Footy Dept. Soon to be ex-GM - List & Recruiting Adrian Dodoro #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

How could I forget Gumby!!!!

I mean, when you look back and see we drafted/had Ryder, Belly, Gumby, Pears, Hooker, Hurley, Crameri, D. Daniher, Carlisle and Jenkins, it is quite appalling and disappointing that we weren't set for 15 years with the talls. On talent we should have been laughing, but between injuries, the saga and defections it wasn't to be.

Spine of:

FB: ... Carlisle Pears
CB: ... Hurley
RK: Ryder
CF: ... Gumby Crameri
FF: ... Hooker Belly

Would have been frightenning.

Seriously, “frightening” is over the top. Hooker, Hurley, Ryder and to a lesser extent Bellchambers are the only ones on that list I rate highly over their careers. Gumby is only there due to potential displayed at junior level. Never showed anything at AFL level. Pears showed some good signs but not a great deal more.

In what world do teams never lose any players? It happens to literally every other side who all manage to deal with it ok, but when it happens to us it’s somehow an anomaly that sets us back decades.

Seriously, “frightening” is over the top. Hooker, Hurley, Ryder and to a lesser extent Bellchambers are the only ones on that list I rate highly over their careers. Gumby is only there due to potential displayed at junior level. Never showed anything at AFL level. Pears showed some good signs but not a great deal more.

In what world do teams never lose any players? It happens to literally every other side who all manage to deal with it ok, but when it happens to us it’s somehow an anomaly that sets us back decades.
Pears showed a lot more than that before the major injury. But how you rate them, and what weight we give to their potential is obviously a matter of opinion.

Sure, teams lose players. But not normally ones which are on the up, which is what we were pre-saga. And definitely not when a player is contracted for 2 more years and we get tiddly winks for him. Or is our leading goal kicker for 3 years in a row, is mid-20s and we get pick #26.

Pears showed a lot more than that before the major injury. But how you rate them, and what weight we give to their potential is obviously a matter of opinion.

Sure, teams lose players. But not normally ones which are on the up, which is what we were pre-saga. And definitely not when a player is contracted for 2 more years and we get tiddly winks for him. Or is our leading goal kicker for 3 years in a row, is mid-20s and we get pick #26.

I prefer saying we got Merrett for Crameri

IMO if Carlisle had stayed down back and Hooker went forward, Carlisle would have been an AA Full-Back, and Hooker would have been an AA FF.

Carlisle's body failed him, but he was a genuinely good player. Hooker went forward very late in his career and showed he would have been a force in his prime.

IMO if Carlisle had stayed down back and Hooker went forward, Carlisle would have been an AA Full-Back, and Hooker would have been an AA FF.

Carlisle's body failed him, but he was a genuinely good player. Hooker went forward very late in his career and showed he would have been a force in his prime.

Carlisle body did fail him but jeez he was lazy. Easily had the talent to be a gun KPF but found out it was much easier to cruise around the backline

Carlisle body did fail him but jeez he was lazy. Easily had the talent to be a gun KPF but found out it was much easier to cruise around the backline

Had the talent to be an AA Defender and was forced to play forward to help the team in a completely dysfunctional club that got him suspended for an entire season?

Find it hard to be too judgemental of the bloke.

The real issue was fit. Carlisle had a visible tattoo so wasn't nice and soft enough to be a true Essendon type.

Even Stringer's flying lion is acceptably under the jumper.

Imagine if McGrath shows up to pre-season with a full sleeve! Then we'll know for sure that we're in the premiership window.

The real issue was fit. Carlisle had a visible tattoo so wasn't nice and soft enough to be a true Essendon type.

Even Stringer's flying lion is acceptably under the jumper.

Imagine if McGrath shows up to pre-season with a full sleeve! Then we'll know for sure that we're in the premiership window.

People laugh when ive brought this up before but every premiership team has at least one or two guys who are on the edge. Jake is one but who else? nada that I can think of with leg Tatts or thing Tatts let alone a sleeve.

People laugh when ive brought this up before but every premiership team has at least one or two guys who are on the edge. Jake is one but who else? nada that I can think of with leg Tatts or thing Tatts let alone a sleeve.
Perkins was the loosest unit in Portsea and McGrath got Saturday detention when his hair grew past his collar.

Dude, sleeves and leg tatts pretty much qualify you as a barista or a designer these days. Facial tatts or gtfo!

