Draft Profile Tarryn Thomas [NGA for North Melbourne]

Remove this Banner Ad

If he gets bid on within the top-10, you're going to be struggling for points by the end and may end up taking a hit next year too.

This (and Collingwood who are in a similar situation) is one of the more interesting 'side stories' of the draft IMO, and both clubs would be hoping they haven't pissed opposition clubs off enough for them to make spoiler bids.
We get 20% discount - no matter how you look at it - TT is coming to us for a bargain price.

We get 20% discount - no matter how you look at it - TT is coming to us for a bargain price.

That's true for every FS/NGA pick though, so it's not like it's such a great deal for North. Blakey for example is likely to go earlier, so Sydney gets an even better deal (and for a guy who rejected North IIRC).

Not really the point I was trying to make though...more just the curiosity of clubs potentially going into debt for next year...I don't believe that's happened before.

That's true for every FS/NGA pick though, so it's not like it's such a great deal for North. Blakey for example is likely to go earlier, so Sydney gets an even better deal (and for a guy who rejected North IIRC).

Not really the point I was trying to make though...more just the curiosity of clubs potentially going into debt for next year...I don't believe that's happened before.
We have banked enough that it will be a non factor. Managed our points very well. Very happy with Thomas & Scott.

We have banked enough that it will be a non factor. Managed our points very well. Very happy with Thomas & Scott.

Depends where they get bid on. If they're half as good as North fans keep telling us, then the bids could easily be high enough to cause issues.

As I pointed out earlier though, this is also potentially an issue for Collingwood.

Depends where they get bid on. If they're half as good as North fans keep telling us, then the bids could easily be high enough to cause issues.

As I pointed out earlier though, this is also potentially an issue for Collingwood.
We have over 1,300 points just in picks in the 40’s. It’s more wishful thinking that we will face an issue. It’s basic maths.

North fans ain’t the only ones excited about this kid - to get him for a bunch of picks in the 40’s is a great result.

We have over 1,300 points just in picks in the 40’s. It’s more wishful thinking that we will face an issue. It’s basic maths.

North fans ain’t the only ones excited about this kid - to get him for a bunch of picks in the 40’s is a great result.

You've got 1677 points all up (or ~2098 points in picks after factoring in the 20%).

If TT is a top 10 pick as North fans keep telling us, that's ~1400 pts (1395 for pick 10)...703 remaining would be pick 27 for Scott (27 is exactly 703, and again, that pick is well within what you guys say he's worth). Those 2 picks would leave you with 0 pts left, and still needing to use a bunch of late picks to round out your list.

Anything higher than those picks and it gets interesting (which is the possibility I'm talking about).

Worse however, is what do you do if another club goes with a high pick for TT (especially)...The picks you have leave you in a position where you really can't NOT match almost any bid. What would your club do if, just for example, GC bid on him with pick 3, or pick 6?

It all depends on the order names get called at.

Everyone needs to remember that the residual picks will shift up as those multiple picks get wiped out. That’s more points.

We’ll pay for Blakey with at least 2 picks. That means, every team below our picks will have their picks move up a spot. I think the key will be who gets called first out of Scott and Kelly.

You've got 1677 points all up (or ~2098 points in picks after factoring in the 20%).

If TT is a top 10 pick as North fans keep telling us, that's ~1400 pts (1395 for pick 10)...703 remaining would be pick 27 for Scott (27 is exactly 703, and again, that pick is well within what you guys say he's worth). Those 2 picks would leave you with 0 pts left, and still needing to use a bunch of late picks to round out your list.

Anything higher than those picks and it gets interesting (which is the possibility I'm talking about).

Worse however, is what do you do if another club goes with a high pick for TT (especially)...The picks you have leave you in a position where you really can't NOT match almost any bid. What would your club do if, just for example, GC bid on him with pick 3, or pick 6?
Lol - “as north fans keeping telling us”

Again - it’s not only North fans rating Thomas as a top 10 pick.

You think we are worried about losing a 3rd round pick in 2019. We take Thomas with any bid - and still get a massive bargain.

Your’re trying your best to come up with an imaginary sencerio where it’s not a big win for North. It’s sad and funny at the same time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing is a big win until they actually perform.

