TAS Tassie... happening?

Remove this Banner Ad

Relocate North Melbourne, have them play 11 games in Tasmania, but at the same time promise them in the fixturing that they will get a minimum of 8 games in Melbourne. That way their fans will still have a team.

Except that they know that the AFL have form in that area (Fitzroy being promised a minimum of six games but as many as possible while getting less games in Melbourne than say GWS (if they were serious about their contracted commitments then it would be Gabba 11, Coast 1, NSW 1, WA 1, SA 1 leaving 7 in Melbourne)) so what value an AFL promise?

-

I've seen the stat that 91K Tasmanians are currently members of an AFL Club. Really? what sort of memberships are those? 1 game? 3 game? A hat and fridge magnet and the club newsletter posted to you once a month? How many of those will translate into a 11 game seated membership costing upwards of $600pa?

Of course they probably are 1 or 3 game memberships. But if you are a Hawks or North fan in Tassie why the hell would you fork out for a full membership when they only play a few games down there?
If there are suddenly 11 home games in your city and a local team you can get behind, I'm sure a huge amount of those current 3 game memberships would turn into full ones.

Also, we need to stop with the 'relocating North Melbourne' hogwash.
1. It seems to always be coming from fans of the big clubs who would scoff at the thought of their own club being moved. North fans aren't any less passionate than you are so it ends verging on being disrespectful.
2. Quickest way to make a Tassie team an instant failure is to give them an existing team with a history that isn't their own. No one is getting behind that that aren't already North supporters. You're probably losing supporters from all the disgruntled fans in Melbourne who won't follow the move.

Of course they probably are 1 or 3 game memberships. But if you are a Hawks or North fan in Tassie why the hell would you fork out for a full membership when they only play a few games down there?
If there are suddenly 11 home games in your city and a local team you can get behind, I'm sure a huge amount of those current 3 game memberships would turn into full ones.

1. It seems to always be coming from fans of the big clubs who would scoff at the thought of their own club being moved. North fans aren't any less passionate than you are so it ends verging on being disrespectful.
2. Quickest way to make a Tassie team an instant failure is to give them an existing team with a history that isn't their own. No one is getting behind that that aren't already North supporters. You're probably losing supporters from all the disgruntled fans in Melbourne who won't follow the move.
From what I've seen in Hobart a lot ofpeo0lewho aren't North fans go because they are footy fans and want to see the game at the highest level.

the big issue would be player retention and getting the players to move to Tasmania who arent local

It can't be harder than the Gold Coast... Tasmania is effectively so close and accessible to Melbourne it's somewhat 'Victorian' and I think recruits would be far more at home there than the GC

the big issue would be player retention and getting the players to move to Tasmania who arent local

Footballers playing for a Tasmanian AFL team would be among the most revered group of players in the country and it is a footy state, unlike north of the border. Nothing wrong with Tassie and very accessible to Vic and SA in particular. Would Vic parents prefer their drafted son to go to tassie or to Queensland, am thinking Tassie.

The player retention argument is a wank, they'll have priority access to local kids and there will always be some players who appreciate the lifestyle (Hobart is better than portrayed in this thread). They'll never be a destination club, but if the culture is good they'll do pretty well. However if the culture is s**t, they'll bleed players like the Suns.

When the AFL said they were adding another 2 teams. Tassie was the thirst to meet the required membership levels 10 000 at the time, going from memory. Tasmania was the first to gather the sponsorship deals, mainly mars confectionary was the main sponsor. Due to the determination of the AFL, and the arrogance and ego of Andy D, it was always going to be Gold Coast and GWS, that were going to be the teams added. Due to the bidding process it actually led to a senate inquiry, as to why Tasmania, that had ticked all the required boxes, were rejected over the other 2 teams.

So what if they ticked those boxes? That is a ridicously low bar for a captive market to clear, Ballarat and Bendigo probably could've achieved that. Those targets were for establishing growth market teams, making sure that lands were fertile before planting any seeds.

The hilarious thing about the ridiculous senate inquiry is that it wanted GWS aborted, yet they have proven to be far more successful off-field than the GC, and by 2026 could very easily be a bigger, and more financially viable club than Tassie could even dream of being.

let's get to 22 teams (TAS, NT, SA3, WA3) and 2 divisions of 11 teams, 20 round season, full H&A season

Don't you rage against conferences in the AFLW? How can you be against that, yet in favour of an idea as horrendous as this.

If base location becomes a contentious issue between north and south, then maybe base the men’s operations (AFL / VFL) in one town and the women’s operations (AFLW / VFLW) in the other.

That could never work. The club base would need to be in a single place. If the North seriously can't let that go then any bid would be dead on arrival.

