Autopsy Started off 2024 in style terrific hard fought win against Melbourne by 22 points

Remove this Banner Ad

So no? I mean we were 17th worst in clearances and contested ball last year and we were plus big in both categories.
It's been one game...

If we go all the way with Grundy's work being a large part of it, I will be the first to acknowledge it.

Watching live at the ground, Hayward's work rate was incredible. One minute he was deep forward, then the next he was running back with the ball to spoil it deep in Melbourne's attack. He and Fox as hard-running flankers who are threats up forward in the air and on the ground are great weapons to have.
Hayward's best game in a while. Sharing the defensive duties with Fox seemed to free him up quite a bit.

Robbie Fox was nowhere near our best but being at the ground helped me see how hard he was working as the high half forward runner type that bedford accurately forecasted he would be. His running is quite something to watch live. A couple of shots at goal and some quality tackles made it a good first game in the role for a guy I’ve always been very fond of. Wholehearted and tireless worker of a player that every club needs.
It really made Hayward more effective as well , great work by the coaching staff

Watched the game just now, unfortunately I live in Florida so it was a 3am stay.

Grundy was unreal.
Really liked McLeans game I reckon he’ll have a great year.
Imo Jordan out for Sheldrick, he was ok but I didn’t think he had any real impact.
Geez Warner looks primed.
Jordan was very quiet early. But had some really good moments in the 3rd and 4th quarter as he grew into the game. Not outstanding by any stretch, but he definitely improved, and I think will take a lot of confidence from getting one over the old team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 small things I really enjoyed: McDonald despite getting beaten by May still managed to compete all night and finally get a goal which lead to a spectacular spray from May on Lever and seeing Jordon know all th words to the team song whilst Grundy didn't have a clue

The Grundy effect is more than his individual role. It is also about how he energises the team. The mids seemed to grow in confidence over the course of the game as they watched him slowly overpower Gawn.

Thanks Pies.
I think this guy will be a game changer.
He'll also gel with them more overtime. He made a few missed handballs thinking where he expected them to be, they'll learn when to run for his handballs and he'll learn where to handball.

It really made Hayward more effective as well , great work by the coaching staff

Agree with this too. Hayward out of the square looked good. I like that they’ve let him off from having to do all the grunt running and the forward defensive roles (Fox stood on Lever much of the night from what I saw). And hopefully focusing him on being maximially damaging with the ball inside 50 will pay off well for him. Also helps that Heeney was in the middle rather than forward; I often think they get in each other’s way a bit as two similarly sized, good in the air and on the ground, medium types.

Hayward's best game in a while. Sharing the defensive duties with Fox seemed to free him up quite a bit.
My understanding is that was their aim. He's been too gassed to kick accurately with the all running they were asking of him. They want to play him closer to goal.

2 small things I really enjoyed: McDonald despite getting beaten by May still managed to compete all night and finally get a goal which lead to a spectacular spray from May on Lever and seeing Jordon know all th words to the team song whilst Grundy didn't have a clue
Interesting that May sprayed Lever because it was his error blocking Dosser, who was already blocked, and leaving the gap for Logan.

With Fox acting as a spoiler in F50, bringing the ball down (didn't seem to matter how many defenders he was up against), and Hayward closer to goal, I would hope we consider the 2 KPF structure for any games where the oppo and conditions suit.

It comes with risks if one of them or Grundy goes down, especially McLean as backup ruck. Though we do have Blakey and Heeney as options (particularly when we get players back from injury).

But I wondered how well Wicks, Fox and Hayward could do if given a full game in that structure. Something to be said for Wicks as fresh legs, oppo fatigue sure, but you'd then have someone like Sheldrick to come on and provide some buzz.

F*** I hate May.
F*** I wish he was a Swan.

@FantasyFreako

A changing of the guard at Sydney. Jake Lloyd has moved to the wing and Matt Roberts looks set to play in defence. In true Lloyd fashion, Roberts played on from all 5 kick-ins. #SuperCoach #AFLFantasy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back