State of Origin proposal for raising money for bushfires appeal

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember the last bushfire emergency. Millions was raised. Most of which took years to distribute.
As it stands now there are tens of millions raised for people who have suffered loss.
Thats great, but a lot of those people will be covered by insurance.Its time to turn our focus to the animals and the environment.
The devastation that our wildlife has endured is at extinction level. And I’m not talking unknown animals, Koalas are in danger of extinction because they already have a disease and the only population that don’t have that disease are on Kangaroo Island. At a minimum 50% of those koalas have perished.
Time for your donations to be directed to the rescue organisations that are currently doing heartbreaking work in these bushfire areas.

I remember the last bushfire emergency. Millions was raised. Most of which took years to distribute.
As it stands now there are tens of millions raised for people who have suffered loss.
Thats great, but a lot of those people will be covered by insurance.Its time to turn our focus to the animals and the environment.
The devastation that our wildlife has endured is at extinction level. And I’m not talking unknown animals, Koalas are in danger of extinction because they already have a disease and the only population that don’t have that disease are on Kangaroo Island. At a minimum 50% of those koalas have perished.
Time for your donations to be directed to the rescue organisations that are currently doing heartbreaking work in these bushfire areas.

Here's the one I lean towards... https://www.wires.org.au/

i read an article yesterday that made some interesting points. It seems that Australian is unusual in that the majority of compensation that comes to people who have lost property in natural disasters, comes from insurance. It was either that article or another that also said that a large percentage of people underinsure their properties and about a quarter dont insure at all.

I must admit that I am a believer of helping people who are short of money, but I also believe in helping those who help themselves. If people have decided to take an annual trip overseas instead of insuring, I wouldnt feel too generous in their circumstances. Of course, I also believe that the kids shouldnt cop it for the sins of their parents so i'm at a bit of a loss in how the whole situation should be handled.

It's great that people are actually giving money to the fire authorities but I dont believe that emergency services should be funded through donations. That being said, I can understand why people want to give money to help the volunteers.

It seems totally ridiculous that we have a federal gov't that tries to save money by skimping in these areas, yet they have no qualms about forking out billions of dollars for a fighter jet that has trouble flying. I'm convinced that we're headed for a massive world disaster with billions dying, with a few million people surviving based on how much money they've got and how good they are at bribing those in charge.

At any rate, we need to save the koalas....

Here's the one I lean towards... https://www.wires.org.au/
Yes. That is the one I would recommend also.
But if people want targeted donation there are others. Here is just one.
I recommend people search for those wildlife organisations operating in the affected areas, or even in their own unaffected area. All donations will make a difference,

i was just about to give money to the red cross, and then I saw the bunnings site and they put a link on their front page....

So I thought to myself, if it's good enough for bunnings, then I'll forget the donation and just put a link on my facebook page...

job sorted...

i was just about to give money to the red cross, and then I saw the bunnings site and they put a link on their front page....

So I thought to myself, if it's good enough for bunnings, then I'll forget the donation and just put a link on my facebook page...

job sorted...
I’m struggling to Understand this.
So you didn’t donate anything? The Bunnings page links to the Red Cross, which was your intended recipient. But now you just want others to donate?
Am i right?

*edit*
Oh I get it now.
Bunnings are holding a sausage sizzle to raise money, from their customers.
Meanwhile....

I’m struggling to Understand this.
So you didn’t donate anything? The Bunnings page links to the Red Cross, which was your intended recipient. But now you just want others to donate?
Am i right?

*edit*
Oh I get it now.
Bunnings are holding a sausage sizzle to raise money, from their customers.
Meanwhile....

yeh i was going to give money but bunnings reminded me of a cheaper alternative.... putting a link in facebook. It should have dawned on me yesterday because I was reading about this "influencer'" who had clocked up half a million dollars - i think it was that amount - provided by other people..... and she was being praised big time.

Actually the sausage sizzle is a great idea too. When I get to work tomorrow, I'm going to email everyone and say that I'll buy a chicken strip sub down subway for $15 for them, and give $4 to the red cross appeal. If I can get a dozen people to buy in to the idea, I'll be able to donate $50 to the red cross..... and get a handy tax deduction too...

I would enjoy a t20 charity event, punter, McGrath, the Waugh boys, Warnie, Tubby, Dizzy, few celebs (not daisy) any AFL guys that think their handy with bat or ball.

It’s a thanks, but no thanks from me. With half my family from west Horsham I’m a staunch Victorian and I still have no interest in seeing Pendles, Treloar, Moore and JDG in the big V. The anxiety of watching them (Pendles aside) in our jumper is enough for me!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

really? Which companies were able to do that & how?
I thought this was well known, mainly through corporate structure and good accounting firms.
Tax dept onto organisations like Google, Apple, Amazon and News Limited.

Sounds like a great idea to me. Always loved the State games and seeing players up against the best (even if they were playing against clubmates)
Gavin Brown dominated several state games towards the end of the concept and the kudos he got from them was terrific. State games were a chance to see the REAL champions go around.

View attachment 803723

It’s confirmed. De GOEY, Grundy, Stephenson and Pendles are definite staters.
It's obvious the game is going ahead, but surely at this stage they haven't sat down and picked teams? Those players may well end up playing, but the game is many weeks away yet, and there should be nothing but "likely/possible starters".

I'm sure plenty here don't follow AFLW at all, but this match will clash directly with our Round 4 match against Melbourne at Victoria Park.

Current suggestion appears to be that our game moves to Marvel as a curtain raiser.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back