Autopsy Swallows concussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Dugdale2Dwyer

Premiership Player
May 31, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How long before an ambulance chaser sues Etihad Stadium for the hard surface, seemed an innocuos head bump, see this sort of thing every day in country/suburban footy but Etihad is hard as concrete, can only hope it happens sooner rather than later.
BTW it was a fair tackle by the Cats plalyer.

How long before an ambulance chaser sues Etihad Stadium for the hard surface, seemed an innocuos head bump, see this sort of thing every day in country/suburban footy but Etihad is hard as concrete, can only hope it happens sooner rather than later.
BTW it was a fair tackle by the Cats plalyer.

I'd assume that he's copped a few over his career due to the way he plays. Maybe he's just susceptible to them more now. As you say, didn't look like it was too hard.

Christensen when he was at Geelong, seemed to get concussed just from looking the wrong way at times.

I'd assume that he's copped a few over his career due to the way he plays. Maybe he's just susceptible to them more now. As you say, didn't look like it was too hard.

Christensen when he was at Geelong, seemed to get concussed just from looking the wrong way at times.
One famous one was when Karmichael Hunt hit him in the head with the full force of his hip and didn't even give away a free.

Definitely not anything MRP in that. Just bad luck.. Was bad concussion doubt he gets up for Hawks

Huh? You know grass isn't a pillow yeah?

Did you read the OP?

FWIW I think it probably has more to do with what Herne Hill Hammer was referring to, but the surface seems to be shite again. (Not Stadium Oz bad)

Difficult one because Swallow is in a horizontal position it's a very atypical tackle but there's some form of lift and swing that are elements of the sling tackles they want banned. McCarty has flipped him over and put him on his back. I suspect the MRP will take a strong look at it, as they should. Not saying he should be suspended, but it's worth clarifying.

As for the Etihad issue. Well, it is what it is. The place is rock hard. You can tell by the way the ball bounces up it's a firm ground. The AFLPA and AFL must sign off on it every week, and the AFL are going to own the joint soon. So I'm not sure what will happen. Indoor stadiums and nice natural soft grass surfaces aren't a good mix. Artificial turf isn't going to solve the problem. You could see what happened to Menzel running on to the artificial turf around the boundary and rolling his ankle.

Huh? You know grass isn't a pillow yeah?
The Etihad surface is notoriously hard. Countless players have said they take longer to recover from games there than elsewhere.

Once the AFL owns the place they could not be greedy and:
- Have all Geelong games at Geelong or the MCG for 1 or 2 blockbusters only
- The 3 North games in Hobart. Meaning only 8 at Etihad
- Whatever amount of Dogs games in Ballarat again reducing Etihad games
- Essendon and Carlton continue with whatever amount of games they are signed for
- 2 Saints games in NZ
- No Melbourne, Rich, Hawthorn or Collingwood home games at Etihad.

Dropping back from 45 or whatever it is to under 40 home games at Etihad would increase the chances of maintaining an even surface. Further to that the AFL could minimise non AFL games at the ground in Winter and make sure things like concerts don't damage the surface out of footy season. But they'll be keen to make a buck so I doubt that will happen much.

I doubt there's anything that can be done about the grass being on top of a concrete floor, but maybe the whole oval needs resurfacing. They've done it twice at the G in the last decade.

Did you read the OP?
I did.

I particularly enjoyed the part where he claimed players heads are slammed into the turf regularly in country games and they get up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think Etihad is that bad. Swallow is a hard player, and gets driven head first into the turf plenty of times each game. This one just happened to get him in the sweet spot.

I did.

I particularly enjoyed the part where he claimed players heads are slammed into the turf regularly in country games and they get up.

I'm sure you are clever enough to see through over some exaggeration and get the main sentiment of the post?

That should make it serious enough to warrant a complaint and an investigation. Being a professional sport employing full time players, does the A.F.L have Worksafe out to inspect each and every ground?

What's the process here?

Michael Close did his ACL on that astroturf strip too.

Menzel after 4 knee recos has now likely injured the ligaments in his ankle because the Etihad boundary surface is made up of astro-turf. Pathetic that AFL level games are still played at this ground. Worst part is this was a Geelong home game and should have been played at Kardinia Park, known for having the best playing surface. What a monumental **** up by the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back