News Swans Talk in the Media 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article on Code Sports on each club's most irreplaceable MVP. Will Schofield names Heeney as ours, with Mills, Parker, Franklin, Papley and Warner as honourable mentions.

No mention of Tom McCartin.

Clearly never watched a game of ours or viewed our list in his life.
I would have chosen Mills as our MVP.

I would have chosen Mills as our MVP.
I think if this board has proven anything it's that you could have about 10 different players in the conversation. But to not even include McCartin in the conversation is absolute mediocrity.

latest on injuries

Sydney​

The Swans’ big-man stocks have taken a bit of a hit. Hayden McLean will miss three weeks with a quadriceps strain, and Joel Amartey is out for another four with his hamstring. Lance Franklin and Sam Reid will join in full training in the next fortnight after calf tightness before Christmas. Forward Ryan Clarke is nursing a hamstring strain that will sideline him for four weeks.

latest on injuries

Sydney​

The Swans’ big-man stocks have taken a bit of a hit. Hayden McLean will miss three weeks with a quadriceps strain, and Joel Amartey is out for another four with his hamstring. Lance Franklin and Sam Reid will join in full training in the next fortnight after calf tightness before Christmas. Forward Ryan Clarke is nursing a hamstring strain that will sideline him for four weeks.
Translation: Logan is our only tall forward truly ready for Round 1.

latest on injuries

Sydney​

Might have to play Hickey and Ladhams in the same team

Translation: Logan is our only tall forward truly ready for Round 1.
thats a bit 'glass half empty'
Buddy and Reid (both mature players who dont need a pre-season like they used to) will be back to full training in time for the pre-season matches, and plenty of time for rd 1.
Amartey and McLean should be ready for rd 1 - likely to play vfl.

I reckon rather than your 'translation'.. maybe the 'morale of this story is' we need another tall forward.
Injurys to those talls (and injuries to Buddy, Reid & Amartey are highly likely) could be a massive blow to our season

I reckon rather than your 'translation'.. maybe the 'morale of this story is' we need another tall forward.
Kinnear & Co are aware of this, they said so before the draft. They didn't pull the trigger though because they didn't like the Key Forwards in the draft after Cadman and Jefferson (and I don't blame them cos the only other one who went top 40 was swingman Max Gruzewski). You can basically lock in us picking up a KPF at some point next offseason

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might have to play Hickey and Ladhams in the same team

Honestly don't hate this, Ladhams can provide a contest up forward

We also have versatile forward options, Heeney and Haywards are both exceptional one on one.

thats a bit 'glass half empty'
Buddy and Reid (both mature players who dont need a pre-season like they used to) will be back to full training in time for the pre-season matches, and plenty of time for rd 1.
Amartey and McLean should be ready for rd 1 - likely to play vfl.

Injurys to those talls (and injuries to Buddy, Reid & Amartey are highly likely) could be a massive blow to our season
It probably is a bit pessimistic - but I think it’s fair to say Reid and Buddy are injury prone & we do need an Armatey or McLean to improve.

In good news for the Sheldrick Appreciation Society, Clamp’s injury means Gus is firming for R1!

If a player chooses to come onto a platform to read these pages against the advice of clubs not to do that then they do so at their own risk.

As I’ve said all the nice feel good ways to be a supporter are not reality.

This is my place to vent and support. A place I feel I can do it without harming the sensitivity of a player as it’s reasonable not to expect them to be reading.

My criticism is mild and I mainly support. But when a player contributes to a close loss especially a final I might say “hopeless” in that hour after.

Fight the good fight all you want but I’ll support my way (usually positive) but emotion driven after a loss for a small window.

If any player is reading. You’ve been warned. But I still love you.

One of the difficulties with what you’re suggesting is that it’s likely every player will have contributed at some point to a close losing game.

Would it be a better vent to review the entire match, then let us know about each dropped mark, fumble, miskick, slipped tackle, free against, poor handball, etc etc not to mention missed goal?

Leigh Mathews compared kicking a pressure goal to walking a 30 cm wide, 10 metre plank. Easy when it’s on the ground, but a different matter when it’s 10 metres off the ground.

Travis Cloke, the once great Collingwood centre half forward, described how one of players’ first acts after a game was to check social media on their phones. They had been told not to. They knew they shouldn’t. But they did. And players always will do.

Cloke started missing shots, a few at first and then often. He developed depression and was finally lost to Collingwood.

So, vent about a loss, vent about the umpiring, vent about coaching mistakes and vent about the team.

Leave the coaches to sort the individual player.

It’s not just the respectful thing to do, it’s the smart thing. The player who’s finding their feet today might be tomorrow’s champion … Rhyce Shaw, Kieran Jack, James Rowbottom, Dylan Stephens et al

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s not just the respectful thing to do, it’s the smart thing. The player who’s finding their feet today might be tomorrow’s champion … Rhyce Shaw, Kieran Jack, James Rowbottom, Dylan Stephens et al

Great idea.

imagine no moaning about an individual sports players, you'd halve the worlds internet traffic and possibly reverse climate change in the same action through restricting consumption.

Devilishly good idea.

One of the difficulties with what you’re suggesting is that it’s likely every player will have contributed at some point to a close losing game.

Would it be a better vent to review the entire match, then let us know about each dropped mark, fumble, miskick, slipped tackle, free against, poor handball, etc etc not to mention missed goal?

Leigh Mathews compared kicking a pressure goal to walking a 30 cm wide, 10 metre plank. Easy when it’s on the ground, but a different matter when it’s 10 metres off the ground.

Travis Cloke, the once great Collingwood centre half forward, described how one of players’ first acts after a game was to check social media on their phones. They had been told not to. They knew they shouldn’t. But they did. And players always will do.

Cloke started missing shots, a few at first and then often. He developed depression and was finally lost to Collingwood.

So, vent about a loss, vent about the umpiring, vent about coaching mistakes and vent about the team.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Once again you’re in fairy tale land where everybody is rational and hugs all round.

Again fight the good fight for how to be the perfect supporter or the respectful “smart” supporter.

Leigh Matthews started the Goodes hate with his “protected species” comments. Don’t throw his words of wisdom at me as that’s pointless.

Not a single attempt to take the higher moral ground will stop me being emotive after a loss. And as I’ve said many times my history of it is pretty mild.

You’re my hero though so smart so respectful the swans are lucky to have you flying the flag.

05FEB23: Swans Daily Media
It's all about the youf in today's articles

And here's funding details - always a conversation starter

Last edited:
It's all about the youf in today's articles

Gotta love the Fox coverage:

Headline: “X-factor youngsters / draftees set to explode”

Then talks about Heeney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back