Strongest Player in the AFL - Pound for Pound

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Tom Hawkins always seems to out-maneuver players 100kg or more in weight. It's a tragedy he never had a bit of mongrel in his make-up because if he did, he would have busted open packs and demanded considerable amount of awareness from opposing players.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Any one for NN?, don't know his bench press or squat or whatever figures but seems to have most rucks covered in the game for strength battles at ruck contests even the mummy.

Bloke is 110 kegs if I am correct.

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Chris Masten is clearly the leagues strongest player.

He was so strong, the clubs insurance company wouldn't let him play on a direct opponent due to his capacity to injure them, so he was forced to mark space for his career.

Legend has it that once during a time trial, his legs produced so much power, he emulated the flash and actually travelled back through time, whereby he fathered himself upon Mrs Masten and will eventually end up leading the resistance against skynet

He's a strong man that Chris

Pound for pound Georgie Castagna is our strongest

Reckon if you are talking Pound for Pound Gym strength then you have to look at the short people not the KPP's

Pushup King used to dominate Richo in wrestling. Cant underestimate midget power

Nov 12, 2006
Subiaco, Perth WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco FC
As others have said, I don't know if bench is much of a measure for an AFL player (and I competed in powerlifting back in the day!). I can't think of many occasions where a player is horizonatal and needs to lift a perfectly balanced 7ft object to extension.

Maybe something like a cumulative score across:

- timed repeat 20m weighted sled pulls
- repeat 200m sprint efforts
- repeat burpies

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As others have said, I don't know if bench is much of a measure for an AFL player (and I competed in powerlifting back in the day!). I can't think of many occasions where a player is horizonatal and needs to lift a perfectly balanced 7ft object to extension.

Bottom of a pack with Aaron Sandilands on top of you but he's out cold and can't move? Also he has rigor mortis

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Tom Hawkins always seems to out-maneuver players 100kg or more in weight. It's a tragedy he never had a bit of mongrel in his make-up because if he did, he would have busted open packs and demanded considerable amount of awareness from opposing players.

Instead he just cheapshots everyone with little dirty sneaky coward punches and elbows. Too scared to crash a pack but he has enough mongrel for that

Dipper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2000
London,England
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Allies FCC
Brian Lake used to physically dominate him every time.

On moto g(7) using BigFooty.com mobile app

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Brian Lake used to physically dominate him every time.

He did.
In fact, I believe Hawthorn relized early on that if they were to get past Geelong, they needed a legitimate gorilla down back to contend with Podsiadly and Hawkins.

Every time as in Hawkins kicked 14 goals in 8 games whilst Lake was at your club?

2013, Hawkins played on Lake three times and was good for 11 touches, 5 marks and 1 goal (Preliminary final included).

2014, Played on Lake three times, twice during the regular season where he averaged 13 touches, 8 marks and 4 goals from those two particular matches. Enter the most important game of the year . . . Qualifying Final, he gave us 7 touches, 2 marks and 1 goal.

2015, Played on Lake Twice. Averaged 7 touches, 2 marks and 2 goals.

Going by the games I had to witness against Hawthorn, and the statistics alone, Brian Lake completely and utterly dominated Hawkins while at Hawthorn.

Back