Autopsy Swans vs. Eagles - Rd 12, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

What have I been saying since the very beginning of this season... our youngsters just haven't been able to co-ordinate their performances. I've enjoyed this year because I knew at some point down the road, their form would synchronise, and tonight was the first glimpse at what it looks like when they're all on-song.

When we have Dawson and Heeney both flying for marks around the ground with confidence. When we have Florent (who is still incredibly slept on by this board) hitting contests and loose balls with pace. When we have Blakey kicking inside 50 to actual forward targets (as opposed to Blakey himself struggling as a target.) When we have Hewett having the confidence to win his own ball and burn a leader like Parker if he was in a better position. When we have Aliir being a right ol' pain in the arse for opposition sides. When we have Papley who looks like he'll lead to a scoring opportunity every time he's near it, even at half back. When we have Mills actually playing with a bit of flair as opposed to just shutting down blokes and just being OK at it.

And not only were they all on-song, but they were consistent. The effort never wavered across the four quarters and the application was finally there for four quarters. For the first time this year. I know it's West Coast, and they're sort of our bitches, especially at the SCG, but this should be considered a milestone win for this group because of that reason. It won't always look like this, in fact the bye might actually screw around with some players' form and such, but at least tonight validated the direction of this club. We put it all together in one match for four quarters now, next step, do it again, and again, and again.

Great win to say the least. Pressure was the most important part.

West Coast were witches hats so we'll see if they can keep the high flowing offense up for before the bye, the defence was some of that peak Swans goodness though.

Rampe All-Australian

Hi all,
how did Menzel go?

No scoring but very clean skills and was often in good position for us.

Most of his touches on centre-wing as we were exiting defence.

Hi all,
how did Menzel go?
He didn’t score but as he had two or three other forwards on fire he didn’t need to. Instead he busied himself on playing a support role and I thought he did that well. Smooth and skilful and if anyone says he doesn’t work hard enough then that may have helped them think again.

Not great but good enough to build on. There’s hope for him yet.

Rampe and Mills took 23 marks between them, Allir is having a great season.

Papley... what do you say about him? in AA form.

Franklin and Papley understanding is a beautiful thing to watch.

Clarke is doing a underated job and still picked up 22 disposals.

Hewett dare i say might be one of our most important players.

We are going to be a pain in the ass for top 8 teams if we play like that.

Sadly Mcveigh looks to have done his calf again :(

Agree, its very annoying that the season is a write off now.

He didn’t score but as he had two or three other forwards on fire he didn’t need to. Instead he busied himself on playing a support role and I thought he did that well. Smooth and skilful and if anyone says he doesn’t work hard enough then that may have helped them think again.

Not great but good enough to build on. There’s hope for him yet.
He could be a great outside player for you, feeding I50. His foot passing and awareness is elite. We wanted him to be something he could no longer be. He does work hard! But the sideways movement required for a good tackler, he no longer has, so he won't be getting big numbers there. Banging it into Buddy etc millimetre perfect is what he can do.

Sorry yes in the end after he went off we were awarded the free and that is how it resumed. I was blowing up at the time as I thought they were about to ball it up as though it was an ok tackle. I'm just curious if they had a sneak look at the replay and changed the decision of if I just missed the call at the time.
Yes, it was a ball up, and was changed when they watched the replay on the big screen when he went off due to the blood rule. Of course, just my opinion and from the perspective of the other side of the ground...

You can thank Rampe for blood rule call. He came over and pointed it out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He could be a great outside player for you, feeding I50. His foot passing and awareness is elite. We wanted him to be something he could no longer be. He does work hard! But the sideways movement required for a good tackler, he no longer has, so he won't be getting big numbers there. Banging it into Buddy etc millimetre perfect is what he can do.

Menzel is irrelevant to the swans and is only taking up opportunities from younger players who could use the experience. That he was included ahead of rose was a disgraceful decision and one of the reasons I am happy for horse to go to north.

Hi all,
how did Menzel go?

Longmire in the post-match was saying he'd been worried about Menzel's (and Buddy's) lack of fitness base, having done no pre-season and with Sydney three players down. He seemed to get through OK. Didn't get a lot of the ball but certainly has some smarts and a good field kick.

