Strongest Player in the AFL - Pound for Pound

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you’ve misunderstood my post as I was essentially saying the same thing.
Your brother is stronger specific to the requirements of bench press, you’re stronger specific to the requirements of tackling.
I think where there is argument are 2 separate topics merged into 1:
1. Who has the most strength in the gym, pound for pound? This is where bench presses and deadlifts are discussed.
2. Who has the most strength on the footy field, pound for pound? This is where you need to discuss many other factors such as core strength, speed of impact, weight etc.

From a pure footy perspective, here are some of the strongest pound for pound that comes to my mind:
- Gary Ablett
- Gary Ablett Jr
- Dusty Martin
- Nat Fyfe
- Byron Pickett
These are the types that have great tackling and hip-and-shoulder impacts, and very rarely do you see them get tackled. Doubt if any of the above can lift 150kg or more.

I think where there is argument are 2 separate topics merged into 1:
1. Who has the most strength in the gym, pound for pound? This is where bench presses and deadlifts are discussed.
2. Who has the most strength on the footy field, pound for pound? This is where you need to discuss many other factors such as core strength, speed of impact, weight etc.

From a pure footy perspective, here are some of the strongest pound for pound that comes to my mind:
- Gary Ablett
- Gary Ablett Jr
- Dusty Martin
- Nat Fyfe
- Byron Pickett
These are the types that have great tackling and hip-and-shoulder impacts, and very rarely do you see them get tackled. Doubt if any of the above can lift 150kg or more.
And this is a feature of Viney, who is regularly a wrecking ball on the field. One of my favourite Viney tackles is below.

Look at the way Viney bounces back to his feet after this clash against Adelaide. Up in a flash.

If Ablett's shoulder had healed it was wrecked again in round 1, 2015.

d0eeed02decfd4d7df71ccb587102b43

495416bfae5254ad062ec6c3795de701

And I love How Rance stood up and tried to throw Viney to the ground in the next one. Couldn't.

And this is a feature of Viney, who is regularly a wrecking ball on the field. One of my favourite Viney tackles is below.

Look at the way Viney bounces back to his feet after this clash against Adelaide. Up in a flash.

And I love How Rance stood up and tried to throw Viney to the ground in the next one. Couldn't.

Ok, you can add Viney to the list of 5 players I've mentioned. :)
What you highlighted is the onfield strength of Viney. Sure, there is a direct correlation to how much he can lift in the gym, but some guys at the gym might lift more than him who won't be able to tackle or hurt their opponents as much.

For as good as Rance is, this is the act of a coward. And a bigger coward for going to ground with a love tap from Viney. Rance has a habit of this and that act was despicable. Viney should've belted him senseless.

For as good as All-Australian captain and premiership player Rance is, this is the act of a coward. And a bigger coward for going to ground with a love tap from Viney. Rance has a habit of this and that act was despicable. Viney should've belted him senseless.

EFA.

Rance has a habit of punching blokes in the back of the head because he’s the goat defender. probably thought jack watts was a sherrin
Nah, Watts was on the ground when Rance hit him. Rance is a dog and a coward after doing that. You do that to someone in the street and you're in jail.

How much do you want him just to do it again? To Ablett.

Nah, Watts was on the ground when Rance hit him. Rance is a premiership winning dog and an All-Australian captain coward after doing that. You do that to someone in the street and you're in jail.

EFA.

What that video really shows is the frustration Rance feels when he loses. Thankfully he used that to become a better player this year and helped drive his team to a premiership. Meanwhile, Melbourne...well, ... Melbourne send out brochures to their members telling them about finals but prove to be softer than butter when it is all on the line. Some advice for Melbourne... be more like Rance!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

EFA.

What that video really shows is the frustration Rance feels when he loses. Thankfully he used that to become a better player this year and helped drive his team to a premiership. Meanwhile, Melbourne...well, ... Melbourne send out brochures to their members telling them about finals but prove to be softer than butter when it is all on the line. Some advice for Melbourne... be more like Rance!
Nah, what it really shows is him punching a guy in the back of the head. Coward.

For as good as Rance is, this is the act of a coward. And a bigger coward for going to ground with a love tap from Viney. Rance has a habit of this and that act was despicable. Viney should've belted him senseless.
I highly doubt Viney would be able to belt anyone senseless I mean he got beaten up by Cotchin earlier this year and hid on the bench afterwards

EFA

Very much in the Tom Bugg mould, but so much better.
At least Bugg doesn't hit people in the back of the head, so no, different mould. I am not disputing him as a player, stop falling back on the obvious, but he is a coward regardless of how good a footballer he is. You just can't admit it. Imagine if someone did that to Rance?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back