South Australian State Election March 2014.

The Holden announcement means the election is more likely to be a small Labor victory again. There's too much footage of the federal Libs pouring it on Holden the weeks before GM announced, Marshall is going to be buried under the backlash against them unless he can turn on them and distance himself, and come up with a genuine plan he can articulate to the voters. Jay has a bad plan, but at least it's a plan, and the large ALP base will get behind it - Marshall so far has nothing.

The Holden announcement means the election is more likely to be a small Labor victory again. There's too much footage of the federal Libs pouring it on Holden the weeks before GM announced, Marshall is going to be buried under the backlash against them unless he can turn on them and distance himself, and come up with a genuine plan he can articulate to the voters. Jay has a bad plan, but at least it's a plan, and the large ALP base will get behind it - Marshall so far has nothing.

The Libs need six seats to govern in their own right. The Holden issue could strengthen Labor in the Northern suburbs, but I don't think that this alone would sway voters in the marginal electorates in the Western suburbs. It would be close at this stage, but it's still unlikely that Labor would win.

In any case, Marshall must be close to throttling Abbott.

*Labor gets voted in*

"South Australia is going backwards! We have no money!"

Labor: "Relax, it'll all be great when the Olympic Dam expansion happens."

*Federal Labor introduces Mining Tax - BHP Billiton says 'Thanks, but no thanks' - crickets from State Labor*

*Holden closes - dumb* Weatherill blames Federal Liberals for not pumping South Australian (and other states) taxpayer money into subsidizing workers*

*Labor wins again*

"South Australia is going backwards! We have no money!"

Rinse. Repeat.

Change the channel, Marge. Marshall doesn't need to do anything at all except lower the taxes on companies and get some movement in the economy again. Labor seems to have geared up for a mining boom that hasn't even left the station yet.

I think you're confusing how you want it to work, with how it actually works in this state. "Lower taxes and get small business going again" is as empty, meaningless and ineffective as everything Jay has come up with, except it also happens to sound completely impotent as well.

no point lowering taxes when there is no small business, industry or mining; but doubling the dole would double SAs GDP

I think you're confusing how you want it to work, with how it actually works in this state. "Lower taxes and get small business going again" is as empty, meaningless and ineffective as everything Jay has come up with, except it also happens to sound completely impotent as well.

No point lowering taxes for small business because Jay has destroyed small business in SA

No point lowering taxes for small business because Jay has destroyed small business in SA

Empty hyperbole. The problems of this state are the responsibility of the last 30 years of governments of both stripes, and open market platitudes or accusations against the most recent government alone are pointless, and achieve nothing.

Holden is closing in 2017...what does the Great Leader push for to stimulate the economy? Money for all the promises they made last election - electrification of the Gawler line (would be nice, but not a priority - will only keep those doing the other electrification work in their jobs for a little while longer), 1.1 billion for the Northern Connector (so freight can travel faster from Perth to Melbourne on rail...great for SA) and the upgrade to South Rd in the North.

Such a disgusting and blatant grab by Weatherill to further politicize a commercial decision and keep government workers in their jobs for a few years so he can get re-elected. The only thing I agree with is the idea of sealing the road to the Cooper Basin - I can see economic benefit in that.

Under Mike Rann the state has invested heavily into infrastructure, with projects like the Northern Expressway, Southern Expressway Duplication, the new RAH, upgrade of Adelaide Oval, South Road "Superway" and the Bowden "TOD" site acquisition to name a few.

Mike Rann was premier 5 March 2002 – 21 October 2011.
Don't forget the Port Stanvac Desalination Plant

Holden is closing in 2017...what does the Great Leader push for to stimulate the economy? Money for all the promises they made last election - electrification of the Gawler line (would be nice, but not a priority - will only keep those doing the other electrification work in their jobs for a little while longer), 1.1 billion for the Northern Connector (so freight can travel faster from Perth to Melbourne on rail...great for SA) and the upgrade to South Rd in the North.

Such a disgusting and blatant grab by Weatherill to further politicize a commercial decision and keep government workers in their jobs for a few years so he can get re-elected. The only thing I agree with is the idea of sealing the road to the Cooper Basin - I can see economic benefit in that.

SA will do it tough for another 10-15 years no matter what it's leaders do.

moving away from dead industries will be tough for a state addicted to individual and corporate welfare but opportunities now await. This change will be painful and slow but the longer it takes to accept, the longer it will take to achieve.

The risk is they will fall from car manufacturing to defence contracts and effectively take a massive step backwards. It will be an interesting journey but a journey I think SA is finally ready for!

What I find interesting in SA is that all major news outlets are in love with Labor, which I believe is a bit different that the rest of the country.

I'm still not sure how any of the two parties can promise to fix the SA economy, it has been broken for so bloody long.

Reducing an over bloated, over regulating Public disService would be a good start. We have a too huge parasite to host ratio.

Reducing an over bloated, over regulating Public disService would be a good start. We have a too huge parasite to host ratio.

I see the merit in this, the biggest problem is what will those people do?

we almost need to ask the feds to employ them for 10 years whilst we find new jobs for them

Holden is closing in 2017...what does the Great Leader push for to stimulate the economy? Money for all the promises they made last election - e.
Super profits tax on Roxby, Beverly etc etc..

Anyone listening to the idiot Weatherill today after Abbott announced a 100 million dollar package? Goes right into negative mode, even though it's more money than what Mitsubishi workers received when that plant closed (50 million) and more than what Ford workers received when they left (76 million). The guy is a cancer, and he knows all he can do is carp on about the negative rather than saying like Nepthine did that it's a good first step. No one has said that that's all the money that will be given - it's just that unlike the Labor government, Abbott wants to see where the other money should be spent before giving it out to dead people and people overseas.

We all know the real reason the premier is filthy though - the money the feds are giving SA and Victoria only kicks in at the middle of next year. Silent Jay and his Insane Clown Posse will be out on their arse by then hopefully.

Jay has alot to answer for, he has guided us into recession, destroyed the backbone of our economy in small business with huge costs to prop up his incompetent government and has not done a thing about the costs of living in water and electricity. Then there was the school sex scandal, it just goes on and on

Jay has alot to answer for, he has guided us into recession, destroyed the backbone of our economy in small business with huge costs to prop up his incompetent government and has not done a thing about the costs of living in water and electricity. Then there was the school sex scandal, it just goes on and on

Why you must give them credit for the infrastructure they have built, that the only thing they did was ask for Fed handouts and borrow money, doesn't paint them in the best light in terms of economic developers.

I prefer state labor governments as a general rule

I don't have any preference in SA as the state needs leadership not politics

Which is why the Liberals haven't won in a long time - a succession of empty suits leading the party, with what control and leadership they did have constantly eroded by a bunch of even emptier Vickie Chapmans suits. The real concern for Marshall is, if he wins, how long until the same empty suits, who are once again occupying the shadow portfolios, start trying to steal the empire from him?

Which is why the Liberals haven't won in a long time - a succession of empty suits leading the party, with what control and leadership they did have constantly eroded by a bunch of even emptier Vickie Chapmans suits. The real concern for Marshall is, if he wins, how long until the same empty suits, who are once again occupying the shadow portfolios, start trying to steal the empire from him?

The point of a state government is to spend and roll out services. labor is a spending government thus they are born to run a state.

the federal government has to be a little more strategic which is why I prefer liberal federal governments.

Obviously that is a very broad brush assessment

Back