Autopsy Sydney defeat Thugden by 30pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Florent's knack for choosing not to do the simple, best thing and instead do something illogical and dumb was uncanny tonight.

Agree about McCartin as well. He just did not look settled from his very first involvement.
The frustrating part about florent, is that he can play footy. He does everything well except make the right decision/ bite off more than he can chew.

There was a play tonight where we subsequently scored a goal from...but it was beautiful. Started from hb with the lizard, slick hands and precise disposal up the ground in a magnificent chain...until it got to florent who butchered the kick

I felt their style of play, and Scott's comments in the presser that he instructed them to play with that edge was an admission that they're not a very good side and needed to snipe to remain in the contest.

I feel like the AFL should send a please explain to Scott for how he asked his team to play the game.

Players have a duty of care, and so do the coaches. If that's the type of crap he's asking his players to dish up it needs to be dealt with. Fair game if it's tough play within the spirit of the rules, but what they served up was unacceptable imo and Scott has to answer for it.
As Mourinho says, sometimes you have to be c**ts. Tbh I don't mind it to a certain extent. I don't think they crossed the line. And to be fair it kept them in the game for longer than their talent could. There was a point we were struggling to contain the heat and they had the game on a knifes edge.

As Mourinho says, sometimes you have to be c**ts. Tbh I don't mind it to a certain extent. I don't think they crossed the line. And to be fair it kept them in the game for longer than their talent could. There was a point we were struggling to contain the heat and they had the game on a knifes edge.
Yeah it was funnier rather than enraging.

Plenty of Essendon fans are proud of their teams performance. No wonder they can't make finals

Yeah even seen comments about cleaning up a few Saints next week. They’re just like the coach and it’ll only keep bringing more failure for all of us to enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess Horse can coach for another week.

I think we got outcoached and outworked and still beat those dogs.

Some good performances but jeez what was Florent doing all night? Lloyd as well. Wicks too. These three were guilty of taking their foot of the pedal last year when the opposition is seen as ‘beneath them’ and only showing up in games when it really counted.

Jordon is a massive upgrade on Stephens. Thank god. Roberts solid. Like his kicking. We carried Warner Jr. Good that he got some game time. I think he will be handy as he matures but OMG he am his brother need to improve the defensive side of their game.

Sign of a good team when you play lazy footy and still win by 4 goals.

Agreed. They also have to wear a bit of ridicule for it too though when it doesn't result in a win.

I think we got outcoached and outworked and still beat those dogs.

Some good performances but jeez what was Florent doing all night? Lloyd as well. Wicks too. These three were guilty of taking their foot of the pedal last year when the opposition is seen as ‘beneath them’ and only showing up in games when it really counted.

Jordon is a massive upgrade on Stephens. Thank god. Roberts solid. Like his kicking. We carried Warner Jr. Good that he got some game time. I think he will be handy as he matures but OMG he am his brother need to improve the defensive side of their game.

Sign of a good team when you play lazy footy and still win by 4 goals.
Agree on Lloyd and Florent. Harsh on Wicks though

Not sure I want taylor and co back in the side just yet.

The midfield isn't perfect but it is incredibly dangerous. Heeney , chad and errol are the best midfield unit getting around and it's not close. Currently the the entire midfield has a great make-up and no two players play the same way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is up on afl.com.au now.. standard poker face horse presser with a slight smirk throughout as per usual post-win pressers.
Maybe I was not paying as much attention as you. He looked like he was trying to cover up his anger and frustration to me. He mentioned the edge early and didn’t seem to me that he switched gears to a positive mood when discussing Heeney, etc.

Edit: but yes agree the whole that he had his poker face. I was merely commenting on which cards he may have been trying to hide.

It is the turning the body and leading with the shoulder that will land him in hot water. Yes its split second stuff, but they want to discourage unnecessary contact to the head that is avoidable - in the age contact sports are going to be heading in to in regards to concussion, the AFL at some point will have to put their foot down on incidents like this.

Should get a month for mine, but we will see what happens with the MRO lottery.
I think it was more cowardice than thuggery. But at 2m tall and built like that, and coming up against Cunningham, he really should have been able to commit - and Cunningham should be able trust that he won’t turn and brace. It was a very selfish play and he deserves to be rubbed out for at least as long as Cunningham is out.

Not entirely sure what Essendon did that we didn't do against Collingwood last year?

It obviously backfired and seemed to fire us up more, so good for us, but we can't exactly pretend like we're above it.
Umm play within the rules of the game? Not sure you can compare a bit of bumping and shoving to lining blokes up from 15 metres away, swinging arms at heads in marking contests and other illegal acts.

McLean is such a smart footballer.

I watched the game with my missus and every time McLean would be involved in a link-up play, she'd say, "Omg he's too big and slow! He's gonna get caught!"

And every time, McLean just had the clean skills and spatial awareness to dish it off quickly, knowing that exact fact - that he is too big and slow to run and carry without getting run down.

He sees the game like a small but is very aware of his limitations given that he's a tall. It's a pretty effective combination of attributes.

mclean will never be "fast" but so much about his game has improved, and particularly his general game sense, that he seems like he does things faster
he has good hands and he gets into great positions as a support option, he's become a really important link ... but it's also his leadership, and this was noted during his great finish to last season ...
there's something of that old-style centre half forward about mclean, the big man up the field who'll take a strong mark, who'll kick an important goal, who'll rally his teammates and fly the flag

3 zip yay!

