Opinion Stop Blaming Umpires. Stop blaming the Rule Makers.... It's time to blame the Coaches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Why was the 3rd man up rule introduced?
Why was the 'stand' rule introduced?
Why was the 50m penalty rule first introduced?
Why is the 'protected zone' introduced?
Why was '6-6-6' introduced?

Why are we constantly talking about introducing new rules to stop congestion? To stop excessive stoppages?

Why are we constantly screaming at our TVs for umpires not paying throws? Why is 'Incorrect Disposal' so confusing?

Why do players drop their knees to draw high contact, and get rewarded for it??

Every one of the above, and many many more, are due to coaches exploiting rules and finding loopholes. Almost all of the issues with the game today are caused by coaches coaching to win, and not considering the broader game itself.

I have no issue with that. That's their job. Their job is to win. But there is no denying that they thumb their nose at the game itself when trying to find ways to win. Almost always, their tactics are not aligned with the greater good and are not in the spirit of the game.

Again, that's fine, It's their job. But it has to be called out. Changing rules to counter these tactics, introducing new rules to stop new tactics, blaming umpires, and all the other hair brain ideas that everyone has to 'fix' the adjudication mess we are dealing with, are futile. They will continue to be futile as long as coaches continue to put winning ahead of the game itself.

How can that be changed? No idea. I don't even think it can. But it needs to be publicly called out and accepted as the fact that it is, so the people in charge can start looking at ways to fix it without continuing to destroy the game even further. The AFL are simply playing catch up trying to constantly address the mess that coaches create.

The flood. 3rd man up. The rolling maul. Low scoring. The Selwood shrug. The Bulldogs throw. The Dylan Grimes knee drop to draw high contact. Using runners to clog up space. Time wasting by not giving the ball back. Excessive rotations to allow players to run all day. Exploiting the 'man on the mark' to prevent fast ball movement. Deliberately kicking the ball out of bounds. Deliberately rushing behinds. The list just goes on and on and on. These are/were all legal tactics, that have forced the AFL to react and introduce either new rules or adjust interpretations to counter them.

No matter what rule the AFL introduce, coaches will find ways to get around it. They will find ways to clog the game up. They will find ways to increase congestion and prevent 1 on 1's. They will find ways to ensure key forwards don't dominate games. They will find ways to ensure that scoring is low. It all starts with the coaches.

Damien Hardwick, on national TV has stated that he coaches Tom Lynch to crash into unprotected players standing under the ball. Lynch sent a player off the ground with 12 stitches and blood gushing from his head - and his coach publicly applauded that action. He literally stated that that is exactly what he wants Lynch to do. Ken Hinkley came out the following week and agreed, and said that's what he coaches Dixon to do also. And the thing is, it's legal. Lynch didn't even give away a free kick for the one I mentioned!

So again, another example of coaches coaching to win - and not being aligned with the greater good of the game and being completely unaligned with the direction that the AFL want the game to go. We don't want guys getting concussion. No one does. But here we have coaches saying 'f*** that, I'll do whatever it takes to win'. That is fine, but it needs to be called out that these guys are literally causing the problems we see in the game today - because when the AFL then start introducing reactive rules to protect players' heads, we all lose our s**t!

Don't want to pick on Hardwick, because he's just one of many that do it, but he is the most hypocritical bloke in football. He tweeted something about the non-call for the time wasting 50m last week.

Richmond have used a specific tactic over his tenure, that involves taking an opposition player to ground after a free kick is paid, to waste time. The art to it is, that they don't take down the player who was awarded the free kick - because that would be a 50m penalty. They take down a player close by, often very aggressively too. The umpire blows the whistle, talks to them, then starts play. The perfect crime. They've wasted time, held up the opposition from playing on allowing their defence to set up, without giving away a 50m penalty. It's a blatant exploitation of the rule. Cotchin is masterful at it.

