wanted except Freo with McCarthy.

Following a previous poster's grading system...

Clear winners:

Geelong - Got good value on Smith and Dangerfield. Fair value on Henderson. Selwood for free.
Essendon - Got reasonable value on Carlisle and Melksham. Bird and Leunberger bonuses.
Richmond - Yarran and Townsend both make them a better side.

Winners:
Carlton - Got fair value for Yarran, Henderson, Bell, Menzel. Got good value on GWS players and good draft picks.
Melbourne - Lost Howe and Toumpas. While gaining Melksham and Kennedy. Think it makes them better as one flashy out, in two contributors.
North Melbourne - Anderson makes them better. Basta was surplus. They did well.
West Coast - In Jetta, Redden. Makes them better. Out goes Selwood and Sinclair. Honest trade period.

Time will tell:
Brisbane - Lost Leuenberger, Aish and Redden. Gained Walker, Jansen, Bell. Focus is on Academy Players. Hard to Value.
Collingwood - Aish, Howe and Treloar but gave up a lot. Paid fair value so jury still out. Will depend on how those players go. Lots of question marks.
Fremantle - Got Bennell. Boom or bust.
St Kilda - Carlisle could be a long term piece for them but paid close to full value.

Slight Losers:
Gold Coast - Lost Dixon, Bennell, Smith. Question marks over all of them. Not sure on Currie and Rosa. Need to wait and see.
GWS - Got fair value on Treloar and Hampton. Gave away other players seemingly cheaply.
Port Adelaide - Paid a fair value for Dixon. Not sure its a smart move though but could win them a flag.
Western Bulldogs - Got Suckling for free. Lost Talia for basically free. Stood still when a lot around them were improving.

Clears losers:
Adelaide - Lost Dangerfield. Paid top 20 points value for Menzel. Picked up quantity not quality.
Hawthorn - Lost Anderson for points value of 41. Lost Suckling. Pick suffles.
Sydney: Lost Jetta. Got Sinclair. Lost Bird.

Geelong obvious winners.

I also think Carlton have done really well to lay the foundations for a complete rebuild.

It's going to be a very tough couple of years, but as long as a couple of the gws boys develop and they don't stuff up their draft, they couldn't have done better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong and Collingwood both had fantastic trade periods. Clear winners for mine. They did sacrifice a lot though and are largely out of both this and next years drafts which will mean they either have to nail late picks (Geelong has a good history of this) or trade back into 1st or 2nd round next year to keep bringing in young talent. That is unless they continue poaching young talent from other clubs and good luck to them if they do.

Its not just about getting your targets, its about the price you pay. Not sure Collingwood got any bargains as such but credit to them for convincing them to come in the first place.

Destroyed their next 2 drafts to do it.

GWS for mine

Lost a good player, cleared the decks and set themselves up for the next 2 years draft wise. WINNERS!!

Its not just about getting your targets, its about the price you pay. Not sure Collingwood got any bargains as such but credit to them for convincing them to come in the first place.

Yeah that is true. I don't think Pies overpaid for anyone but Geelong may have for Henderson so Pies > Geelong for that fact.

Following a previous poster's grading system...

Clear winners:

Geelong - Got good value on Smith and Dangerfield. Fair value on Henderson. Selwood for free.
Essendon - Got reasonable value on Carlisle and Melksham. Bird and Leunberger bonuses.
Richmond - Yarran and Townsend both make them a better side.

Winners:
Carlton - Got fair value for Yarran, Henderson, Bell, Menzel. Got good value on GWS players and good draft picks.
Melbourne - Lost Howe and Toumpas. While gaining Melksham and Kennedy. Think it makes them better as one flashy out, in two contributors.
North Melbourne - Anderson makes them better. Basta was surplus. They did well.
West Coast - In Jetta, Redden. Makes them better. Out goes Selwood and Sinclair. Honest trade period.

Time will tell:
Brisbane - Lost Leuenberger, Aish and Redden. Gained Walker, Jansen, Bell. Focus is on Academy Players. Hard to Value.
Collingwood - Aish, Howe and Treloar but gave up a lot. Paid fair value so jury still out. Will depend on how those players go. Lots of question marks.
Fremantle - Got Bennell. Boom or bust.
St Kilda - Carlisle could be a long term piece for them but paid close to full value.

Slight Losers:
Gold Coast - Lost Dixon, Bennell, Smith. Question marks over all of them. Not sure on Currie and Rosa. Need to wait and see.
GWS - Got fair value on Treloar and Hampton. Gave away other players seemingly cheaply.
Port Adelaide - Paid a fair value for Dixon. Not sure its a smart move though but could win them a flag.
Western Bulldogs - Got Suckling for free. Lost Talia for basically free. Stood still when a lot around them were improving.

Clears losers:
Adelaide - Lost Dangerfield. Paid top 20 points value for Menzel. Picked up quantity not quality.
Hawthorn - Lost Anderson for points value of 41. Lost Suckling. Pick suffles.
Sydney: Lost Jetta. Got Sinclair. Lost Bird.

I don't think it's fair to grade a team based on players who asked for trades. Take Adelaide with Dangerfield for example. He was always going to leave and they managed to get a decent return for him rather than the pick 14 FA compo they likely would have received. They also managed to fill a clear need for outside run which will allow Brodie Smith to become a midfielder which will soften the blow of losing Danger. Brad Crouch is virtually a new recruit for them next year too. Harsh to call them a clear loser.

You could also argue that Hawthorn didn't lose given their position. They have a list with huge depth and players not able to force their way into the best 22. This leaves them vulnerable to losing players to raids by other clubs offering players more game time. Anderson and Suckling aren't huge losses when they have guys like Litherland, O'Rourke, Hartung etc. to come into the team. They also have pick 15 and 18 to supplement the list nicely. When you have a team that has won 3 premierships in a row there will be players on big coin and salary cap pressure. No one could have realistically expected them to bring in A Grade talent through trades. I would go as far as saying they are a winner given they didn't lose much when it was possible for them to lose plenty.

Brisbane are a clear loser for mine. Lost Redden, Aish, and Leuy and besides Bell, only brought in fringe players.

It's a hugely subjective time of the year. You can make a case either way for most teams depending on whether you rate short or long term success as the deciding factor.

I think the Pies and Cats are the winners. I might scrap the Pies in front just because they didn't give up as much.

Sent from my iPhone

I also think Carlton have done really well to lay the foundations for a complete rebuild.

It's going to be a very tough couple of years, but as long as a couple of the gws boys develop and they don't stuff up their draft, they couldn't have done better.

Yeh I think that's it. Plenty of fans, myself included, have been calling for a knock-down rebuild. Not a renovation, not an extension, a demolition of the current list and an all new construction. We're getting it. That's a win in that it marks a new, modern approach rather than the tired old Carlton method which doesn't work any more.

Fingers crossed SOS and co nail the draft - he's given himself the opportunity to do so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back