Sydney Swans will play all home matches at the SCG from *2016* onwards

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the AFL should just ban ANZ for being undersized.
How is it undersized? It's just a long, narrow ground.
There are three comparable grounds in the AFL: Adelaide Oval, Simonds Stadium and Subiaco.
Using Wikipedia:
ANZ - 170 x 128
Subiaco - 175 x 122
AO - 167 x 124
Simonds Stadium - 170 x 115
[SCG - 171 x 146]
24pfi50.jpg

How is it undersized? It's just a long, narrow ground.
There are three comparable grounds in the AFL: Adelaide Oval, Simonds Stadium and Subiaco.
Using Wikipedia:
ANZ - 170 x 128
Subiaco - 175 x 122
AO - 167 x 124
Simonds Stadium - 170 x 115
[SCG - 171 x 146]
Yeah ditch Wikipedia as a source - those sizes are wrong for ANZ and SCG.

ANZ is 160x118 and has the smallest ground area of any AFL ground in the country.

Last edited:

Crap surface, crap spectator experience, crap location, and crappiest little ground in the country. Give it the chop.
It's funny actually, they gave Waverley and Football Park the chop despite them both have the best surfaces in the country at the time the finished using them but keep ANZ Stadium even the NRL players whinge about it, and if you want to hear some really stinging remarks look at what the soccer players have had to say about it.

It's funny actually, they gave Waverley and Football Park the chop despite them both have the best surfaces in the country at the time the finished using them but keep ANZ Stadium even the NRL players whinge about it, and if you want to hear some really stinging remarks look at what the soccer players have had to say about it.

I'm sure the soccer players will be fine, not as if they touch each other anyway. The ground is a fiasco, the location is doubly worse...and the facilities are the single worst in Sydney...and I always have a hangover as the serve mid strength rubbish so I have to bring in a flask lol!

I watched the Sydney FC vs Tottenham game which followed a mid week State of Origin... ball bobbling all over the place. There should be a betting market for which player can take the biggest divot..

I'm sure the soccer players will be fine, not as if they touch each other anyway. The ground is a fiasco, the location is doubly worse...and the facilities are the single worst in Sydney...and I always have a hangover as the serve mid strength rubbish so I have to bring in a flask lol!
It's not just about the tackling and planting in a divot, it is because the ball bounces off in strange directions. A round ball is pretty predictable in the way it will bounce, put it on that surface and it start to behave like and oval shaped ball. Terrible for international matches, what makes it worse is FFA complain about other countries venue and use that and Suncorp both of which aren't suitable for anything except rugby.

It's not just about the tackling and planting in a divot, it is because the ball bounces off in strange directions. A round ball is pretty predictable in the way it will bounce, put it on that surface and it start to behave like and oval shaped ball. Terrible for international matches, what makes it worse is FFA complain about other countries venue and use that and Suncorp both of which aren't suitable for anything except rugby.

Suncorp surely isn't too bad, actually is a beautiful stadium to attend. I don't really watch much soccer, the sport flat out annoys me unless it is the EPL. It is on at weird hours though lol.

Suncorp surely isn't too bad, actually is a beautiful stadium to attend. I don't really watch much soccer, the sport flat out annoys me unless it is the EPL. It is on at weird hours though lol.
Surface ever since the floods has been the worst of any major sporting ground in the country, which includes ANZ. Admittedly I do hold more faith in them getting it right than ANZ.

Surface ever since the floods has been the worst of any major sporting ground in the country, which includes ANZ. Admittedly I do hold more faith in them getting it right than ANZ.

Haven't really noticed it being that bad. Thought it was very good for the Origin, but maybe that was me having 15 beers that night lol

Haven't really noticed it being that bad. Thought it was very good for the Origin, but maybe that was me having 15 beers that night lol
League probably hides the problems a bit better, with soccer an uneven surface sticks out like a ranga in an Asian market.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Full strength beer is available at the swans members bar at ANZ stadium :D...the only positive about anz stadium though:drunk:

ANZ's biggest problem is the bitching that accompanies it and the unwillingness of "fans" to even consider the perilous journey of travelling that extra 25 minutes.

what a deplorable yawn-fest. it's as though only losing one final there since 2003 is a bad thing. the SCG is the spiritual home but if people had bothered to turn up and embrace the notion then we wouldn't be experiencing this hot air.

Sorry if this question has been answered in other threads (can't find a thread for it though)
Would GWS play a home final at ANZ (or SCG)? Isn't there a policy that doesn't allow finals to be played in sub30k capacity grounds?

AFL and Finals policy?

There more what you'd call "guidelines" then actual policy.

Sorry if this question has been answered in other threads (can't find a thread for it though)
Would GWS play a home final at ANZ (or SCG)? Isn't there a policy that doesn't allow finals to be played in sub30k capacity grounds?

Would have thought it's pointless playing it away from Spotless until they can demonstrate a need for more seats. If they finished 6th this year then the AFL would be mad to play it at ANZ.

ANZ's biggest problem is the bitching that accompanies it and the unwillingness of "fans" to even consider the perilous journey of travelling that extra 25 minutes.

what a deplorable yawn-fest. it's as though only losing one final there since 2003 is a bad thing. the SCG is the spiritual home but if people had bothered to turn up and embrace the notion then we wouldn't be experiencing this hot air.
Yep, everyone makes out that it's so far out of town.

It's east of the demographic centre of Sydney, which is in fact west of Parramatta.

But all those millions of Westies don't figure, apparently.

You're stretching the definition of stadium by applying it to this:

blacktown_oval.jpg
its typicle Sydney, build another stadium with the unch it might be used at some stage! wish the Victorian government had spent some money and kept the old AFL old venues in better shape!

they used the black town oval during the ING cup for the state cricket! the oval is massive & many players struggled to hit the ball over the rope

Remove this Banner Ad

Back