So for Hardwick and the rest of us to pot the umpires for getting a call wrong in relation to time wasting, is just bullshit. It's coaches like him that are the very reason the rules get introduced in the first place, and it's the loopholes they exploit that make the rules so hard to adjudicate. Of course it's confusing!

Nathan Buckley giggled about a runner clogging up space late in a quarter the other night during a game, and said that that's a common tactic that he used. I mean f***, here we all are getting worked up about congestion and slow ball movement - and you literally have coaches using runners to cause congestion and slow the ball movement!!

So if anyone has an idea to prevent coaches from f***ing the game up, I'm all ears. But until we come up with something, we're just gong to go further and further down the path of shitness that we've been on for 20 years.

Last edited:

3rd man up rule was introduced because the AFL couldn't decide if a ruckman was being legitimately blocked, or if it was an opportunistic play by a midfielder (that happened barely once per game)

Stand rule was introduced because the umpires couldn't tell when a player had overstepped the mark

Protected zone was because idiot Collingwood and stkilda players were running in beside players

6-6-6 was introduced because the afl wanted everyone to play one way.

All the rules you mentioned backfired

The coaches make the umpires blow their whistle and award free kicks to forwards at rates not seen in decades so that scores improve?

The coaches decided that players raising their arms is sometimes a 50m penalty and sometimes it isnt?

The dissent one is not relevant to this discussion. That's not a reaction by the AFL to the quality of the product, that's a reaction to different issue.

But use the Five Whys for any other umpiring related issue, and I bet you end up with the coaches.

Why are umpires paying more free kicks to forwards (assuming that that's actually true)? Because the rules says you can't hold, chop arms, tunnel, block etc. But for the sake of this argument, let's say it's because the AFL have instructed the umpires to watch more closely for infringements against forwards.

Why have the AFL have instructed the umpires to watch more closely for infringements against forwards?
Because key forwards kicking goals used to be the one of the biggest factors as to why people loved AFL footy, but now they're virtually a non-factor in the game.

Why are they now virtually a non-factor in the game?
Because teams play 'team defence' that prevents fast ball movement, and prevents the key forwards getting 1 on 1's with defenders.

Why do teams play team defence that prevents fast ball movement, and prevents the key forwards getting 1 on 1's with defenders?
Because teams focus on defence first, and preventing teams from scoring and slowing down the game is the best way to win.

Why do teams focus on defence first, and preventing teams from scoring and slowing down the game?
Because they're coached to.

3rd man up rule was introduced because the AFL couldn't decide if a ruckman was being legitimately blocked, or if it was an opportunistic play by a midfielder (that happened barely once per game)

Stand rule was introduced because the umpires couldn't tell when a player had overstepped the mark

Protected zone was because idiot Collingwood and stkilda players were running in beside players

6-6-6 was introduced because the afl wanted everyone to play one way.

All the rules you mentioned backfired

I'm not saying the rules are good. I'm saying that the only reason they even get introduced at all, is because coaches find and exploit loopholes - which has been wrecking the game.

Congestion, low scoring, rolling mauls, flooding, flopping, throwing, concussions, rotations - all issues that the football public has been whining about for over a decade now. Whining so much that people stopped watching the game, which force the AFL to try to fix it.

And they're all issues caused by coaches. Nothing else.

Of course the AFL are a shitshow and have tried to address the symptoms (with very questionable success), instead of the cause.

Last edited:
The dissent one is not relevant to this discussion. That's not a reaction by the AFL to the quality of the product, that's a reaction to different issue.

But use the Five Whys for any other umpiring related issue, and I bet you end up with the coaches.

Why are umpires paying more free kicks to forwards (assuming that that's actually true)? Because the rules says you can't hold, chop arms, tunnel, block etc. But for the sake of this argument, let's say it's because the AFL have instructed the umpires to watch more closely for infringements against forwards.

Why have the AFL have instructed the umpires to watch more closely for infringements against forwards?
Because key forwards kicking goals used to be the one of the biggest factors as to why people loved AFL footy, but now they're virtually a non-factor in the game.

