Gawn and Grundy - a failure?

Remove this Banner Ad

With JVR getting suspended Grundy might have to play out of necessity in us having no fit forward talls

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
As much as you love Max around the ground how much better could Melbourne be if Max plays FF and Grundy rucks with Fritsch leading up the ground?

As much as you love Max around the ground how much better could Melbourne be if Max plays FF and Grundy rucks with Fritsch leading up the ground?
This has the only way it could ever work since round 1. Grundy is a ruck and ONLY a ruck, he is actually not that much worse than Gawn as a ruck. Gawn can actually take a contested mark and kick a goal , so if this was ever going to work then Gawn would have to be the one to play forward .

Pure arrogance and ego from Melbourne trying to have their cake and eat it too by bringing in a pure ruck like Grundy and wanting Gawn to continue to be the main ruck.

This has the only way it could ever work since round 1. Grundy is a ruck and ONLY a ruck, he is actually not that much worse than Gawn as a ruck. Gawn can actually take a contested mark and kick a goal , so if this was ever going to work then Gawn would have to be the one to play forward .

Pure arrogance and ego from Melbourne trying to have their cake and eat it too by bringing in a pure ruck like Grundy and wanting Gawn to continue to be the main ruck.

How is it arrogance "wanting Gawn to continue to be the main ruck"? He is the best ruckman in the competition by a long long way on his day (irrespective of English being named AA). If you've got the best ruckman, why would you play him 70% out of the goal square?

It is an experiment that clearly hasn't worked as planned. I think (like most) Melbourne was expecting five on the bench with no sub, in which case it probably would have been an advantage.

If you've got the best ruckman, why would you play him 70% out of the goal square?
I think you’re right here and about if the interchange were modified but Grundy’s only value to the team is in the ruck.

You do it if there are diminishing returns on Gawn’s superiority for team performance. Ruck is just that important that maximising is almost always the answer. It just means Grundy and his contract have no upside at all it is a sunk cost. Melbourne have been smart to not persist.

Trying to anticipate the rule change is a good excuse but if the team never thought Grundy was the better ruck then it was always a very risky move and perhaps the arrogance was thinking they could read the AFL’s mind.

Grundy is heaps worse than Gawn as a ruck. Gawn is comfortably the best ruck in the league. Grundy would be maybe 15th. He's an absolute plodder

Looking like it
Tom MacDonald would only be hanging on as well. He looked well past it v Pies
The cliff came very fast for him. He was really big the first half of 2021 but struggled the rest of the year. Last year was pretty spent and this year has been out of favour. Literally only played against Collingwood on Thursday due to injuries.

Grundy is heaps worse than Gawn as a ruck. Gawn is comfortably the best ruck in the league. Grundy would be maybe 15th. He's an absolute plodder
I'm not sure he's comfortably the best ruck in the league anymore..

The cliff came very fast for him. He was really big the first half of 2021 but struggled the rest of the year. Last year was pretty spent and this year has been out of favour. Literally only played against Collingwood on Thursday due to injuries.
You could structure a forward line around JVR and Petty with Pickett Trac Neal Bullen and Fritsch. That's a very good forward line in my view. The issue is the next tier when they are out. I really rate JVR, think he has all the tools to be a gun forward in modern footy.

McDonald - cooked
Brown - squib
Grundy - not a forward
Schache - squib
Smith - solid citizen but in the games I've seen recently doesn't seem like a long term option.

One more key forward would help as the option up forward. Someone like a Hayden McLean would have helped.

Complete and utter failure. What’s worse is that Petty only got shifted forward late in the year because we had to save face and play Grundy. When he went forward he started showing how he could be a decent target that wasn’t past it like McDonald and Brown. Kicked 6 against Richmond and contests and presents very well.

We are close to blowing two years post 2021 given this muck up. We had something like 37 entries at one point for 2 goals. Don’t quote me but I think it was that dire. We kept a very good side to 60 points, we are so well drilled in defence but our totally one dimensional forward line is costing us almost every week.

I am not sure what the rationale was getting Grundy, he never succeeded playing forward when Collingwood rotated him nor has Gawn. Little patches, ok, but not up there as a proper KPF. We just need to move him on, take the hit, and concede it as a terrible call. We’ve probably got one more chance next year, just one. May and Gawn are getting on and when May drops off we will need to replace him as well. Not easy.

The solution next week is to play Petracca up there, we are shifting deck chairs on the titanic now, but at least we know he can kick goals and is dangerous. I’d honestly just go smaller. McDonald and Brown can’t be used. Van Rooyen is going to get two weeks for rinsing McStay. If Carlton win tonight then Weitering might be clunking 20 marks next week and ending our year.

I am at a loss for ideas, but I am not paid upwards of half a million gold bars to fix it.
Blues will be without McKay so it evens out although I actually think they look better without him
Never thought I'd say this but Melksham injury has ended being significant
Petty is the significant one. Outside of Fritsch is the only capable tall when he's been down there. Made a mess of a solid Tigers defence so couldn't see why he couldn't have done the same with 70 inside 50s. At the very least the ball would have hit the ground more often.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a failure yet. If he comes and they win a final this thread takes a turn. However, their original intention to replace Jackson didn't really work as they are different players in terms of style.

English won't play a game like Gawns on Thursday night in his lifetime. Not saying he isn't good because he is Gawn is an all timer.
Reminder that Max Gawn received his first All Australian jacket at 25. Tim turned 26 a month ago.

If someone had told you from then Gawn would go on to do everything he’s done you’d call him crazy.

Regardless. Gawn isn’t comfortably the best ruckman in the competition.

Reminder that Max Gawn received his first All Australian jacket at 25. Tim turned 26 a month ago.

If someone had told you from then Gawn would go on to do everything he’s done you’d call him crazy.

Regardless. Gawn isn’t comfortably the best ruckman in the competition.
Jackson was pulling similar numbers to English in the 2nd half of the year and he is 21

Jackson was pulling similar numbers to English in the 2nd half of the year and he is 21
Jackson is also going to be a very good ruckman. That doesn’t mean Gawn is comfortably the best ruckman in the comp. Stop trying for a gotcha moment.

Jackson is also going to be a very good ruckman. That doesn’t mean Gawn is comfortably the best ruckman in the comp. Stop trying for a gotcha moment.
If any club had the choice to select a ruck right now to play a finals tomorrow 100% of teams would select Max Gawn. He is the best in the business. He hasn't had the best year but overall he is still the best.

If any club had the choice to select a ruck right now to play a finals tomorrow 100% of teams would select Max Gawn. He is the best in the business. He hasn't had the best year but overall he is still the best.
I haven't said he isn't the best.

I've said he isn't comfortably the best.

AFL needs to get rid of the bigger centre circle so Grundy and Gawn can both start in the middle ala McKee and Fraser then the opposition ruckman has to try figure out which one he is going up against as the umpire bounces it.

Plus, this would also be more fun for the viewers.

Goodwin is the coach that said Melbourne would appreciate a player like Grundy, rather than his former club.

Odd statement to make considering a few months later...

It kind if shows where Goodwin is at as a coach.
What Goodwin meant the 15 times he said "Grundy is now at a club where he feels valued" was in relation to Melbourne's VFL team obviously.

Goodwin does not deport himself well. Seems on edge. Twitchy even. Has a weird grey complexion too. Reminds me of Bomber Thompson in his last year at the cats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back