I think an interesting post-mortem of Adrian’s career may well be that he achieved his greatest success in the February supplemental period and mid season draft.
the 2020 draft is looking shakey and I suspect essendon supporters will be looking at tsatsas, Humphrey and phillipou closely over the next 5 years.
it is also frustrating that he only got a couple of inside mids in caldwell, Hobbs and setterfield in the last couple of years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think an interesting post-mortem of Adrian’s career may well be that he achieved his greatest success in the February supplemental period and mid season draft.
the 2020 draft is looking shakey and I suspect essendon supporters will be looking at tsatsas, Humphrey and phillipou closely over the next 5 years.
it is also frustrating that he only got a couple of inside mids in caldwell, Hobbs and setterfield in the last couple of years.
How many more inside mids could we handle?

Perkins, Reid and Cox could still be an outstanding 3.. Perkins already showing it and I’m pretty bullish on Cox given what we saw year one. His body will click and he will be the man.

Reid is the joker in the pack. It’s all body with him. I reckon he will get there. Body will settle a la Pat Cummins and he will be a star. He is an absolutely superb kick of the footy. Doesn’t need to be a bash and crash guy. Just needs enough strength for his frame.

Last edited:

Perkins, Reid and Cox could still be an outstanding 3.. Perkins already showing it and I’m pretty bullish on Cox given what we saw year one. His body will click and he will be the man.

Reid is the joker in the pack. It’s all body with him. I reckon he will get there. Body will settle a la Pat Cummins and he will be a star. He is an absolutely superb kick of the footy. Doesn’t need to be a bash and crash guy. Just needs enough strength for his frame.

Yeah I’m fairly confident that if Cox’s body holds up then he’ll be an excellent Ridley type defender.

No idea on Reid. Looks a smart footballer but didn’t move that well or seem strong in the contest when I watched him play but given his height and footy smarts it could all click

Guys I think we need to cut Adrian some slack from the drugs saga. No first rounders and not exactly a destination team. Yet we still manufactured Langford and Laverne in that time, and got rid of Jake ******* Carlisle for pick 6. The saga set our whole club back a long way, and I think the recruiting over the last 8 or so years has been pretty good. You can't predict Orazio for a pick in the 50s becoming the player he did only to leave, McKenna for free almost becoming the best Irish recruit ever then leaving only to come back and play for another team, Favourite son Daniher leaving the club after we built our future around him after he kicked 60 in a season, Saad coming over to us only to leave after 3 years or whatever, Devon smith shrewd recruit wins our BnF in first season then injury ruins his career... The list goes on. Let's also not forget how he stuck true and didn't throw the kitchen sink at Dunkley to let us get Cox, Reid and Perkins. As much as I love Dunkley, he would not improve our team by as much as these guys will.

And now, We have an insanely talented young core
-Draper + Bryan In the ruck
-Caldwell, Setterfield, Parish, Tsatas, Durham, Hobbs, Perkins, Nic ******* Martin as our future mids
-Cox, Reid, 2mp, Ridley, Hayes, Jones all showing some serious promise as our Keys
-Mid range picks like Langford, Laverde, Redman, Merrett becoming pillars of our team
-Let's also not forget the players we have got for basically nothing and are mainstays in our team: Walla, Weid, 2mp, Durham, Snelling, Guelfi, Massimo, Menzie, Zerk. That's walla, a Crichton medallist and 2 top 3 finishes.
-And we now have just about the most cap space in the league to go after a big fish

Hes also had to adapt list management strategies from having 4 coaches during that time. This isn't as much a list management issue as it has been an issue starting from the board down. I think this year has proven that.

Chill guys, Were on the way up. We just need some experience in these kids bodies. Once your Perkins, Hobbs, Tsatas, Cox, Reid, etc have 100+ games, we will be very, very good. Ridley, Redman, Mcgrath, Parish, Langford, Draper in their Primes. I'm not salivating, you are.

Guys I think we need to cut Adrian some slack from the drugs saga. No first rounders and not exactly a destination team. Yet we still manufactured Langford and Laverne in that time, and got rid of Jake ******* Carlisle for pick 6. The saga set our whole club back a long way, and I think the recruiting over the last 8 or so years has been pretty good. You can't predict Orazio for a pick in the 50s becoming the player he did only to leave, McKenna for free almost becoming the best Irish recruit ever then leaving only to come back and play for another team, Favourite son Daniher leaving the club after we built our future around him after he kicked 60 in a season, Saad coming over to us only to leave after 3 years or whatever, Devon smith shrewd recruit wins our BnF in first season then injury ruins his career... The list goes on. Let's also not forget how he stuck true and didn't throw the kitchen sink at Dunkley to let us get Cox, Reid and Perkins. As much as I love Dunkley, he would not improve our team by as much as these guys will.