Why are they now virtually a non-factor in the game?
Because teams play 'team defence' that prevents fast ball movement, and prevents the key forwards getting 1 on 1's with defenders.

Why do teams play team defence that prevents fast ball movement, and prevents the key forwards getting 1 on 1's with defenders?
Because teams focus on defence first, and preventing teams from scoring and slowing down the game is the best way to win.

Why do teams focus on defence first, and preventing teams from scoring and slowing down the game?
Because they're coached to.

Im sure you could blame clubs for anything you wanted. But you could do the same thing for the AFL executive.

Why are umpires paying more frees?
- Because Gil wants more goals (but also, Clarko highlighted that more frees will create more space and move the ball better - so perhaps Clarko can share the blame with Gil)

Why are umpires focussing on free kicks for forwards?
- Because Gil wants more goals

Why are forwards a non factor? (I think this was your point.)
  • Because teams are playing as teams, not as individuals. Not sure you can blame coaches for that. We dont blame Polly Farmer for inventing aggressive use of handballs
  • And the AFL decided that they dont want that. Because the AFL wants more goals.

Why team defence?
- Because its a team sport. See above.

Why do teams focus on defence first?
  • Im not sure all do. Look at Hawthorn. They focus on fast ball movement up the spine first, second and third - whether it is working or not
  • We certainly arent seeing the killing of the ball at stoppages and floods anymore - and if we dumped 6-6-6 I still dont think we would see much flooding

Why was the 3rd man up rule introduced?
Why was the 'stand' rule introduced?
Why was the 50m penalty rule first introduced?
Why is the 'protected zone' introduced?
Why was '6-6-6' introduced?

Why are we constantly talking about introducing new rules to stop congestion? To stop excessive stoppages?

Why are we constantly screaming at our TVs for umpires not paying throws? Why is 'Incorrect Disposal' so confusing?

Why do players drop their knees to draw high contact, and get rewarded for it??

Every one of the above, and many many more, are due to coaches exploiting rules and finding loopholes. Almost all of the issues with the game today are caused by coaches coaching to win, and not considering the broader game itself.

I have no issue with that. That's their job. Their job is to win. But there is no denying that they thumb their nose at the game itself when trying to find ways to win. Almost always, their tactics are not aligned with the greater good and are not in the spirit of the game.

Again, that's fine, It's their job. But it has to be called out. Changing rules to counter these tactics, introducing new rules to stop new tactics, blaming umpires, and all the other hair brain ideas that everyone has to 'fix' the adjudication mess we are dealing with, are futile. They will continue to be futile as long as coaches continue to put winning ahead of the game itself.

How can that be changed? No idea. I don't even think it can. But it needs to be publicly called out and accepted as the fact that it is, so the people in charge can start looking at ways to fix it without continuing to destroy the game even further. The AFL are simply playing catch up trying to constantly address the mess that coaches create.

The flood. 3rd man up. The rolling maul. Low scoring. The Selwood shrug. The Bulldogs throw. The Dylan Grimes knee drop to draw high contact. Using runners to clog up space. Time wasting by not giving the ball back. Excessive rotations to allow players to run all day. Exploiting the 'man on the mark' to prevent fast ball movement. Deliberately kicking the ball out of bounds. Deliberately rushing behinds. The list just goes on and on and on. These are/were all legal tactics, that have forced the AFL to react and introduce either new rules or adjust interpretations to counter them.

No matter what rule the AFL introduce, coaches will find ways to get around it. They will find ways to clog the game up. They will find ways to increase congestion and prevent 1 on 1's. They will find ways to ensure key forwards don't dominate games. They will find ways to ensure that scoring is low. It all starts with the coaches.

Damien Hardwick, on national TV has stated that he coaches Tom Lynch to crash into unprotected players standing under the ball. Lynch sent a player off the ground with 12 stitches and blood gushing from his head - and his coach publicly applauded that action. He literally stated that that is exactly what he wants Lynch to do. Ken Hinkley came out the following week and agreed, and said that's what he coaches Dixon to do also. And the thing is, it's legal. Lynch didn't even give away a free kick for the one I mentioned!

