Sydney Swans pushing AFL for a 3 Grand Final series : Caroline Wilson 5aa

Remove this Banner Ad

2016. No way the umpiring fraternity would have got away with two or three matches umpiring two teams to different sets of rules. As it is, it took 6 months before the football world finally called it out.

You know sydney had more games at the MCG than bulldogs that year?

What was the head to head for the year? (edit bulldogs beat sydney twice, once at MCG, once at SCG. Sydney had more games at both venues in 2016. Bulldogs also won 2 finals away and one against agaisnt a MCG tenant. Its entire finals was 'away')

Last edited:

The massive home state advantage every second week that gets so many B-grade non-Victorian teams in grand finals and granted Freo 8 wins this season.
You guys always forget that with the home advantage comes the away disadvantage.

But doesnt fit the narrative eh?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

You guys always forget that with the home advantage comes the away disadvantage.

But doesnt fit the narrative eh?

Quite the contrary. Interstate supporters bleat about the grand finals constantly without accepting that there is an advantage to their teams in getting there in the first place. Results in average teams making the grand final and being beaten by teams who are superior to them once they get there. Sydney is a good example of that (Adelaide is not. They should've won convincingly but as Josh Jenkins said, they shat themselves)

Quite the contrary. Interstate supporters bleat about the grand finals constantly without accepting that there is an advantage to their teams in getting there in the first place. Results in average teams making the grand final and being beaten by teams who are superior to them once they get there. Sydney is a good example of that (Adelaide is not. They should've won convincingly but as Josh Jenkins said, they shat themselves)

So nothing in reply to what I stated.

You guys really ignore that eh?

The home ground advantage is negated by the away ground disadvantage.

The
I think it's a great idea. Clearly they'd also have to make the H&A games best of 3 to negate the advantage the non-Victorian teams get over the Victorian teams during the season. If they're levelling the playing field, they'd level it for everyone. That should make for a 80+ round season. Awesome idea.

You mean how interstate sides play like 16-17 games at the one ground.... oh no thats richmond

Jesus you serious?

that 2017 premiership side rode in because they can only win at one ground and pinched a flag

The absurdity of having the kardinia Park dimensions in the mcg. Which wing would have the 25m empty grass?
I gotta say I wouldn't be a huge fan of making it egg shaped like Spotless either. Manuka is a bit wider than the MCG as well and presumably not the only ground bigger. How would that work?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

regulating ground dimensions is a dumb idea. It puts the fans out of the spectacle. Didn't anyone see the soccer game at the SCG. Was watching it on TV and it looked like the fans were at least 20 metres away from the action with some being probably 30-40 metres away when even on the fence.

3 Game GF series is also dumb. Again it loses the spectacle but i guess the AFL doesn't care. It would give them more money and also allow for more actual fans to see the game when the corporate people only turn up to 1 game of the 3.

Imagine how it would feel winning the 1st game and then you still have 2 games to go. What happens if one team wins the first 2 games?. Does the last game get played.

The AFLPA will have a problem with this making the Players holiday period shorter.

Seriously folks, there are inequities in the H&A which give some teams an advantage such as home ground during the finals.

If any best of 2 or best of 3 were to be implemented, it should be in the first week of the finals, after that you could say the week off or home ground would be legitimate.

It would be a but absurd in the lat series for example, Richmond v Hawthorn, Hawthorn V Melbourne and then Richmond v Collingwood were all played best of 2 or 3

I think the AFL could quell the agitating by interstate clubs if it could even pretend to be giving fair and reasonable access to the ground where the comp is decided.

As an example we have 1 x scheduled game at the G next year. Compare that to roughly 14 or 15 for Richmond and Collingwood.

Each and every one of the 18 clubs should have a guaranteed 3 game minimum at the G.

If this was implemented I suspect the issue would go away

I think the AFL could quell the agitating by interstate clubs if it could even pretend to be giving fair and reasonable access to the ground where the comp is decided.

As an example we have 1 x scheduled game at the G next year. Compare that to roughly 14 or 15 for Richmond and Collingwood.

Each and every one of the 18 clubs should have a guaranteed 3 game minimum at the G.

One is harsh, but it happened to us in 2016 and 2017. I did think the fluff with announcement of the new MCG contract would mean a minimum of two.

The thing is that Richmond & Collingwood have 11 Home games there + away games against big Vic teams there so its inevitable that they have at least 14 MCG games there.

The thing is that Richmond & Collingwood have 11 Home games there + away games against big Vic teams there so its inevitable that they have at least 14 MCG games there.
Yeah and look, that's fair enough. The argument is not to reduce your games there - it's to increase the interstate sides exposure.

Hawks are a good example of a team that should be hosting more games at G for interstate sides - what happens in reality is that more often than not, those games are shunted to Tassie.

Or in our case next year an away game v Melb is up in Darwin, last season it was Alice Springs.

Now I know you're going to come back with $$$ arguments, but what cost to the integrity of the competition?

Grand final day is like one of Australias most celebrated day, regardless of who you support. You get that BBQ happening with your family, sit close to the TV and cheer on a team cuz you hate the other team, have bets on players and team, call mates during half time and debate, ask the missus to get you a beer.

It would ruin the classic iconic day it is. I support the idea behind but nah Grand final day is much more than just two teams playing, it's a day that unites the country, it brings supporters across the country together at the greatest stage of all MCG.

Making it 3 series would ruin this feeling.
Or x it by 3?

Yeah and look, that's fair enough. The argument is not to reduce your games there - it's to increase the interstate sides exposure.

Hawks are a good example of a team that should be hosting more games at G for interstate sides - what happens in reality is that more often than not, those games are shunted to Tassie.

Or in our case next year an away game v Melb is up in Darwin, last season it was Alice Springs.

Now I know you're going to come back with $$$ arguments, but what cost to the integrity of the competition?
Exactly. The only reason we are in Tassie is because we get the $$$ for it.
But one region is where the AFL could help out is having us play a Home game at the G against an interstate side instead of it being hosted at Marvel.

We do play Carlton in Tassie which reduces the amount of Interstate teams we play there.

Our fixture looks like this

6 Home MCG games (9 in Total)
4 Tassie Games
1 Home Marvel game
5 Away games Interstate
6 Away games in Melbourne (3 Marvel, 3 MCG)

Its a tough juggle to have all teams play at least 3 games at the 'G.
2 games is very achievable however.

Best of 3 should happen imo. First and 3rd at the G not to upset the viccos. But you will get the better team being premiers with a best of 3 system. That's why I would support it.

I think it's a great idea. Clearly they'd also have to make the H&A games best of 3 to negate the advantage the non-Victorian teams get over the Victorian teams during the season. If they're levelling the playing field, they'd level it for everyone. That should make for a 80+ round season. Awesome idea.

I like it on paper but the teams would have half benches if there was a game 3,guess it would make it more interesting.

I would like a best of 3 prelim in case of gastro.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back