Movie Star Wars - Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker - Spoilers and Rumors

Remove this Banner Ad

All JJs fault to go the mystery box route in TFA, and ignore his best idea (following the path of a deserted stormtrooper). Also the idea of the Empire having a similar fate to the post-ww2 Nazis, where they fled around the world/galaxy, and many were hired to the allies/NR while others hunted down....that was a vastly under-explored aspect of TFA.

TFA was just as bad as TLJ and TROS in its own ways, and full of cringe things like Chewy ignored by Leia, Finn matching Kylo, Rey defeating Kylo, Luke/Hamill wasted, etc. TFA might have resembled an ok film in comparison to the monstrosities of TLJ and TROS, largely because it copied tropes and story beats of ANH. But it stunk just as much.

Only R1 has been a respectable SW movie from Disney/LFL post-Lucas.

I don't necessarily disagree with this, the overall foundations were more solid at the end than the ST's were.

Or this. That said, I still stand by the fact that TFA and TLJ didn't need much more explaining other than some background detail on how the First Order formed in the first and just how they asserted their grip so quickly in the second. All the other important mysteries (the conclusion of Rey's heritage, Ren's fate, Snoke's influence) would have been addressed in the third, but they screwed the pooch by completely rewriting the narrative.

I feel there were considerable gaps in the backstory overall in the TFA/TLJ duology. Particularly around the First Order as you mentioned, and more broadly, how did we all just end up back to another iteration of Empire vs Rebels again.

Lots of opportunities for some exposition here and there spurned, or sometimes even downright dismissed when raised onscreen (“a good question....for another time”).

Have said it before, a 30 year gap since ROTJ and then choosing to have two films spanning a week or so was a mistake. One of many made during the sequels. Which I’m not sure how much can be salvaged by way of the additional material being proposed.

It would be almost impossible to think Disney would find a way to uncanonize and delete the ST movies in order to re-write them better. Dont think any studio has ever done such a thing to a universe with historical lore behind it. Unheard of. But it would be the best thing to do rather than continue to dig its own grave or keep doubling down on the ST by trying to find ways in other media to make it stand up. Call it a huge mistake and toss it all away imo. If a studio had the balls to ever do such a thing, it's SW that needs it done.

It's a sound base. Look, I don't like the fact the Emperor returned, I don't like Dark Empire, the only writer that really made clones work was Timothy Zahn. But clones are an established part of Star Wars, so if we accept that the Emperor transferred his consciousness to the clone (and we have to because it's in the film), the retreat to Exegol, Operation Cinder to punish the galaxy, a rebuilding of his troops from in hiding, an attempt to perfect his body fit the films. It's now up to the books and any future shows to flesh out the landscape and make it better.

The prequels weren't good, in particular the flipping of expectations about which side the clones were on still nags, but people say the books and cartoons gave it more depth and made it more interesting. That's the challenge now.

Clones were engineered and actually thought though, hence Kamino existing in PT, if we believe Palp did these things, you need to consider how ROTJ ended with him basically going out of view falling still spewing his lightning as if he's a broken toy.

Suspension of belief is, he's of sane mind to transmit his entire consciousness from one body to another spanning time and space whilst being that broken toy spewing lightning screaming his head off.

Bridge too far for mine, if they bridged with Snoke like put Snokes home close to Endor and touched anothe rmind of dark force user and blah blah then transited upon Renlo dance sequence, plausible, as time, space and mysterious enough to suspend belief, but not screaming falling to death before core implosion and entire spatial destruction that was retroactively lessened and havign clarity of mind.

Clones were engineered and actually thought though, hence Kamino existing in PT, if we believe Palp did these things, you need to consider how ROTJ ended with him basically going out of view falling still spewing his lightning as if he's a broken toy.

Suspension of belief is, he's of sane mind to transmit his entire consciousness from one body to another spanning time and space whilst being that broken toy spewing lightning screaming his head off.

Bridge too far for mine, if they bridged with Snoke like put Snokes home close to Endor and touched anothe rmind of dark force user and blah blah then transited upon Renlo dance sequence, plausible, as time, space and mysterious enough to suspend belief, but not screaming falling to death before core implosion and entire spatial destruction that was retroactively lessened and havign clarity of mind.
Well pointed out. Their actual method for explaining how it was done is ludicrous, especially when they talk about how often his attempts at cloning failed. Now right at the end, a hail mary pass as hes falling dying in the shaft he manages to transmit his consciousness across vast time and space is laughably bad.

Disney just tried to add Harry Potter elements to it and someone should be exiles because of it. From the magic sabre that chooses it's owner to Palpatine shooting his consciousness around ala Voldemort.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Disney just tried to add Harry Potter elements to it and someone should be exiles because of it. From the magic sabre that chooses it's owner to Palpatine shooting his consciousness around ala Voldemort.

Not to mention little force portals (or whatever its called) where you can pass and swap objects to each other....or the classic force healing trick.

Stabbed through the chest with a lightsaber? No dramas. You’re healed now thanks to the force. Qui Gonn Jinn would’ve loved a dose of that magic in episode 1. Would’ve been pretty handy during Order 66 as well....

The new trilogy just had little to no magic.

TFA was just too samey and cheap.

TLJ had fleeting moments and nice visuals, but that's it.

TROS also had fleeting moments and the scene with Han probably the best with how it plays along with the scene from TFA.

Otherwise that's it. You can get away with b grade plots if there's heart and magic. There wasn't enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back