Roast Port Adelaide's failure to do a HIA assessment on Aliir - [AFL confirms both players FAILED concussion tests on Monday]

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks, I'm learning a lot here.

The previous week, I saw a player struck on the jaw, fell down without any attempt to break their fall, arms out in front in the concussion pose with a leg frozen in the air, no movement for a couple of seconds not even to feel their jaw, then got back up after a short while and continued playing. No questions asked by anyone, everyone saw it.

Didn't look like much at the time, certainly far less severe than the Aliir Jones clash, and I thought he may have been stunned but not concussed. It was a very close game, but I doubt this team would have compromised a players safety to keep him on the field.

If I see that again, what should I think?
That was a love tap and he was playing for the free kick. His arms didn't lock up, the force wasn't hard enough and he wasn't lying motionless for >2 seconds. Under the protocols the vision should still be looked at by the doctor and assessed to see if they need to come off and the SCAT5. This is far different to a massive incident that stopped the game for two minutes right in front of the bench / medical staff.

That was a love tap and he was playing for the free kick. His arms didn't lock up, the force wasn't hard enough and he wasn't lying motionless for >2 seconds. Under the protocols the vision should still be looked at by the doctor and assessed to see if they need to come off and the SCAT5. This is far different to a massive incident that stopped the game for two minutes right in front of the bench / medical staff.
Yeah I agree that they are completely different and Port Adelaide stuffed up.
And I agree that watching it originally, that he looked more stunned than concussed.

But the issue of protecting the player is about the outcome and response, not the force of impact.
Clearly no need for an HIA in this case. However given the player in question has a self-reported history of concussions, I would now, retrospectively in hindsight with greater understanding, question that decision to leave him on the ground.

If the AFL didn't do a thing, do you think the 2 players play this week?
You know Port Adelaide have had players come off under concussion protocols don't you?
It's not like we've been ignoring the issue, it was only two rounds prior against Carlton that Byrne Jones was off for the fortnight. which is partly why I believe Port fell on the lighter side of potential penalties, as a mistake rather than a procedural fault.

You know Port Adelaide have had players come off under concussion protocols don't you?
It's not like we've been ignoring the issue, it was only two rounds prior against Carlton that Byrne Jones was off for the fortnight. which is partly why I believe Port fell on the lighter side of potential penalties, as a mistake rather than a procedural fault.
Yeah you're right Port didn't do anything wrong, the doc made a mistake by saying he made a mistake.

Thanks, I'm learning a lot here.

The previous week, I saw a player struck on the jaw, fell down without any attempt to break their fall, arms out in front in the concussion pose with a leg frozen in the air, no movement for a couple of seconds not even to feel their jaw, then got back up after a short while and continued playing. No questions asked by anyone, everyone saw it.

Didn't look like much at the time, certainly far less severe than the Aliir Jones clash, and I thought he may have been stunned but not concussed. It was a very close game, but I doubt this team would have compromised a players safety to keep him on the field.

If I see that again, what should I think?
Since you would have watched the Power game each week over the last few years, I’d say you’re quite experienced in observing deliberate mismanagement of concussion. So probably best to leave it with you as to what to think.

If the AFL didn't do a thing, do you think the 2 players play this week?
100% both would have played this week. Their whole intention was to skirt the concussion protocols.

Allir they sent back on, and Jones they lied about having an unrelated “migraine” and then sat him under bright stadium lights and 50k screaming fans for the rest of the match.

i have no idea how much they should be fined, however port will realise the stick has gotten bigger since their last *-up, and will be bigger next time if it happens again. at least with the soft cap being hit they will feel some effect regardless of any truth in afl paying the fine themselves.

You might be right about why the AFL was lenient but this one is extremely smelly.

D-B-J was in a different stakes match. Port had won 13 in row, were already resting some sore players, and were on the road against a bit of a meh opponent. At the time, locked into a top 2 spot the stakes were low and DBJ is hardly a key structural player

The unfortunate incident on the weekend happened with the team heading for a thrid straight loss, in a showdown. Suddenly ladder position matters a bit more. And it was TWO key position defenders at once and Tex was already running rampant.

Do I think Port made a different choice because it was a Showdown and because losses matter a bit more now? Yep, 100% and that shows they simply don't get it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A $100K fine in the context of a football club that generates $60M in annual revenue is manifestly inadequate.

I don't hold high hopes for the AFL administration at the best of times.. but they have had an exceptionally poor week :thumbsdown:

Did Joel Selwood play onin his 1st qtr hit vs Adelaide?

Im concerned about clubs doing the tests but poorly.

Time for independent doctors who arent under pressure to win at all costs.

Are there any examples of other incidents.

Iremember a big hit between Aaron Young I believe and Luke Hodge. Cant find it. Both players from memory played on

Since you would have watched the Power game each week over the last few years, I’d say you’re quite experienced in observing deliberate mismanagement of concussion. So probably best to leave it with you as to what to think.
Chelsea Randall says hi.

During the week I recall Barrett talking about changes to the medical review processs via the ARC. Are there any more details available regarding such actioned or pending procedural adjustments, or is the fine all anyone cares about here?

How can this be called an error?

Because calling it anything else would open the door to major issues, both PR and legal, for Port and the AFL.

So we get a cover up with the AFL pretending it was just an error.

but don't be surprised if Port 'just happen' to change doctors in the off season after the current doc decides, without any prompting of course, to pursue other activities.

I literally wrote that Port Adelaide made the mistake, why would you claim I wrote the opposite?
You are trying to make it sound like, because Port have followed protocols before, means they didn't mean to do it this time.

Anyone that can see and think for themselves can see Port tried to cheat.

They have already been fined before, so have history.

Well, we've had 3 players today been pulled out of the side injured after being named in the teams yesterday.

Lycett, Dixon and Farrell who all appear to have been struggling with injury a while but being rolled out to hobble around.

I suspect we've got input from a different medical source and they've said "wtf are you clowns doing playing these blokes injured?"

Fines aren't much penalty if the offender is a welfare club.

Guess clubs know the price now. If Daicos goes down early in a GF, 100K to get him back out there and maybe win a flag at the expense of his health.

Heck, you can probably do it a couple of times before you've matched Port's level of egregiousness here.

I mean even then it's not a very smart move. Concussed players aren't going to be thinking right, probably worse motor skills and reaction times etc. Aliir spent most of the second half wandering round on his own while Tex had about 15 scoring opportunities

You are trying to make it sound like, because Port have followed protocols before, means they didn't mean to do it this time.

Anyone that can see and think for themselves can see Port tried to cheat.

They have already been fined before, so have history.
No, what I said was that theyd made mistakes, not a systemic failure of process. As shown literally two weeks beforehand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back