So again, another example of coaches coaching to win - and not being aligned with the greater good of the game and being completely unaligned with the direction that the AFL want the game to go. We don't want guys getting concussion. No one does. But here we have coaches saying 'f*** that, I'll do whatever it takes to win'. That is fine, but it needs to be called out that these guys are literally causing the problems we see in the game today - because when the AFL then start introducing reactive rules to protect players' heads, we all lose our s**t!

Don't want to pick on Hardwick, because he's just one of many that do it, but he is the most hypocritical bloke in football. He tweeted something about the non-call for the time wasting 50m last week.

Richmond have used a specific tactic over his tenure, that involves taking an opposition player to ground after a free kick is paid, to waste time. The art to it is, that they don't take down the player who was awarded the free kick - because that would be a 50m penalty. They take down a player close by, often very aggressively too. The umpire blows the whistle, talks to them, then starts play. The perfect crime. They've wasted time, held up the opposition from playing on allowing their defence to set up, without giving away a 50m penalty. It's a blatant exploitation of the rule. Cotchin is masterful at it.

So for Hardwick and the rest of us to pot the umpires for getting a call wrong in relation to time wasting, is just bullshit. It's coaches like him that are the very reason the rules get introduced in the first place, and it's the loopholes they exploit that make the rules so hard to adjudicate. Of course it's confusing!

Nathan Buckley giggled about a runner clogging up space late in a quarter the other night during a game, and said that that's a common tactic that he used. I mean f***, here we all are getting worked up about congestion and slow ball movement - and you literally have coaches using runners to cause congestion and slow the ball movement!!

So if anyone has an idea to prevent coaches from f***ing the game up, I'm all ears. But until we come up with something, we're just gong to go further and further down the path of shitness that we've been on for 20 years.

Mate - couldn't agree more. Been saying it or years.

For example, we have a coaches association. The biggest blight on the game (in my opinion) which is flooding could be fixed in a 1hr meeting between the coaches to agree not to flood.

But the media and people on here let them off the hook repeatedly with the line 'a coach will do what he needs to do to win"

I agree, it is a problem. It's not all black and white, rulemakers, coaches, umpires all have a part to play in how the game evolves. I believe they need to simplify the rules more, it is too much on interpretation.

One thing you do mention is Tom Lynch running through a guy under the ball. It's a two-way street. We expect players to "be brave" and stand under a ball and not know what is coming. And yet we mock them if they shirk a contest. "Footsteps" often said in mockery. Personally, players need to be coached to be aware of their surroundings and do their part to not put themselves in a vulnerable position. I'd remove the eyes on the ball bullshit in the rule, they really should allow players to look at the man when contest the ball, to give both players a fair fight in that contest.

I coach basketball, and a recent game we saw the opposition coach applauding her players taking charges. She actively wanted her players to play physical and to stand in our way. I told my boys to go through them, if it's a charge, it's a charge, I don't care. The defender has the decision to make on whether they want to take that contact, and it would be ludicrous for me to tell my players to avoid them and lessen our game as a result. The other coach is gambling on those kids' physical wellbeing but she's coaching to the rules. And so am I. You put yourself in the vulnerable position, you wear the consequences. Same with standing under an incoming footy. It's not exclusively your ball, but you should be able to keep eyes on what's around you to decide if it's worth taking the contact or not.

All the other rules are secondary to the holding that’s the real enabler of congestion.

Pay 20 free kicks a game for holding and the game will open up.

Then attacking footy will thrive and teams will have to pick guys with enough skill to kick 16+ goals a week.

That's a good point.

Not everything coaches instruct players and teams to do is bad for the game. It's just that in modern footy, most of it is!

All the issues we moan are directly a result of coaching tactics.

