Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs

Yeah.
Most guys who are in the iron game for long enough peak from 35-45.
Donnie Thompson, the first man to total 3000lb did so at 46. Chuck Vogelpohl hit his biggest ever squat (1175lb) at 45, Louie Simmons hit PRs into his 50s and Ed Coan was in his late 30s when he hit his Best lifts.
There’s a few more guys in their mid/late 20s now breaking records but most have been training a decade already. Will be interesting to see if they hang around as I’ve seen plenty of “burned the brightest and shortest” guys come and go since I’ve been involved in powerlifting.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah.
Donnie Thompson, the first man to total 3000lb did so at 46. Chuck Vogelpohl hit his biggest ever squat (1175lb) at 45, Louie Simmons hit PRs into his 50s and Ed Coan was in his late 30s when he hit his Best lifts.
There’s a few more guys in their mid/late 20s now breaking records but most have been training a decade already. Will be interesting to see if they hang around as I’ve seen plenty of “burned the brightest and shortest” guys come and go since I’ve been involved in powerlifting.
That's awesome, you know heaps about it. Good work. Maybe I'll hit you up for some training tips :)

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Yeah.

Historical Romans believed a man was at his peak strength in late 30s. They may have less testosterone than a younger man but they still have all the muscle they built while they were younger.

wcesam

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Breaking and making tackles and outbodying players is all about balance, doesn't matter how strong you are if you cant get that strength to the ground.

Its why that scene where Captian America holds the chopper down by pure strength is such BS. No matter how strong he is unless he weighs a couple of tonnes he would just lift off.

did you just assume the weight of his shoes ??

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Breaking and making tackles and outbodying players is all about balance, doesn't matter how strong you are if you cant get that strength to the ground.

Its why that scene where Captian America holds the chopper down by pure strength is such BS. No matter how strong he is unless he weighs a couple of tonnes he would just lift off.

Only this scene is pure BS?

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not sure if they have been mentioned but Sam Kerridge is apparently a beast in the gym. Benched about 125kg (IIRC) in his 2nd year at the crows.

Richie Douglas can hold his own too.

And then there is Scott Thompson...only does arm curls though

If my knowledge of history is correct, Captain Vietnam would beat Captain America anyway.

Pound for pound - Jack Viney's vid where he benches 150kgs at ~83kgs is a massive feat of relative strength.
Especially when you consider most AFL athletes are good/elite runners so strength isn't the sole focus.

Coniglio from GWS is up there too from all reports.

That's awesome, you know heaps about it. Good work. Maybe I'll hit you up for some training tips :)
Do it - Aeglos' contributions on the H&F board are gold. Definitely knows his stuff.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
A couple of days ago Jack Viney, who stands at 178cm/86kg, bench pressed 155 kilos. It got me wondering whether he's the strongest player in the AFL from a power to weight ratio.

Fraser Gehrig holds the record at the Saints with a press of 172.5kg, while it was reported a couple of years ago that Stefan Martin was king at Brisbane with a bench press of 150kg.

I'd embed the video here if I had more technical expertise, but below is the link of Viney's press. It's the second video down. Note: this shows a 150kg bench press, but he exceeded that not long after with 155.

https://20four.com.au/athletes/jack-viney/104

Of course, bench pressing isn't the only measure of someone's strength, but it's one of the most recognisable ways of evaluating power.
Jack Viney? Sydney Stack for one, is stronger pound for pound, add to that Dustin Martin and 20 other blokes mate!

Back