AJ_2000

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2007
Right Here.... Right Now.
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Houston Roughnecks
The FFA need to focus on this. It is our major tournament for the next 4 years (before the 2014) and we currently have the players capable of doing this (or going close).

After the debarcle of the 2007 campagin, poor planning, GA in charge, the arrogance of the FFA that we would be able to march in their and take the trophy home on reputation, I really hope the lessons have been learnt

The Qatar enviornment won't pose as many problems for us, we have performed well their during the recent WC qualifying campaign. Weather wise should be ok, compared to what we have faced previously.

Focus on securing the new coach (and soon). Make sure it is his priority for the next 7 months that we leave Qatar with the cup. No transition period excuses - planning for the next WC campaign - there is plenty of time for this after.

Secure the commitment of the current elder players. Chipperfield, Bresca, Kewell should be sought out to go to Qatar in addition to all the current mainstays of the side. They all still have plenty of tallent and the capability to perform a role for us.

let's focus on the big fish...

we should plan for 2014 (using the Asian Cup as a stepping stone)...

the Bresc/Chippers won't be there in 2014, so perhaps short-term pain = long-term gain?

We need to win the Asian Cup and we need to show the Asian confederation that we are serious about the tournament. Also qualifying for the Confederations Cup is pretty important as it is a good lead-up tournament in the venues that will be used for the World Cup.

I agree with AJ, we need to get the best coach we can fast and really zero in on this. We have not won a major competition, the competition itself won't draw much attention to soccer but winning it will after what many may feel was a disapointing world cup.

Make winning the AFC a important to us as Euro is for European clubs, managers performance should be based heavily on this.

Great in theory but as most of our best players are European based, it does not appear on their Club Managers radar. Getting them to play will be difficult - nigh on impossible.

Shouldn't be too much of an issue, maybe 10 years ago when the Socceroos weren't a major player in the global game. FIFA are stronger on this and will enforce the release of the players.

The African Cup of Nations is held every 2 years, and always played during the European season. Nowadays there isn't many problems securing the tallent.

It also comes down to the desire of the players to want to be there:
  • Disapointing WC performance - for the older heads a chance to leave on a more positive note
  • Opportunity for up and comming/frindge players to secure their place under a new manager
  • Win a major(ish) trophy for themselves, and their country

Ok makes sense now, weather is Asia wouldn't be too bad June-July for a tournament but I guess apart from us most countries have players based in the Asian leagues. I guess if the African countries can pull players every 2 yrs we should be able to force them to

Question. Why does it get played during the European season?

There is choice between playing it in January or June/July, because the weather in Qatar is ridiculously hot in June/July they decided to play it in January.

As I understand it, as it is a continental championship players will have to be released. They are always are for the African Cup of Nations or the Copa America, I can't see why they shouldn't be for Asian Cup. I stand to be corrected, but seriously, if any Australian player is serious about playing for the National Team they should be putting their hand up to play, regardless of whether their club wants them to or not.

That weather factor will hopefully stop Qatar from getting the 2022 world cup... but thats another story.

Back in the dark days of Australian soccer, players could pick and chose when they wanted to represent the green and gold. Thankfully with the WC qualifications, extra player development and increased overall professionalism those days are long gone. Anyone now opting to prefer to stay at their club rather then travel to Zambia for a mid week friendly will kiss goodbye any chances they have of being a part of the national team.

In fact I can't remember the last club v country issue we had.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

let's focus on the big fish...

we should plan for 2014 (using the Asian Cup as a stepping stone)...

the Bresc/Chippers won't be there in 2014, so perhaps short-term pain = long-term gain?
World Cup is 4 years away this tournament is played in around 6 months. How much can we 'develop' our squad for a world cup that is 3.5 years from starting?

We need to have a mixture of the current squad and youth.

There's no point throwing in 11 young players and see if they sink or swim because it will backfire.

Players like Williams, Spiranovic, Oar, Vidosic etc. need to be given a chance, mixed in with Kewell, Neill, Schwartzer etc.

It's a tougher tournament than FFA want to believe.

Hopefully we can go deep into the tournament.

I think we really need to focus on this tournament as it stamps our authority and our ranking as the Number 1 Asian Team. We need to go in there with a good mix of youth and experience and get as many of the experienced people in as possible to ensure success.

I think we really need to focus on this tournament as it stamps our authority and our ranking as the Number 1 Asian Team. We need to go in there with a good mix of youth and experience and get as many of the experienced people in as possible to ensure success.
Yes the Fifa rankings say were number 1 in Asia but personally i think South Korea are number 1, with Australia and Japan 2 & 3.
That said i agree, we need to take this competition seriously. Anything less then a Semi Final apperance is a fail in my books.

I get the feeling the FFA will not send a full strength squad. We could still send a decent team with some of the younger squad players getting some match time.

Even still, we should be looking to go deep in to the tournament, regardless of who we send.

Moyes came out and has said he doesn't want Cahill to play "meaningless friendlies", I wonder if he would have the same attitude to his players representing England and Scotland etc.

I get the feeling the FFA will not send a full strength squad. We could still send a decent team with some of the younger squad players getting some match time.

Even still, we should be looking to go deep in to the tournament, regardless of who we send.

Moyes came out and has said he doesn't want Cahill to play "meaningless friendlies", I wonder if he would have the same attitude to his players representing England and Scotland etc.

It's not comparable because you con fly anywhere in Europe in a few hours. To get here and back takes days.

I think you will find our next batch of friendlys are being played in Europe or North Africa, except for the farewell game back here in October.

Which puts us pretty much on a par as most european sides

We have the U20 youth World Cup and the Olympic games football tournament to develop our younger players; IMO we should field this team:

Schwarzer GK
Carney LB
Neill CB
Lowry/ CB
Spira
Wilkshire RB
Valeri DMF
Emerton RMF
Kewell LMF/AMF
Cahill CMF/AMF
Kennedy CF
Macca CF

Play with a 4-4-2, I remember Pim's first game against Qatar, he played 4-4-2 and we tore Qatar to shreds, who are a respectable side. We were 3-0 up at 1/2 time. No Chippers and Grella in the squad - they are of no use to us anymore, unless Grella turns things around bigtime this season for Blackburn. Add Bresciano and take away Scotty Mac if we want to play a 4-5-1 formation.

Must use the likes of Tommy Oar, Rukavystya, Matthew Leckie even off the bench, give the youngsters some game time. I have no doubt we can win the Asian cup using the team above. Maybe the FFA can hire me as national team manager - I'll do it for 200,000 a year no dramas, a darn sight cheaper then what the likes of Pim got!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back