Big Cricket Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can we expect the decision of Steve Smith not being allowed to play last night to be overturned for the final tomorrow? 🙃

I'd be pretty happy if he displaced Kerr!

Carey and Head cost their side the match last night coming back in from international duties and Smith is barely going with the bat anyway.

Can we expect the decision of Steve Smith not being allowed to play last night to be overturned for the final tomorrow? 🙃
CA have said he'd need to go into the pool pf injury/covid replacement players, whereby any team could pick him... there's only 2 left and the Scorchers only injury worry is Bison.

Dunno if CA is allowing additions to that pool, but we're now in a situation where only one team is really considering picking from it.

Windies banged out 224 against the Poms in the third T20I of the tour. Powell with a casual 107 off 53.

Of the former Scorchers, Mills went for 52 for 1 off his four overs, Livingstone bowled 3 for 42 runs and a wicket then scored 11 of 9 in the chase, and Jason Roy scored 19 of 16 at the top.

Taking the Scorchers hat off for a second, it does seem quite ridiculous that Smith can't play for the Sixers tbh

Rules are rules

They were happy to dock a point from the Scorchers for using a player that wasn't in the pool and now want to make an exception for Smith

He's not part of their roster.

I think that's the important part. Smith is not on their list at all. Yes he has been previously, and even captained, but to assume he is unavailable and not put him on the list anyway is just poor management. Now they're crippled with injuries and want to bend the rules to get him in.

As a neutral we want the best players playing, but imagine if he comes in, makes a ton, drags them to victory. Talk about an asterisk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only because he wasn't going to be available all tournament until the NZ games were cancelled. He obviously would've been if they'd known he'd be available.
Should the Scorchers be able to pick Cam Green now?

If Smith comes in for them, then Green should be available for us.

Sixers are up against it anyway. They've lost to Scorchers three times already and are looking like fielding their worst side against our best.

I think that's the important part. Smith is not on their list at all. Yes he has been previously, and even captained, but to assume he is unavailable and not put him on the list anyway is just poor management. Now they're crippled with injuries and want to bend the rules to get him in.

As a neutral we want the best players playing, but imagine if he comes in, makes a ton, drags them to victory. Talk about an asterisk.
It's not really poor management TBF.
Smith plays in the test and ODI's.
Couldn't really foresee the series being cancelled.

Having said that, he wasn't contracted so he won't be playing.

Only because he wasn't going to be available all tournament until the NZ games were cancelled. He obviously would've been if they'd known he'd be available.
That's just too bad though.
You can't blame them for not contracting him as he normally wouldn't be available.

Having said that, they could've had him on the list instead of a rookie.

If Smith comes in for them, then Green should be available for us.

Sixers are up against it anyway. They've lost to Scorchers three times already and are looking like fielding their worst side against our best.
I doubt Green wants to play and that CA would want him to either.
If he wanted to play, they would've contracted him as Green isn't in the white ball set up.

I doubt Green wants to play and that CA would want him to either.
If he wanted to play, they would've contracted him as Green isn't in the white ball set up.
I just saw an article saying Green has managed to get back to WA before Feb 5th using some exemption for uni students. He is currently doing 14 day quarantine, so zero chance he would be jumping on a plane back to Melbourne for BBL.

But the league rules allow for this with local replacement players (eg. Hobson and Sabburg) available to replace squad members who are injured or on national duty.

Star ring-ins for finals would completely undermine the legitimacy of the competition.

Either it's a serious league of defined squads or it's a glorified bunch of exhibition matches and the results are meaningless but oooh look shiny big names playing.
The rules were changed though once teams were wiped out with COVID. Players that were outside defined squads were brought into BBL teams to cover players that were sick with COVID. Sixers did it the other night with Lenton replacing Phillippe.

So what CA are saying is bringing in players from outside the defined squad are okay, as long as they are grade cricket spuds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back