Roast Port Adelaide's failure to do a HIA assessment on Aliir - [AFL confirms both players FAILED concussion tests on Monday]

Remove this Banner Ad

How can this be called an error? The doctor knew he needed to do the concussion test but didn't because it was Aliir.

This is a disgraceful cover up. 100k fine which does nothing really to the team on the field, for trying to cheat by having someone play when the rules say they should be assessed.

It's cheating and deserves points loss or draft picks removed.

Part of me wonders how much of this comes from Hinkley. Port have been rule breakers for a few years now. The only club I noticed blatantly abusing the medical sub during covid (when the rule was only if a player is almost certain to miss the next 14 days, just to repeatedly do it in tight games and have them play the next week), now this.

Welp that’s precedence then.

We know if it happens in a GF, and one of your best players has a head knock.. all good to send them back out.. worth the 100k fine.

Concussion will never tear the player and club apart.

Unless said player later develops CTE and sues the living pants off the club and the competition owners who endorsed putting him back on the field clearly concussed.

Quite astounding given Frawley, Jay Schulz, Tuck, Picken, Jarman etc

How can this be called an error? The doctor knew he needed to do the concussion test but didn't because it was Aliir.

This is a disgraceful cover up. 100k fine which does nothing really to the team on the field, for trying to cheat by having someone play when the rules say they should be assessed.

It's cheating and deserves points loss or draft picks removed.
User name to comment correlation non existent.

Part of me wonders how much of this comes from Hinkley. Port have been rule breakers for a few years now. The only club I noticed blatantly abusing the medical sub during covid (when the rule was only if a player is almost certain to miss the next 14 days, just to repeatedly do it in tight games and have them play the next week), now this.

Maybe Chris Davies is involved as well. He was sh!tting bricks during the post match aftermath as if he had been caught red handed.

Daddy donuts went to ground during the week only to pipe up about his contract extension not being signed yet.

I don't think its our president or CEO who too vanilla to even force the footy department down this track. At the moment there is a lost persons search for our CEO as he has gone missing for weeks now.

Fines aren't much penalty if the offender is a welfare club.

Guess clubs know the price now. If Daicos goes down early in a GF, 100K to get him back out there and maybe win a flag at the expense of his health.

Heck, you can probably do it a couple of times before you've matched Port's level of egregiousness here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

User name to comment correlation non existent.

Port tried to cheat and got caught. Do we think they would have gone back and let us know they'd made a mistake if there wasn't an uproar? Would Aliir and Jones be playing this week? So they got caught and then they fessed up. See how this is a problem? Even on Saturday night after the game and Monday morning the word coming out of the club was to defend their doctor. Nothing to see here.

AFL hugely to blame for this too, that's why the crappy punishment. Ridiculously allowed Port to get away with it last year with Butters and Jonas and so couldn't show that this was clearly a club thinking they could get away with cheating in relation to the concussion protocols.

Also swept under the rug, where is the bloody doctors explanation for making this error? I didn't see the screen? My eyesight is bad? What did he tell Ken on the bench? There was too much going on at once? The AFL asked for a please explain and then didn't tell us what the explanation was!!!

Not surprised by the pathetic penalty. I can only hope this comes back to bite Port and the AFL on the arse with massive court cases down the track.

Who would you try and sue down the track if you were one of the 2 players?
AFL for not having good enough protocols or Port for disregarding what they did set?
Both would be involved tbf. Port for showing blatant disregard for their players health and the AFL for not giving a s**t.

Who would you try and sue down the track if you were one of the 2 players?
AFL for not having good enough protocols or Port for disregarding what they did set?
The AFL.

What we did was average, but as far as the actual concussion injury is concerned it happened due to being part of the game, nothing happened after being sent back out, nor could it be proven that the initial injury got worse due to being sent back out.

The AFL.

What we did was average, but as far as the actual concussion injury is concerned it happened due to being part of the game, nothing happened after being sent back out, nor could it be proven that the initial injury got worse due to being sent back out.
I'm taking down the track and used that incident as evidence.

The AFL have protocols in place, but are they good enough, or they are in place and work if you don't disregard them?

I know which one I would prefer.

Port tried to cheat and got caught. Do we think they would have gone back and let us know they'd made a mistake if there wasn't an uproar? Would Aliir and Jones be playing this week? So they got caught and then they fessed up. See how this is a problem? Even on Saturday night after the game and Monday morning the word coming out of the club was to defend their doctor. Nothing to see here.

AFL hugely to blame for this too, that's why the crappy punishment. Ridiculously allowed Port to get away with it last year with Butters and Jonas and so couldn't show that this was clearly a club thinking they could get away with cheating in relation to the concussion protocols.

Also swept under the rug, where is the bloody doctors explanation for making this error? I didn't see the screen? My eyesight is bad? What did he tell Ken on the bench? There was too much going on at once? The AFL asked for a please explain and then didn't tell us what the explanation was!!!
Thanks, I'm learning a lot here.

The previous week, I saw a player struck on the jaw, fell down without any attempt to break their fall, arms out in front in the concussion pose with a leg frozen in the air, no movement for a couple of seconds not even to feel their jaw, then got back up after a short while and continued playing. No questions asked by anyone, everyone saw it.

Didn't look like much at the time, certainly far less severe than the Aliir Jones clash, and I thought he may have been stunned but not concussed. It was a very close game, but I doubt this team would have compromised a players safety to keep him on the field.

If I see that again, what should I think?

The problem is that any penalties regarding concussion protocols should be clear prior to the infraction, not post. If the Port Doctor/Ken Hinkley knew that there was a penalty/precedent from previous concussions I would be shocked if Allir Allir would return to the field.

A simple solution would be to take it out of the club's hands and have an AFL doc make the call. But the way the AFL is run I would be surprised if this would ever happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back