No. We moan about the terrible way the AFL executive is trying to fix these perceived problems. They have been butchering the game and are still failing to get what they want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For example, we have a coaches association. The biggest blight on the game (in my opinion) which is flooding could be fixed in a 1hr meeting between the coaches to agree not to flood.
Haha what?

It seems like about 3 coaches who underperform to expectations each year get fired, you think all 18 will shake hands and decide to end the prominent and logical defensive tactic on the basis of goodwill? Sure sure

Mate - couldn't agree more. Been saying it or years.

But the media and people on here let them off the hook repeatedly with the line 'a coach will do what he needs to do to win"
That would last for exactly the time taken for the first goal to be kicked in the first game after they 'agreed not to flood'. Then, if the losing coach decided that flooding would help his defence, he would flood.

Coaches would tell their players to dance the Tennessee Two-step if they thought that would help them win the game. And the fans, and the club that employed them would want, and expect them to do it.

That would last for exactly the time taken for the first goal to be kicked in the first game after they 'agreed not to flood'. Then, if the losing coach decided that flooding would help his defence, he would flood.

Coaches would tell their players to dance the Tennessee Two-step if they thought that would help them win the game. And the fans, and the club that employed them would want, and expect them to do it.

Yep, and then cheer for it, and tell anyone who disagrees that they don't understood footy.

You can't introduce some kind of control to stop coaches doing what it takes to win, so if anything the OP is a waste of time in reality. Yes the coaches have a responsibility to the game, but there is never going to be a coach who won't try anything to win, nor should there be. It's simply not controllable in the way the OP desires.
The answer lies simply in mathematics and probability. It's really a very simple concept; The more grey areas/rules that exist PERIOD, in the game, the more opportunities there are to try and get around it. At it's extreme; if there was just one rule in existence, there is only one rule to try and get around. If there are thousands of rules, there are thousands of rules to try and get around.
Every single time a new rule is introduced, there is a new opportunity and on and on it goes.

1940s – Three rule changes; most significant being the use of two reserves, the 19th and 20th man, from 1946.

1950s – Four rule changes; introduction of runner carrying coach’s message from 1955.

1960s – Six rule changes; flick pass banned in 1966.

1970s – Five rule changes; centre diamond in 1973, centre square from 1975 and interchange from 1978.

1980s – Six rule changes; 50-metre penalty introduced in 1988.

1990s – 14 rule changes; “Prior opportunity” written into holding-the-ball rule in 1996.

2000s – 23 rule changes; minimum length of kick that qualifies for a mark increased from 10 to 15 metres in 2002.

2010s – 23 rule changes; 6-6-6 formations at centre bounce introduced in 2019 when kick-in rule also was changed.

I've seen plenty of coaches over the years warn the league themselves against continual rule changes and additions that would introduce ever more grey areas/interpretations and have unforeseen ramifications. That hasn't stopped the league and rules committee ignoring them.

The real answers lie in less rules, period. As Dennis Pagan once said; "I've always said those people on the rules committee, I'd give them a holiday for two years all expenses paid and leave the game as it is."

IMHO the single biggest mistake regarding rule changes in the long list was the introduction of "prior opportunity" in 1996. It introduced an impossible grey area and changed the very fabric of the game regarding the single biggest and most argued rule in the game; holding the ball.
Ironically it was introduced by short sighted imbeciles who actually wanted more congestion. They were bemoaning the speed the game had got to and everyone tapping the ball out of packs rather than grabbing it. The thought process was that people would eventually stop grabbing the ball altogether.
No bigger crock of s**t has ever been theorised.
They completely failed to understand the impossible grey area and interpretation being introduced that can now never go away until the rule is straight out erased. They completely failed to recognise there is also the element of illegal tackles (high etc) that give players the incentive to grab the ball. They completely failed to recognise that having the footy in your control increases the overall likely-hood of you controlling the outcome, ensuring there will always be an incentive to grab it. The game would have worked itself out to simply the ball being grabbed sometimes and being tapped out at other times. Exactly as is natural and no prior opportunity grey area introduction period.

