Preview Sydney v Essendon SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Essendon dominated in centre clearances last week. We went down 17-9 against the pies on Friday, so I'd say thats our biggest weakness at the moment. Feels like Merrett always wins it out of the middle every time we play them. We probably can trust our back 6 to defend them well, but we can't make our inability to win the CBs a habit.

Dons also struggled defending transition last week, so if we bring our slick ball movement into the game we should have them covered. Danger game for sure. Langford and Stringer do love to have a good game against us.

If the Bombers have a shorter backline, do we:

a. Try to exploit that by sticking with our three-tall structure but perhaps be exposed if it is wet and the ball hits the ground

OR

b. Give Amartey a rest and play Wicks as a full game

Personally, I think we stick to our three-talls but I'm definitely open to ideas.

This is the type of game in years gone by we would somehow manage to drop. Having said that the team this year feels special. Recon we do it by 20+.

This is the type of game in years gone by we would somehow manage to drop. Having said that the team this year feels special. Recon we do it by 20+.
Should be a goal a quarter better than them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or worse, made to absorb Norf.
Can we throw in Freo, Gold Coast, GWS, St Kilda, Bulldogs and the new Tasmanian team with them? They can form one giant super-team. (They would still be so irrelevant that their best outcome would be regular 9th place finishes.)

Can we throw in Freo, Gold Coast, GWS, St Kilda, Bulldogs and the new Tasmanian team with them? They can form one giant super-team. (They would still be so irrelevant that their best outcome would be regular 9th place finishes.)
Yes toss in Saints and Dogs. But not the others… 16 team comp … wonder if the Donnies would make and win a final.

Off Topic.
But Tasmania will be a legit

I feel like this maybe misses the point of the three talls though.

We seem to all think that McLean & McDonald are good enough, but that's while they have been in a three-talls structure. If you take the third away - even if he's doing nada - are they as potent? Do they get worked over by opposition defenders too easily? Can one of them down there alone contest an incoming ball enough to bring it to ground? Do their leading patterns get predictable?

Etc.

Might end up a case of not knowing what we've got and that it's working until we change it.

i'm happy to stick with what's working ... wicks as a sub for a tall late has been pretty effective, although wicks also probably deserves a start too

The thing is.
The whole structure of the swans has changed this season.
Where in the past they fanned off Half back. They now wedge.
It's been a deliberate ploy to incorporate Elite kicking to defeat these zone defenses that teams like Melbourne and Collingwood employ.
Players like Roberts are worth their weight in gold cause they offer a hard nut contest. Plus an ability to scythe a pass over a defensive set-up.

Lloyds most successful seasons were as a reliable link up hard running dependable HB.
He's been moved on from that. To a quasi wingman who drifts around a bit fwd.

and can still be iffy with his kicks when he pulls up and second guesses himself
he gives away goals

That Lloyd one was a shocker, it was definitely the right play from Papley but Lloyd just stuffed it up. Anyone on an afl list should be able to finish that play, even if it was a defender lol.

yes! he took his eyes off it, i'm sure ... just for a split second, but enough

yes! he took his eyes off it, i'm sure ... just for a split second, but enough
He may have been in two minds how to play it. He had a team mate running into goal so was possibly thinking how to gain possession while staying on his feet (ie not lunging to mark it) so he could either pop it over the top or toe-poke it.

And he did get an awkward bounce.

It was a stuff up, but no more so than Hayward spoiling McDonald or Campbell spoiling McCartin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back