Gawn and Grundy - a failure?

Remove this Banner Ad

Paul Salmon is the only ruck i think that has ever worked trying to play them as a key forward, clubs get sucked in time and time again and they end up becoming a liability in your forward line, having zero impact and the opposition plays through their opponent on the counter.

Paul Salmon is the only ruck i think that has ever worked trying to play them as a key forward, clubs get sucked in time and time again and they end up becoming a liability in your forward line, having zero impact and the opposition plays through their opponent on the counter.
i just think that, unless they have the natural goal kicking ability like salmon did it's hard to convert a big man into a strong key forward...

i've seen a lot of them kick and it's a bit s**t to say the least

Simon Madden went alright too around goals.

I think it is game plan/coaching issue.
When he rucks, Grundy is not too bad. Melbourne has bigger selection problems than Grundy.
e.g. the rest of the dysfunctional forward line.

Poor Grundy, dropped by 2 clubs even though by himself he's one of the top 5 rucks in the league. He is dumb for moving to Melbourne in the first place though

Grundy is a gun ruck, but going to Melbourne would of been like Tim English going to Melbourne, not achieved much and waste of resources.

I think it is game plan/coaching issue.
When he rucks, Grundy is not too bad
. Melbourne has bigger selection problems than Grundy.
e.g. the rest of the dysfunctional forward line.
No s**t. That is the issue. Your coach thought he could have 2 very well paid Ruckman play in the same side. Yeah other teams do play 2 Rucks at times just not at that cost. Fact is neither Grundy or Gawn are crash hot when not playing Ruck.

Poor Grundy, dropped by 2 clubs even though by himself he's one of the top 5 rucks in the league. He is dumb for moving to Melbourne in the first place though
and we all thought Preuss was dumb leaving North because he was stuck behind Goldy, but them chose to go to Dees to be stuck behind Max.

Difference with Grundy is that he's being paid $900k/season to play VFL, nice work if you can get it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How good would Butters/Rozee be with a decent ruckman tapping to them?
Really good. Which is why I'd like to see Grundy remain at Casey Scorpions in the VFL.
Unless of course Port Adelaide can come up with a nice big fat sack that will make us much stronger, which I don't see happening unfortunately.

Ridiculously arrogant of Melbourne and their supporters to believe this would be anything but a failure .

Simply thought they could replace Jackson with Grundy and things would roll on the same . Jackson is a unicorn and can play anywhere Grundy is a number 1 ruck and nothing else.

Really feel this was another Simon “good stuff “Goodwin aloof idea that’s backfired badly on the dees

May is running in straight lines with the end approaching quickly. - I agree he doesn't look comfortable changing angles
Lever is moving like Harry Taylor did in the final years (broom stick lodged up the backside). - I agree he just isn't as athletic as he once was
Petty, Brown & McDonald collectively, would be the three least agile talls in the competition. I think that's harsh on Petty. Agree with the other 2

If you watch this weeks clash between the Dogs v Pies, take a look at their tall timber as an example, all very athletic and very agile so you can afford the luxury of playing two blokes 6ft'9+ on either side. - So who are you saying is agile? Moore yes, English maybe. Lobb no, Cox heck no, JUH not really
This is a pile of steaming horse s**t.

Ridiculously arrogant of Melbourne and their supporters to believe this would be anything but a failure .

Simply thought they could replace Jackson with Grundy and things would roll on the same . Jackson is a unicorn and can play anywhere Grundy is a number 1 ruck and nothing else.

Really feel this was another Simon “good stuff “Goodwin aloof idea that’s backfired badly on the dees
For the record, I was saying that picking Grundy was a dumb idea from the outset.

But Freo fans shouldn't be peacocking. 6 months of saying Jackson 'was a 2nd ruck only', 'was only potential', 'we dont need him', 'dees are crazy for wanting 3 first rounders.etc. The complete misread of obvious talent was embarassing for the entire supporter base.

For the record, I was saying that picking Grundy was a dumb idea from the outset.

But Freo fans shouldn't be peacocking. 6 months of saying Jackson 'was a 2nd ruck only', 'was only potential', 'we dont need him', 'dees are crazy for wanting 3 first rounders.etc. The complete misread of obvious talent was embarassing for the entire supporter base.
Correct.

All we heard was how average Jackson was and Fremantle paid too much for him. The minute he started turning it on he was claimed as the best recruit in their history (not hard) and how we ‘let him go’.

Jesus, you blokes are all over Jackson now…. Wanted his head on a spike after the first 6 weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back