The truth is; prior opportunity has just been a disaster regarding the grey area introduced every single time a player grabs a ball, almost every minute of the game. All the flow ons of pretending to be trying to punch the ball, whilst actually holding onto it in reality and going to ground knowing it'll be judged no prior, ball-up, stem from this short-sighted *-up. The whole concept of "holding the ball" and not getting rid of it legally almost vanished, with players and coaches adapting to the prior opportunity rule and forming a stoppage. Congestion and stoppages guaranteed.
The continual need to try and adjust it's interpretation every year, the total amount of stoppage number increase and the numerous rule changes following to try and reduce stoppages and their congestion, all stem from this monumental error. They've effectively finally realised the error by trying to further reduce the interpretive time of "prior opportunity" but the answer is to piss it off altogether and remove all the ramifications of the screw up. Remove the whole grey area and get back to holding the ball, dropping the ball (illegal disposure) and too high, the game would have evolved on it's own without introducing an impossible grey area and all it's ramifications. Once again as Pagan said: "I've always said those people on the rules committee, I'd give them a holiday for two years all expenses paid and leave the game as it is."
You can argue about bench numbers etc increasing rotations and the ability to flood and zone but in reality, the ever growing professionalism and fitness was always going to increase this ability. The bench rule in and of itself is not responsible for introducing ever more stoppages and congestion, though once again it obviously doesn't help with flooding and is a further example of unforeseen ramifications for yet another rule addition/change.
The one single monumental screw up rule change, that caused so many follow on attempts to fix the issues it created, including attempts at congestion relief rules people aren't even aware are linked to this, is the "prior opportunity" rule. Wake up and piss it off altogether.

Last edited:
Ok how does the dissent rule fit into this then? Not the coaches fault it’s a stupid rule.

What about the stand rule? Fine in principle, the punishment is ridiculous. An easy fix is to make it a 25m penalty and the man on the mark is allowed to take 1 step sideways or backwards. This stops accidents happening or people faking a hand pass to get a 50. It’s players instinct to move as soon as a player with the ball tries to pass it. Nobody accidentally takes 2 steps so a 25m seems like a fair punishment to me for that.

In the back pisses me off. Imo it should be an actual push in the back ie. arms extended outwards not in a tackle. Sometimes there is no other way a player can tackle that person, I don’t think it’s even that dangerous tbh with proper tackles. If the tackle in the back is too hard it can just be considered a dangerous tackle like anything else and be a free.

Naming the people in the ruck is also stupid imo. Just throw it up don’t ask anything, if 2 players from 1 team go up it’s a free.

Not sure how to fix this one but calling holding the man because the player with the ball fumbles it should not be a free. Just make it incorrect disposal or something. How the hell is bad ball skills rewarded I have no idea. Is the player who is tackling meant to stop the tackle in mid air or something, most of the time he can’t see the ball anyway it’s stupid.

All of the above rules can be fixed and make the game much better. They don’t have anything to do with coaches. Too many rules in the game are umpires discretion which makes everybody annoyed because it can be unfair and inconsistent during the game. The Sydney game against us with the 50m after the siren is a good example.

Ok how does the dissent rule fit into this then? Not the coaches fault it’s a stupid rule.

What about the stand rule? Fine in principle, the punishment is ridiculous. An easy fix is to make it a 25m penalty and the man on the mark is allowed to take 1 step sideways or backwards. This stops accidents happening or people faking a hand pass to get a 50. It’s players instinct to move as soon as a player with the ball tries to pass it. Nobody accidentally takes 2 steps so a 25m seems like a fair punishment to me for that.

In the back pisses me off. Imo it should be an actual push in the back ie. arms extended outwards not in a tackle. Sometimes there is no other way a player can tackle that person, I don’t think it’s even that dangerous tbh with proper tackles. If the tackle in the back is too hard it can just be considered a dangerous tackle like anything else and be a free.

