Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
A couple of days ago Jack Viney, who stands at 178cm/86kg, bench pressed 155 kilos. It got me wondering whether he's the strongest player in the AFL from a power to weight ratio.

Fraser Gehrig holds the record at the Saints with a press of 172.5kg, while it was reported a couple of years ago that Stefan Martin was king at Brisbane with a bench press of 150kg.

I'd embed the video here if I had more technical expertise, but below is the link of Viney's press. It's the second video down. Note: this shows a 150kg bench press, but he exceeded that not long after with 155.

https://20four.com.au/athletes/jack-viney/104

Of course, bench pressing isn't the only measure of someone's strength, but it's one of the most recognisable ways of evaluating power.

Last edited:
A couple of days ago Jack Viney, who stands at 178cm/86kg, bench pressed 155 kilos. It got me wondering whether he's the strongest player in the AFL from a power to weight ratio.

Fraser Gehrig holds the record at the Saints with a press of 172.5kg, while it was reported a couple of years ago that Stefan Martin was king at Brisbane with a bench press of !50kg.

I'd embed the video here if I had more technical expertise, but below is the link of Viney's press. It's the second video down. Note: this shows a 150kg bench press, but he exceeded that not long after with 155.

https://20four.com.au/athletes/jack-viney/104

Of course, bench pressing isn't the only measure of someone's strength, but it's one of the most recognisable ways of evaluating power.

F me

I would have thought 125-135kgs would be about what someone with those stats could lift. That's impressive!

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Ignoring the bench press type stats and just thinking of who uses their strength effectively on field.

Small guys: Tippa
Med height (slight build): Rioli, Ablett
Med height (stronger build): Martin/Fyfe/Dangerfield
Taller guys: Franklin/Hawkins/McGovern/Rance
Rucks: Gawn/Sandilands

I'm sure there's plenty of others but these were the ones that first came to mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back