-Caldwell, Setterfield, Parish, Tsatas, Durham, Hobbs, Perkins, Nic ******* Martin as our future mids
-Cox, Reid, 2mp, Ridley, Hayes, Jones all showing some serious promise as our Keys
-Mid range picks like Langford, Laverde, Redman, Merrett becoming pillars of our team
-Let's also not forget the players we have got for basically nothing and are mainstays in our team: Walla, Weid, 2mp, Durham, Snelling, Guelfi, Massimo, Menzie, Zerk. That's walla, a Crichton medallist and 2 top 3 finishes.
-And we now have just about the most cap space in the league to go after a big fish

Hes also had to adapt list management strategies from having 4 coaches during that time. This isn't as much a list management issue as it has been an issue starting from the board down. I think this year has proven that.

Chill guys, Were on the way up. We just need some experience in these kids bodies. Once your Perkins, Hobbs, Tsatas, Cox, Reid, etc have 100+ games, we will be very, very good. Ridley, Redman, Mcgrath, Parish, Langford, Draper in their Primes. I'm not salivating, you are.
That was all RFK

I agree perkins, Reid and Cox could be outstanding but right now only perkins is a serviceable to good afl player.
big blokes do take longer but Cox has only shown glimpses as a wingman and Reid has not displayed anything at afl level.
my point with inside mids is he finally recruited some.
I hope in 3 years my post looks silly and both Cox and Reid have grown into their bodies and are flourishing.
I would just like to see some green shoots.

It is a complete myth that the saga meant we ended up with a lack of high draft picks and that’s why why we’ve been average in recent years.

It is precisely because of the saga that we landed pick 1, which we used on McGrath. Without the saga, we don’t get that pick. It is also unlikely we would have Ridley were it not for the saga as well.

Also, dodo actually managed to do the best drafting of his career during the saga affected years. It’s when we picked merrett, fantasia, etc. Even I’ll concede that dodo had a good year that year in the ND.

Half the players you list above either are unproven or are not young. Merrett is 27 ffs so hardly counts in the talented young core. Merrett will be VERY lucky to get a flag during his career given his age. And when he leaves, we’re left with another gaping hole to fill.

And therein lies the problem. Dodo can find some talented players here and there, but can’t do it in a time period where they’re all in the right age profile and balanced across the field to make us competitive.

I agree perkins, Reid and Cox could be outstanding but right now only perkins is a serviceable to good afl player.
big blokes do take longer but Cox has only shown glimpses as a wingman and Reid has not displayed anything at afl level.
my point with inside mids is he finally recruited some.
I hope in 3 years my post looks silly and both Cox and Reid have grown into their bodies and are flourishing.
I would just like to see some green shoots.
Yep it sure would be nice to go from hopeful to confident on Reid & Cox

….
Well, if you ignore players like Watson, Myers, Hocking, Melksham, D Clarke, Parish, McGrath and a few other late picks along the way.

It is a complete myth that the saga meant we ended up with a lack of high draft picks and that’s why why we’ve been average in recent years.

It is precisely because of the saga that we landed pick 1, which we used on McGrath. Without the saga, we don’t get that pick. It is also unlikely we would have Ridley were it not for the saga as well.
We got pick #4 in 2015. We could easily have finished that low again. Maybe McGrath wouldn’t be here but a high pick + Ridley is certainly possible.

The Saga definitely impacted the return we got for Ryder, Crameri and Hibberd.
And therein lies the problem. Dodo can find some talented players here and there, but can’t do it in a time period where they’re all in the right age profile and balanced across the field to make us competitive.
Except we did have such a team heading into 2013.

Posted this earlier
Been listening to a bit of better journalism and some key take aways are that coaches and to a lesser extent list managers are in an 8 - 10 year 'build' so it matches up with the jungle drums of the saga ruining any list build he was aiming for.

We really did screw any potential opportunity to push deep into finals with the failed program we ran.
Listened to something during the week and they were talking about the Demons list build and it has been 8 years. I know Ant555 has been a loud speaker regarding the Pies focusing on endurance runners for a long time and now reaping the benefits of it.

It's easy enough to get stars in early from your own capital (talking Geelong here) and then filling in the bits around these stars for an extended period of time. I think they (Geelong) fall of a bit of a cliff because the kids coming through are just not as great as the Hawkins, Dangers, Selwoods from yesteryear) and will be found out soon enough I think.

Movign forward, those stars have not yet fully established themselves to spend our first. We are close to knowing who our A graders are but lets go one more year bringing in youth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back