Gloating this early rarely pays off. Luke McDonald was a “big win” at the time too
Blackey, Thomas & Quaynor - are all top end talent that will be drafted with much later picks.

A kid that should be drafted in the top 10 getting drafted for some picks in the 40's - it's a big win!!!

Blackey, Thomas & Quaynor - are all top end talent that will be drafted with much later picks.

A kid that should be drafted in the top 10 getting drafted for some picks in the 40's - it's a big win!!!

Yep plus you have the added bonus of all things being equal they will stick around long term. As coaches you also know their strengths and weaknesses more. Thomas whilst he wouldn't be tanking games for the Allies, had less of an incentive (like Blakely) to dominate. He's known for years where he's playing.

We'd match it of course.

If a bid occurred at #6 for example, we would go into an approx. 300 point deficit for the Scott bid if he was bid in and around #30, which would downgrade our 2019 second rounder to a 2019 third rounder.

Not the end of the world.

We'd match it of course.

If a bid occurred at #6 for example, we would go into an approx. 300 point deficit for the Scott bid if he was bid in and around #30, which would downgrade our 2019 second rounder to a 2019 third rounder.

Chicken Little is dominating this thread.

chicken-little-sky-is-falling-1a.jpg

Lol - “as north fans keeping telling us”

Again - it’s not only North fans rating Thomas as a top 10 pick.

You think we are worried about losing a 3rd round pick in 2019. We take Thomas with any bid - and still get a massive bargain.

Your’re trying your best to come up with an imaginary sencerio where it’s not a big win for North. It’s sad and funny at the same time.

No, I'm coming up with scenarios where a new and different thing happens...That being carry over points into next year. It just happens to be North who has players this is likely to happen with. (I've mentioned Collingwood multiple times as well as they're potentially in a similar situation).

a) Stop being so defensive.
b) Get over yourself about the 'massive bargain'...As mentioned, FS & NGA picks happen all the time for all clubs. This is hardly something special about/for North. You're probably not even getting the biggest bargain of this draft.

We'd match it of course.

Exactly...but as I've said multiple times, it will bring up a new thing with carry over points.

No, I'm coming up with scenarios where a new and different thing happens...That being carry over points into next year. It just happens to be North who has players this is likely to happen with. (I've mentioned Collingwood multiple times as well as they're potentially in a similar situation).

b) Get over yourself about the 'massive bargain'...As mentioned, FS & NGA picks happen all the time for all clubs. This is hardly something special about/for North. You're probably not even getting the biggest bargain of this draft.
Pick 8 for a bunch of picks in the 40!!

Yeah - no bargain here - just keep an eye on that falling sky.

Pick 8 for a bunch of picks in the 40!!

Yeah - no bargain here - just keep an eye on that falling sky.

That chip on your shoulder must really mess with your aim...You just keep missing the point...

How likely are you to be going into debt for next years draft?

That chip on your shoulder must really mess with your aim...You just keep missing the point...

How likely are you to be going into debt for next years draft?
Who cares. You’re missing the point.

We got pick 8 for a bunch of picks in the 40’s!! Yet you’re focusing on us missing out on a 4th round pick next year.

Big footy at its best......

Who cares. You’re missing the point.

We got pick 8 for a bunch of picks in the 40’s!! Yet you’re focusing on us missing out on a 4th round pick next year.

Big footy at its best......

and you're obsessing over me doing so, when that has been the only point I've been trying to talk about.

I can only wonder why North fans have such a reputation for being overly defensive....:think:

Isn’t TT the first NGA player drafted ever? Definitely the first to be selected in the Top 10.

It’s a good get for North either way you try to spin it - they’ve essentially brought in Polec for a few late picks if you look at the big picture (The first rounder they traded for Polec would’ve been used on Thomas anyway)

Isn’t TT the first NGA player drafted ever? Definitely the first to be selected in the Top 10.

It’s a good get for North either way you try to spin it - they’ve essentially brought in Polec for a few late picks if you look at the big picture (The first rounder they traded for Polec would’ve been used on Thomas anyway)
Bang!!! Someone gets it.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back