Naming the people in the ruck is also stupid imo. Just throw it up don’t ask anything, if 2 players from 1 team go up it’s a free.

Not sure how to fix this one but calling holding the man because the player with the ball fumbles it should not be a free. Just make it incorrect disposal or something. How the hell is bad ball skills rewarded I have no idea. Is the player who is tackling meant to stop the tackle in mid air or something, most of the time he can’t see the ball anyway it’s stupid.

All of the above rules can be fixed and make the game much better. They don’t have anything to do with coaches. Too many rules in the game are umpires discretion which makes everybody annoyed because it can be unfair and inconsistent during the game. The Sydney game against us with the 50m after the siren is a good example.
This is part of the problem. In this reply you note various rule frustrations, including the new "dissent rule" and then suggest further rule changes to address the issue. It's like a never ending self fulfilling human labyrinth of thought.
Want to know what reduces player frustration, confusion and resulting dissent? LESS GREY /INTERPRETIVE RULES. Every new grey rule introduces yet another opportunity to get frustrated, be unsure and respond accordingly with so much on the line nowadays. It's not just being unsure of a umpires interpretation regarding a push in the back or holding the ball anymore. The list of grey areas is so vast now, there is a literal plethora of confusing/unsure/interpretation decisions made every bloody second.
Geeze it has got so ridiculous now there would not be a single quarter of footy go by where every single individual involved at all levels doesn't actually think; I don't even know what that free was about! What is that rule? I've spoken to plenty of kids, parents, coaches and umpires recently on this and they are exasperated. It's simply becoming too difficult for some. There are kids who find processing all the mental side and vast amount of new and ever changing rules simply too much. I've spoken to parents and kids who've just said we are going to change sports, it's just too much to process and not fun.

Last edited:
So in short all teams should stick to the same game plan and strategy and not using coaching as a way to find a competitive advantage.

Where do we all sign up to this super exciting sounding league?

Well it's already here brother.....well was....

AFLX-415x285.jpg

This is part of the problem. In this reply you go on about various rule frustrations, including the new "dissent rule" and then suggest further rule changes to address the issue. It's like a never ending self fulfilling human labyrinth of thought.
Want to know what reduces player frustration, confusion and resulting dissent? LESS GREY /INTERPRETIVE RULES. Every new grey rule,introduces yet another opportunity to get frustrated, be unsure and respond with so much on the line nowadays. It's not just being unsure of a umpires interpretation regarding a push in the back or holding the ball. The list of grey areas is so vast now, there is a literal plethora of confusing/unsure/interpretation decisions made every bloody second.
Geeze it has got so ridiculous now there would not be a single quarter of footy go by where every single individual involved at all levels doesn't actually think; I don't even know what that free was about! I've spoken to plenty of kids, parents, coaches and umpires recently on this and they are exasperated. It's simply becoming too difficult for some. There are kids who find processing all the mental side and vast amount of new and ever changing rules simply too much. I've spoken to parents and kids who've just said we are going to change sports, it's just too much to process and not fun.

I’m not introducing new rules. I’m fixing the s**t ones, like cmon surely my comments on the dissent and stand rule are not making new rules. It’s just reducing the punishments.

Getting rid of nominating rucks is reducing a rule that was implemented.

In the back I was revising to make it less complicated to adjudicate. It’s easier to see when are players arm is out and fans don’t get confused about tackles that look ok but are apparently a push in the back. I’m 100% sure everybody has experienced this.

I also said to get rid of rules that are umpires discretion so I’m not sure what exactly you disagree with?

The AFL are to blame because they are trying to curate the game on a time scale faster than the natural evolution of coaching tactics.

Coaching is an evolution, when a tactic is too successful it gets countered. If the AFL stopped trying to manipulate it, then it wouldn't be so bad.

Or alternatively, make rule changes that actually have a chance of working - like removing 4 players from the field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back