News Swans Talk in the Media 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Cordy in Code has an interview with Tom Harley , not a bad read
Discussion on the need for redevelopment of the SCG.
From an Aussie rules perspective, the stands which need replacing are the Brewongle-Churchill (built 1980 and 1986 respectively) and the Bill O’Reilly (built 1984 as the Pat Hills Stand). The Brewongle-Churchill Stand also houses the worst AFL media/broadcast facilities of any capital city. Replacing either of these stands would also provide the opportunity for a drop-in cricket pitch.
Unfortunately for the Swans and the AFL, the immediate prospect of funding for any SCG redevelopment is limited and their timing couldn’t be worse.
(State election - schools, hospitals before stadiums and Govt already spent $800mill on Allianz Stadium).

Harley on the GF loss
“We’ve put a lot of work into separating what happened on grand final day and what happened in the past two years,” Harley says.
I’m certainly not a subscriber to those who say you are better off not being there to losing one.

Talk regarding the salary cap & facilities
While he’s not on the $1 million-plus per season he once commanded, Buddy’s retirement will still leave some salary cap space at the end of the year and the possibility of the Swans becoming active again in the free agency market. (Note; this appears to be Cordy's view)

Harley wouldn’t speculate on who that might be, but is hopeful the state of the art training and administration centre will be a drawcard.
“Most of the clubs have state-of-the-art resources. The thing that separates us is it’s a stone’s throw from our home ground. We can train, play and prepare and welcome all our members all in the one space. There aren’t many clubs that can do that.”

23JAN23: Isaac Heeney Interview/SEN
Heeney on SEN after 2
Got it👍 and everyone has to skoll when Derwayne mentions the academies. I actually haven't listened but he never lets an opportunity pass.

Got it👍 and everyone has to skoll when Derwayne mentions the academies. I actually haven't listened but he never lets an opportunity pass.

Thank you Ticky009. I love it when people call in and call him another name like Wayne and other things , he hates it

I don't think Amartey's gonna be out by R1. He's losing almost his entire preseason but we're 8 weeks away from the season starting and by the sounds of things Amartey will be back to full health in 6-ish

As for Sammy, idk how long an adductor takes to heal tbh
The Swans medical staff apparently thought it would only take 4-5 days to heal , back in September. ;)

Thank you, Ticky009, for the link to the interview with James Bell. A very worthwhile listen. A sad reminder how tough it is to achieve an AFL career. It’s also a strong reminder of how important is “between the ears” and the influence that fans can have on that. Surely the abuse directed at James came not from actual Swans supporters but racist, anti-AFL, anti-Swans trolls.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Your liver is safe, no academy talk.

However for those like Ticky009 who suffer Dwanyeitis, my takeaways.
Interview ~13 minutes in length.

Heeney is really pleased with the new facility.
Indoor field about 60 x 30 metres.

As with Rampe, Heeney highlighted Konstanty & Mitchell who " have really come in and torn the track apart.....really classy footballers".
2 senior payers highlighting the same two new draftees. :thumbsu:

Isaac said he'd love to captain the team down the track, pushing for the leadership group and sees himself as a fwd, with spurts in the midfield, potentially 70/30 split.
Horse has given him the license to make the call on the field.

Starting in two weeks time we have two internal scratch matches then we play Brisbane & Carlton, another internal game and then the season proper starts.
Players basically fed up with running, want some games.
Players now going 100% physicality from last week onwards.
Heeney "When we do things we do them properly".

Last edited:
As with Rampe, Heeney highlighted Konstanty & Mitchell who " have really come in and torn the track apart.....really classy footballers".
2 senior payers highlighting the same two new draftees. :thumbsu:
Of course Mitchell is killing it in preseason, at this point it shouldn't be a surprise when a left field Kinnear pick kills it. This is basically Justin McInerney all over again. An early 3rd round pick, winger, who was tipped to go undrafted, and surprises everyone except draft god himself by earning consistent gametime in year two or earlier

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank you, Ticky009, for the link to the interview with James Bell. A very worthwhile listen. A sad reminder how tough it is to achieve an AFL career. It’s also a strong reminder of how important is “between the ears” and the influence that fans can have on that. Surely the abuse directed at James came not from actual Swans supporters but racist, anti-AFL, anti-Swans trolls.

Blaming someone for missing an easy goal doesn't mean you're racist. Plenty of Swans fans bemoaned James missing that shot and tore into his credentials to be playing senior footy. Happened on this board following the loss. Not racially motivated just raw feeling from a 1 point finals exit.

It's heart breaking to see how much it has effected him and probably the worst of it was via social media but in the same way Reid gets ripped into, Bell copped it from Swans fans.

The reality though was that a player on that edge of reserves or seniors is going to be death ridden by supporters when they seemingly cost us the game (Not my or everyone's opinion, but the footy public do single out moments rather than the bigger picture)

Just hope he can move on from the disappointment of delisting and accept he had a fair career, well above many of his peers who never get a senior gig.

