'Tambling to stay in defence' - Milburn

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't have a problem with this. I think it's the right position for him and if he actually got to play a few games there and settle into the position, he'd be an asset. Hell, I thought he'd started becoming an asset during the St Kilda game, but we all know what happened afterwards.

A terrible kick for someone touted as the 2nd best talent in his draft pool. Will need to improve his disposal significantly.

Id prefer him playing on the HFF/ wing, defensively hes not great. His best asset is attacking I thought. Kicking is good its decision making he needs to work on.

I reckon Tambo was the one to suffer the most under the former regime.

He had a good game against the Hawks in round one, but still looked like he was finding his feet. His best game was the win against the Saints, in a brutal game (by our standards in last two years). He gets reported and then is told to go back into his shell. This does not work for him and he suffers, including his form at Sturt.

The handling of Tambo after the Saints game was strike one for me against Craigy.

I really think we will see a big change in Tambo this year, at least I hope so.

Is Bling really the second or third highest paid player? That makes wasting him in the magoos this year even more astounding. He was hung out to dry after the St Kilda win, and then left to languish at Sturt because he hadn't learned "how we do things around here." Ok, I'm getting over it, but what I can't cop is this mentality that just because you're not getting touches playing with s**t-kickers in the SANFL, it makes any iota of difference what you can do at the top level.

That's an interesting statement. Is he our most important player, or is it that we need him to be our most important player so his contract doesn't stand out like a dog's donger?

Do his performances suggest he's anywhere near our most important player?

Was he more important to us this year than Sam Jacobs?

There is no way he is our second or third highest paid player. He is rumoured to be on $1m over three years, which is $333,333.33 per year. Similar to Jacobs. This is about $50-60k above the AFL average wage. I would bet that Thommo, Tip, Johncock, Vince Porps, Knights would all be on this or higher. He would be in our top ten, just IMO. However bang for buck wise we have not got value at all, yet.

At least as important. Note that I say "important", and not "as highly performed", where Jacobs clearly stands well in front on 2011 form. But that's a different debate for a different topic.

As for Tambling, I'm not bothered where he plays, as long as he is settled into a position. I hope we're not putting him into defence, only to turn around after eight weeks and say "Oh wait, his poor kicking is costing us, let's move him somewhere else". Find him a spot, and stick with him.

Freddy - I don't think Tambling's desire to play AFL can be questioned. His attitude towards AFL (and in general) is always said to be impeccable.

His response when being dropped was ordinary... Either he lacks talent or he lacked desire.

Apart from Cook and Sellar, most blokes when in the SANFL stand out, even just a little bit....

There is no way he is our second or third highest paid player. He is rumoured to be on $1m over three years, which is $333,333.33 per year. Similar to Jacobs. This is about $50-60k above the AFL average wage. I would bet that Thommo, Tip, Johncock, Vince Porps, Knights would all be on this or higher. He would be in our top ten, just IMO. However bang for buck wise we have not got value at all, yet.
That's a lot of money for someone not in our best 22.

A crazy hypothetical but had we kept the money and the draft pick, we could have gone after Leon Davis this draft period. Heck we might have even not lost certain "homesick" players.

Really hope he can be in the rotation from HBF to HFF.

A full injury free PS will certainly help Bling.
Reckon he alomg with others like Tex and Tippett will really "spike" this year.

I don't think Sando is going to be as anal about reports as Craigy was. Wouldn't think there would be too many public humilations via TV analysis in the future.

My take on reports next year for AFC..
Sando...Go hard for the ball if something doesn't quite go right and you get sighted well you went hard for the ball and that is what we are about now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting both him and Porps right this year could be the x factor we need to push up the ladder.
Bling can break lines and hit targets.
Porps is pure class up front.
Exactly what we lacked last year.

I have no problem with Bling playing in defence, I think its were he plays his best footy. Is similar to Dangerfield in the way that he loves to win the ball, but then gets a bit lost when he has to be a bit creative when moving the ball forward. I think we have better options for that loose man role (eg. MacKay, Jaensch, Otten or Brown). We dont need him to be a star every week, but at 25 he needs to start playing consistent footy.

Strike 1 - 2005/2006

yes we were crap in those years thanks to the coach, without him we would have won back to back flags :thumbsu:

Tambling's attack on the footy is second to none (IMO) but his disposal is iffy especially under pressure. If he can't play with composure after 120 games I wonder whether he ever will.

More than any other player in the side, I would love to see Tambling spike next year and show why he was so highly touted as a junior.

He has been on the plate 118 times. 8 hits, 2 home runs and 108 strike outs. But this year will be different, he just hasn't been treated correctly:D

Not for the Adelaide Footy Club.

If you're going to use Richmond as the basis for judging him, why weren't you jumping up and down 12 months ago when we recruited him?

Tambling has the ability to play the role earmarked for him. Unfortunately for all concerned there is some type of impediment between his ears that's stopping him.

He has been on the plate 118 times. 8 hits, 2 home runs and 108 strike outs. But this year will be different, he just hasn't been treated correctly:D

So, you don't subscribe any part of his failure so far to be due to the facts that he's had 4 different senior coaches in 5 years, or went through the "The Richmond Academy of Player Development"? I'm waiting to see what he can do in a new environment with a consistent message, instead of the rabble that is Tigerland. I think last year may have been a continuation of Richmond's environment for him, instead of the fresh start.

What does Tambling need to do to get a strike?

Go bowling.

But Richard would be skating on thin ice I would imagine. If he has a poor year, his time as an AFL footballer maybe up at the end of this season. He'd be sitting on strike two now.

Strike one: Richmond days
Strike two: last year but would give him the benefit of the doubt he can turn it around and perform as Sanderson would like. 2010 was a complete write off.

Strike three: ???? Have a good year Richard or it may be see you latter with a solid draft pending for the 2013 season.

So, you don't subscribe any part of his failure so far to be due to the facts that he's had 4 different senior coaches in 5 years, or went through the "The Richmond Academy of Player Development"? I'm waiting to see what he can do in a new environment with a consistent message, instead of the rabble that is Tigerland. I think last year may have been a continuation of Richmond's environment for him, instead of the fresh start.

I would love Tambling to have a break out year. But not many players, except for a few big blokes, have had break out years at his age.... The odd's are stacked against him...

Blame Richmond, blame Craigy, blame Wallace, blame injuries.... I too could of been a champion if I was a foot taller, a lot quicker, didn't party hard, was dedicated and had a better footy brain....:rolleyes:

Can't say I'm overly enthused with Tambling playing the so called "Davis" role for us, for one Davis has silky disposal skills, Tambling most certainly does not, Davis has 1st class decision making skills, Tambling most certainly does not, in fact any comparison between the two players is pure folly IMO!!!!

I sincerely hope Tambling proves me and others wrong but my feeling is by the end of the 2012 season most will come to the realisation that he will never come close to living up to the raps put on him early in his career. Thus far in his career to be perfectly honest his form and output has been in the main totally underwhelming. Certainly a good test for Millburn to turn this bloke's career around!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back