News Stadium: The NEW Home of Football in WA

Remove this Banner Ad

I thougt I recall hearing that the naming rights deal with Optus was for AFL only, and that it would remain 'Perth Stadium' for other non-footy events. It was billed as the most lucrative naming rights deal in the history of selling out. Yet the ODI on 28 Jan is being advertised as taking place at 'Optus Stadium'.

So did I simply hear wrong, or is Optus getting some free advertisaing here?
They mentioned that on 6PR last Wednesday evening, and apparently it is allowed to be called Optus Stadium for one cricket game a season, then it reverts to Perth Stadium. Which is interesting, since as you stated - it was originally conveyed by the WA government that it would only be Perth Stadium for cricket events.

They mentioned that on 6PR last Wednesday evening, and apparently it is allowed to be called Optus Stadium for one cricket game a season, then it reverts to Perth Stadium. Which is interesting, since as you stated - it was originally conveyed by the WA government that it would only be Perth Stadium for cricket events.

I drove past today and there was a crane installing some massive permanent white letters on the side of the stadium spelling "Optus Stadium"

I drove past today and there was a crane installing some massive permanent white letters on the side of the stadium spelling "Optus Stadium"
That one will say "Optus Stadium Yes" anti clockwise of the north eastern vomitory.
There are 3 more in the works on the external façade .

I am under the impression it was to go under the sponsor name for all regular events but not for special international events like; Commonwealth games, Athletics, Test Cricket, Rugby, Soccer and star concerts.

I prefer to have a few beers and a meal pre game and rarely drink at the footy but thought it might be wise to sample some of Gage Roads offerings all the same just in case. I got a pint of Single Fin and could not finish it. More of a brewing experiment than a beer imo. At least there won't be any public drunkenness at the footy if that's a good example of their wares.

You think that's bad ,go try Big Head no carb beer- kid you not i felt like a horse eating hay,and people pay top dollar for this s**t

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I prefer to have a few beers and a meal pre game and rarely drink at the footy but thought it might be wise to sample some of Gage Roads offerings all the same just in case. I got a pint of Single Fin and could not finish it. More of a brewing experiment than a beer imo. At least there won't be any public drunkenness at the footy if that's a good example of their wares.

I have a flog mate that sends snap chats all the time of him opening a single fin at home after work and it makes me laugh every time. Don't rate it at all.

I have a ticket for the Open Day on Sunday 1.00-2.00 pm session that I can't use. Just the one ticket. Anyone want it send me a PM and I'll be happy to email you the ticket in PDF format for you print at home.

Thought I'd offer to fellow Freo fans first rather than put it on the stadiums board thread.

It's so much better than Subi. The ability to walk around the ground on the inside and still be able to see the field from almost every position (on the ground level at least) like at Etihad was fantastic. I still don't know if I found my seat or not because the signage is horrible. I'm in 136 and the sign near my seat said 135 but the sign down the front said 136 and had an arrow pointing to the block.

The fence on the bottom tier is not an issue. My mates are sitting front row and they don't hinder the view at all. The see through ones on the upper tiers don't look like they will be a problem either.

I was surprised by how small the toilets were though. I was expecting them to be much bigger but it is roughly the same size as Subi with individual urinals instead of a trough. If anyone has been in the new toilets at NIB they are similar to them.

So to those that went today what's it like? If you're in the front row of the tiers is the "pool fence" a factor?
Not if you're over 180cm, wouldn't be blocked from anything, the front row clearance from the ground is actually pretty big - my girlfriend who is on the shorter side however had a little bit blocked by the fence but nothing too bad (from the front row)

Children would have to peer between bars though

S/O to SallyWidebottom thanks for the tickets as well

So to those that went today what's it like? If you're in the front row of the tiers is the "pool fence" a factor?

I can't imagine there is anything better than this anywhere.
Like gaskin said you can watch the game as you walk around the concourse.
Stairs, automatic escalators and elevators to upper levels.
I can see people getting to the games hours early because there is so much to do and see there; plenty of bars restaurants and parks and lakes outside.
I thought the public transport system was faultless.
I was embarrassed by Subiaco but this new Perth Stadium is something I hope interstate AFL fans will come over to see.
The seats are very comfortable and people will not have to stand to let people pass and the pool fencing no problem.

Oh, If I have one regret it is Colin Barnett doesn't get his name on the plaque as the premier who opened it.
We have Colin Barnett to thank for this Stadium.

Last edited:
Not if you're over 180cm, wouldn't be blocked from anything, the front row clearance from the ground is actually pretty big - my girlfriend who is on the shorter side however had a little bit blocked by the fence but nothing too bad (from the front row)

Children would have to peer between bars though

S/O to SallyWidebottom thanks for the tickets as well

Thanks G Mus. Do you mean the fence at ground level or the one on the tiers? Cheers.

I can't imagine there is anything better than this anywhere.
Like gaskin said you can watch the game as you walk around the concourse.
Stairs, automatic escalators and elevators to upper levels.
I can see people getting to the games hours early because there is so much to do and see there; plenty of bars restaurants and parks and lakes outside.
I thought the public transport system was faultless.
I was embarrassed by Subiaco but this new Perth Stadium is something I hope interstate AFL fans will come over to see.
The seats are very comfortable and people will not have to stand to let people pass and the pool fencing no problem.

Oh, If I have one regret it is Colin Barnett doesn't get his name on the plaque as the premier who opened it.
We have Colin Barnett to thank for this Stadium.
Going to AFLW the game on the 10th . Which will be my first look , Unless i can get tickets to the Scorchers home final (if it happens )

Remove this Banner Ad

Back