Menzel is irrelevant to the swans and is only taking up opportunities from younger players who could use the experience. That he was included ahead of rose was a disgraceful decision and one of the reasons I am happy for horse to go to north.

Rose isn't one of the younger players. At 23 he's slightly older than average.

If Menzel is keeping Rose out of the team, he did a terrible job of it yesterday.

What have I been saying since the very beginning of this season... our youngsters just haven't been able to co-ordinate their performances. I've enjoyed this year because I knew at some point down the road, their form would synchronise, and tonight was the first glimpse at what it looks like when they're all on-song.

When we have Dawson and Heeney both flying for marks around the ground with confidence. When we have Florent (who is still incredibly slept on by this board) hitting contests and loose balls with pace. When we have Blakey kicking inside 50 to actual forward targets (as opposed to Blakey himself struggling as a target.) When we have Hewett having the confidence to win his own ball and burn a leader like Parker if he was in a better position. When we have Aliir being a right ol' pain in the arse for opposition sides. When we have Papley who looks like he'll lead to a scoring opportunity every time he's near it, even at half back. When we have Mills actually playing with a bit of flair as opposed to just shutting down blokes and just being OK at it.

And not only were they all on-song, but they were consistent. The effort never wavered across the four quarters and the application was finally there for four quarters. For the first time this year. I know it's West Coast, and they're sort of our bitches, especially at the SCG, but this should be considered a milestone win for this group because of that reason. It won't always look like this, in fact the bye might actually screw around with some players' form and such, but at least tonight validated the direction of this club. We put it all together in one match for four quarters now, next step, do it again, and again, and again.

Florent is slept on !?? LOL He's one of the most over rated players in Swans history !
He's reached average in the AFL with games like this - which is over his level the last 12 months.
Can we wait till he actually goes past average for a few games before we hang a brownlow on his neck?

Agreed, he does work hard. Comes across as a smart player, I liked his delivery into our front half, god knows we can can do with more accurate entries.

Had a hand in at least 2 goals yesterday and I thought allowed Florent a bit more freedom.

Longmire in the post-match was saying he'd been worried about Menzel's (and Buddy's) lack of fitness base, having done no pre-season and with Sydney three players down. He seemed to get through OK. Didn't get a lot of the ball but certainly has some smarts and a good field kick.

Rose isn't one of the younger players. At 23 he's slightly older than average.

If Menzel is keeping Rose out of the team, he did a terrible job of it yesterday.

Is Rose not younger than Menzel? Because that was my point.

Nor did I say Menzel was keeping Rose out of the side (how would i know?). I simply stated that I don't think Menzel being chosen for Rose is a good decision. This is based on my watching every reserves game. It is also an indicator of how far the culture in our club has fallen when you compare it to the Mitch Morton situation. Bringing people like Steve Johnson and Tom Harley to the club has aided in the deterioration of the swans culture, imo. How the latter lied about Gary Rohan to the media, a player wo had played his whole senior career with the swans and genuinely loved the club, was a disgrace.

Is Rose not younger than Menzel? Because that was my point.

Nor did I say Menzel was keeping Rose out of the side (how would i know?). I simply stated that I don't think Menzel being chosen for Rose is a good decision. This is based on my watching every reserves game. It is also an indicator of how far the culture in our club has fallen when you compare it to the Mitch Morton situation. Bringing people like Steve Johnson and Tom Harley to the club has aided in the deterioration of the swans culture, imo. How the latter lied about Gary Rohan to the media, a player wo had played his whole senior career with the swans and genuinely loved the club, was a disgrace.

I think Stevie J and Harley are different kettles of fish. I can only see the former as a positive and the latter, not so much.

The Rohan misinformation dates to his dropping for I think the at Brisbane game last year. There was confusion at the time and from memory Rohan travelled up as an emergency.

I think Harley just put some 'Irish' on the trade. I suspect Rohan is not the sharpest tool. Harley should have run the trade line past Rohan and not rely on him to accurately read the tea leaves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back