I know you are referring to other racist and hate/troll activity and sadly there would be that element but some Swans fans gave it to him pretty bad and contributed to his reflection of that time. Maybe me included, on here at least, I can't recall if I wrote anything but I was certainly thinking poorly of him for the miss.

Was does racism always come into it with 1st nation players , some just aren't good enough . I thought he got too many games , is that racist ?

Was does racism always come into it with 1st nation players , some just aren't good enough . I thought he got too many games , is that racist ?
I've heard it mentioned a few times that it is racist if the person on the receiving end perceives it as racist.
So you can say the same thing to two different people and it depends upon how they perceive your comments. One person might perceive you as racist, the other person not.
I can see the logic in this.

I've heard it mentioned a few times that it is racist if the person on the receiving end perceives it as racist.
So you can say the same thing to two different people and it depends upon how they perceive your comments. One person might perceive you as racist, the other person not.
I can see the logic in this.
Agree , but it's easy like that poster says it to think it all is

Agree , but it's easy like that poster says it to think it all is
When your dreams are destroyed you probably aren't making fine distinctions. Whatever openly racist stuff came his way will have made a deep impression and tainted everything.
There's a lot more to social media than Big Footy and there's some pretty awful stuff out there.

In the podcast, he directly makes references to being bagged out for the miss by being called a black campaigner and references to petrol sniffing. Some of the abuse he copped was clearly racist.
Maybe but not here , i bagged him out from day 1 for being not good enough , just like i did Jarred Sunquivst

4 sons of Bloods joined the team on the training track

4 sons of Bloods joined the team on the training track

Great story we are back on track

Blaming someone for missing an easy goal doesn't mean you're racist. Plenty of Swans fans bemoaned James missing that shot and tore into his credentials to be playing senior footy. Happened on this board following the loss. Not racially motivated just raw feeling from a 1 point finals exit.

It's heart breaking to see how much it has effected him and probably the worst of it was via social media but in the same way Reid gets ripped into, Bell copped it from Swans fans.

The reality though was that a player on that edge of reserves or seniors is going to be death ridden by supporters when they seemingly cost us the game (Not my or everyone's opinion, but the footy public do single out moments rather than the bigger picture)

Just hope he can move on from the disappointment of delisting and accept he had a fair career, well above many of his peers who never get a senior gig.

I know you are referring to other racist and hate/troll activity and sadly there would be that element but some Swans fans gave it to him pretty bad and contributed to his reflection of that time. Maybe me included, on here at least, I can't recall if I wrote anything but I was certainly thinking poorly of him for the miss.

“tore into his credentials”, “going to be death ridden”, “gave it to him pretty bad and contributed to his reflection” … does anyone seriously think that any player who misses the chance to kick a winning goal needs help with their reflection? Is giving it to someone pretty bad likely to help the player improve?

What is helpful is identifying the areas a player needs to work on, better still if specific skills in that area are identified. Being constructive in criticism doesn’t mean being soft. It does mean being thoughtful and supporting players and the team we supposedly care about.

There will be a few who don’t want to do that. They need to vent. Scream at the TV, let rip with a mate, kick a footy. Just vent where the player can’t hear or read it.

It’s clear that Bell was subjected to some foul racial abuse. But it’s also the case that Indigenous players are often more easily hurt, even if the language is not explicitly racist.

Mental health issues are becoming endemic amongst AFL players and social media is a significant part of the reason. It’s easy to say players need to toughen up, like they said about Adam Goodes. Or that players shouldn’t look at social media, but they do because they’re curious, as Bell put it.

Being respectful. It’s a big part of what the club we love stands for.

“tore into his credentials”, “going to be death ridden”, “gave it to him pretty bad and contributed to his reflection” … does anyone seriously think that any player who misses the chance to kick a winning goal needs help with their reflection? Is giving it to someone pretty bad likely to help the player improve?

What is helpful is identifying the areas a player needs to work on, better still if specific skills in that area are identified. Being constructive in criticism doesn’t mean being soft. It does mean being thoughtful and supporting players and the team we supposedly care about.

There will be a few who don’t want to do that. They need to vent. Scream at the TV, let rip with a mate, kick a footy. Just vent where the player can’t hear or read it.

It’s clear that Bell was subjected to some foul racial abuse. But it’s also the case that Indigenous players are often more easily hurt, even if the language is not explicitly racist.

Mental health issues are becoming endemic amongst AFL players and social media is a significant part of the reason. It’s easy to say players need to toughen up, like they said about Adam Goodes. Or that players shouldn’t look at social media, but they do because they’re curious, as Bell put it.

Being respectful. It’s a big part of what the club we love stands for.

Doesn't matter who you are , green, black, purple , gay , straight or anything else , everyone gets offended by something ! Anyhow i'm off topic on a thread that's had a good week.

Doesn't matter who you are , green, black, purple , gay , straight or anything else , everyone gets offended by something ! Anyhow i'm off topic on a thread that's had a good week.
Yes I'm glad for your sake this thread has been very on-topic bedders. How's your golf game been going lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back