News The Return of State of Origin - For or Against?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
There's been a series at The Age about State of Origin football. I'd love to see it return, but understand that clubs and players might not be keen to have it midseason.

Anyone else like to see it?

Here's the latest article.

No.

It isn't good. It's bad.

Never again.

I have quaint memories of SoO, like hurrying home from school to watch Vic v SA, but it wasn't really that special at the time.

We have a strong club culture, which is where the passion for football lies. Anything else is a distraction.

To the extent that there is any demand, our national competition has it covered.

No.

It's a contrived concept. It's a crap concept.

No kid grows up wanting to kick the winning goal for WA, and if they do then it is a cry for help.

In a cluttered market, SoO dilutes the 'product', it doesn't strengthen it.

No.

Let us not mention it again.

I think it’s moot when it’s a national competition.

There was a point to parochialism when it was the VFL vs the WAFL vs the SANFL. Now that the VFL/AFL dominates to the extent it does, and it’s all club based, there’s no interest in SoO anymore.

Leave it to the NRL who are only based in two states.

No.

It isn't good. It's bad.

Never again.

I have quaint memories of SoO, like hurrying home from school to watch Vic v SA, but it wasn't really that special at the time.

We have a strong club culture, which is where the passion for football lies. Anything else is a distraction.

To the extent that there is any demand, our national competition has it covered.

No.

No kid grows up wanting to kick the winning goal for WA, and if they do then it is a cry for help.

No.

So we can put you down as a ‘maybe’?

But I agree with you. Would hate it if one of our players got injured in this meaningless game…

So we can put you down as a ‘maybe’?
emoji13.png

I'm reserving the right to change my mind.

No.

It isn't good. It's bad.

Never again.

No.

No.

I dunno - might be ok to give career losers like Cripps a chance to play in something close to a final.

was good in the 70s & 80s when we had state leagues. we got to see some great non VFL footballers.
would not like to see it back now with a national league, nothing to play for.
not many of the guns would want to risk injury for a nothing game.
How tight would your sphincter be watching the Daicos brothers, Moore, de Goey etc running around in a meaningless exhibition game?

Absolutely no - those days are gone. Was relevant back in the 50's, 60's 70's and 80's when we had only state leagues and it was more of a state versus state mentality. Much of the interest in those days was also for players to test themselves against the best league (VFL) in this days. It had some meaning.

Now its state versus state every weekend in some sense.

Makes no sense to bring it back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The concept of state of origin is somewhat redundant with a national competition.

I like the idea of all Australian vs all stars, however when do you play it, it can’t be mid season as the AA team isn’t selected yet. If you do it after the grand final it may no have much interest. Preseason and not all players may be available yet, and would clubs want to risk long term injuries on the eve of a season.

The best vs the best is a nice idea, but I don’t see it happening again.

The concept of state of origin is somewhat redundant with a national competition.

I like the idea of all Australian vs all stars, however when do you play it, it can’t be mid season as the AA team isn’t selected yet. If you do it after the grand final it may no have much interest. Preseason and not all players may be available yet, and would clubs want to risk long term injuries on the eve of a season.

The best vs the best is a nice idea, but I don’t see it happening again.

Could be played with the Week off before Finals or GF

nah, finals teams dominate the AA team, no way they want to risk players before finals or gf

So only way to do it as after the Season like they did for Games against Ireland

If each side only played the other once during the H&A season I could see an opening for it but the AFL don't seem to favour that approach.

Given the national competition we basically have SOA by proxy each round now for club supporters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back