Weirdly felt like we were in control most of the night, with Essendon just trying to keep up. Grundy pantsed early by Draper but the ease of bringing back their 3 goal lead to be in front at Q1 was settling.

I don't think I've seen a team look as good moving the ball by foot and with speed. End to end chains zig-zagging up the field often with Errol or Lizard making some laser pass to split things open. Sublime. Be nice to finish more of them with accurate set shots though arsey boundary line goals and back-heels are fun too.

Bombers 'edge' was no match for Swans workrate. When ball is moving we'd invariably see a Swan start with, then separate from, their opponent to get to the ball first. I hear Paps said something at half time to that effect - confident they would work harder for longer.

35k crowd right into it all night. Great to see Hayden Mc leading the March 2 Match, will get votes from David King for that. Real anger at the Cunningham hit carried into pantomime boos of 2M Pete and boundary umps. Disappointed the Bombers fan next to us didn't remember McPhee kicking the ball from out of bounds back in 2011.

Q: Anyone know what the "31" sign the swans use at the end of quarters means? Brett Kirk Zen mode?

Great win. Bring on the Tigers next week at MCG.

Maybe I was not paying as much attention as you. He looked like he was trying to cover up his anger and frustration to me. He mentioned the edge early and didn’t seem to me that he switched gears to a positive mood when discussing Heeney, etc.

Edit: but yes agree the whole that he had his poker face. I was merely commenting on which cards he may have been trying to hide.
I had commented a few days ago that Horse was a lot more light hearted in his last few pressers. Smiling and a bit of banter with the journos. A lot less so last night, with good reason. Agree, seemed he was rightly pissed at the Bombers.

Heeney just doing his thing again. Gulden consistent and that left boot OMG! Warner despite a poor start did not continue working. Same could be said about Grundy. Liked McLean’s game last night too. Melican and Rampe the generals down back. McCartin and Lloyd I thought had pretty ordinary games.

Essendon supporters are deadset taking over from Collingwood supporters as the biggest *******s in the game. Trying to justify the thuggish actions and making it sound like the AFL are picking on them if Wright gets suspended. Then the rest of the leagues supporters bitching that Papley calls the Essendon bullshit out when they usually complain there is not enough personality in the game.

3 zip yay!

Weirdly felt like we were in control most of the night, with Essendon just trying to keep up. Grundy pantsed early by Draper but the ease of bringing back their 3 goal lead to be in front at Q1 was settling.

I don't think I've seen a team look as good moving the ball by foot and with speed. End to end chains zig-zagging up the field often with Errol or Lizard making some laser pass to split things open. Sublime. Be nice to finish more of them with accurate set shots though arsey boundary line goals and back-heels are fun too.

Bombers 'edge' was no match for Swans workrate. When ball is moving we'd invariably see a Swan start with, then separate from, their opponent to get to the ball first. I hear Paps said something at half time to that effect - confident they would work harder for longer.

35k crowd right into it all night. Great to see Hayden Mc leading the March 2 Match, will get votes from David King for that. Real anger at the Cunningham hit carried into pantomime boos of 2M Pete and boundary umps. Disappointed the Bombers fan next to us didn't remember McPhee kicking the ball from out of bounds back in 2011.

Q: Anyone know what the "31" sign the swans use at the end of quarters means? Brett Kirk Zen mode?

Great win. Bring on the Tigers next week at MCG.
I've sat near the bench in previous seasons and never seen the 31 sign, or maybe didn't noticed. Might be new this season? Think I can recall 1 and 2 minute signs and maybe a 30 sign, as in seconds?

I've sat near the bench in previous seasons and never seen the 31 sign, or maybe didn't noticed. Might be new this season? Think I can recall 1 and 2 minute signs and maybe a 30 sign, as in seconds?
Definitely "31", black background, white numbers. The 2m 1m and 30s signs are red on white. There was also a "+1" sign and a version that has both "31" and "+1"

The way Essendon played is really a compliment to the thought that we are a good team.

It’s a tactic used by teams that have that mental thought they aren’t in the same league as the opposition so they try to unsettle the opponent.

It worked well against the Hawks targeting Sicily who responded as expected giving away frees and putting in a shocker.

No issue with the tactic but when you give that one message it get interpreted differently by very different personalities. The same message to say McGrath as opposed to Draper one gets it and the other thinks you beauty.

Credit to them it somewhat worked and save some very good clutch goals from the boundary could have got more difficult to pull back.

Sign of a great team is being able to withstand and respond. We did but early we fell into the trap of silly free kicks against in retaliation.

A sign of a poor team is going the niggle and forgetting about the game. However I think it’s really a good sign for the Bombers to ever break through the mediocrity they have to go through a bit of hardening up even if it derails things a bit sometimes.

The Lions in their heyday could do the niggle and back it up with amazing football. Something that I hope the Swans could do if required as we hit that peak. It’s difficult because you can get sidetracked if the message isn’t crystal clear.

Very proud of the way they went about it and how it galvanised the team who seem very invested in each other.

No issue with the Essendon tactic was fascinating to watch that type of match unfold. We need to be tested to improve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back