The model for the team should be GWS in Canberra. Home base is Western Sydney, but Canberra is not really seen as 'secondary' the way that Tassie or the NT currently are by the teams that play home games there.

-

I'm not sure the 50,000 member figure is realistic. That equates to ~10% of the entire population. By way of comparison, WA has a population of 2.6m. The combined membership for the Eagles and Dockers is ~105K which equates to ~4% of the population.

I've seen the stat that 91K Tasmanians are currently members of an AFL Club. Really? what sort of memberships are those? 1 game? 3 game? A hat and fridge magnet and the club newsletter posted to you once a month? How many of those will translate into a 11 game seated membership costing upwards of $600pa?

The 50k figure is because they want two membership bases of 25k (the equivalent of 25k full season members). After all, Tassie will never have a 50k stadium.

If the maximum membership in one of those places is 5-6 games, it should a lot easier to get that commitment from people, even though it's a the higher percentage.

From what I've seen in Hobart a lot ofpeo0lewho aren't North fans go because they are footy fans and want to see the game at the highest level.

Absolutely correct there young Isaac.

Upon moving here to Sydney, I took out a Swans membership as it was the only way to see AFL games live here. I also took out a foundation membership for the Giants because I want to see the code grow up here.

If a large number of AFL fans in Tassie get behind the new venture it should be a success and over time, a loyal supporter base can be established and built upon from younger generations.

Also we are assuming that all Tasmanian AFL fans will drop whatever current AFL club they support and start supporting the new Tasmanian team.
A lot will, or have dual allegiance. I'll always support the Dees, but I'll be signing up straight away if Hobart gets a team. Bellerive is 3 min drive from my house. I'd be stupid not to connect with the local team.

Upon moving here to Sydney, I took out a Swans membership as it was the only way to see AFL games live here. I also took out a foundation membership for the Giants because I want to see the code grow up here.

I live in Melbourne, do you think that means I buy a membership for Collingwood or Hawthorn. * no they are filthy maggots. I buy a membership to my own team. You're not a Carlton supporter, you're an 'AFL' supporter, about as passionless as one can get.

A lot will, or have dual allegiance. I'll always support the Dees, but I'll be signing up straight away if Hobart gets a team. Bellerive is 3 min drive from my house. I'd be stupid not to connect with the local team.
It's what we see at Spotless, in a somewhat similar situation. We have more dual members than any other club, Sydney residents with an existing club support.

What seems to happen though is the next generation are becoming Giants. It's surprisingly common to see adults in opposition colours with kids in Giants colours. You'd probably see something similar. Project cuckoo we call it.

I live in Melbourne, do you think that means I buy a membership for Collingwood or Hawthorn. **** no they are filthy maggots. I buy a membership to my own team. You're not a Carlton supporter, you're an 'AFL' supporter, about as passionless as one can get.

Err …...… excuse me, I'm a Carlton member as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I live in Melbourne, do you think that means I buy a membership for Collingwood or Hawthorn. **** no they are filthy maggots. I buy a membership to my own team. You're not a Carlton supporter, you're an 'AFL' supporter, about as passionless as one can get.
Pffft

You get to see your team play quite a bit in Melbourne. Can you not see the difference?

Err …...… excuse me, I'm a Carlton member as well.

Exactly, you have memberships for 3 different clubs. As I said, you're an 'AFL' supporter. You probably care about things like NSW and QLD crowd numbers, TV ratings, grass roots growth of the game in rugby states. You should move to Melbourne and get a job as Gil's fluffer.

Exactly, you have memberships for 3 different clubs. As I said, you're an 'AFL' supporter. You probably care about things like NSW and QLD crowd numbers, TV ratings, grass roots growth of the game in rugby states. You should move to Melbourne and get a job as Gil's receptionist.

Birdbrain by name, birdbrain by nature too. :rolleyes:

For me it’s simple

Give tassie a side. Then either of Canberra, Darwin or joondalup.

20 sides. 10 games a week.

Can fixture 20 round season - 1 game against each side on rotation plus derby/showdown/q clash/beat up on the giants etc...OR 10-team conferences (which would allow 22 rounds still with 3 crossover games)

Lists at 50. Provides 1000 players on lists

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

For me it’s simple

Give tassie a side. Then either of Canberra, Darwin or joondalup.

20 sides. 10 games a week.

Can fixture 20 round season - 1 game against each side on rotation plus derby/showdown/q clash/beat up on the giants etc...OR 10-team conferences (which would allow 22 rounds still with 3 crossover games)

Lists at 50. Provides 1000 players on lists

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

1000 players out of how many able bodied fit men between the ages of 18-30?

Take out people with no interest in sport
Take out most in Queensland or NSW

Basically means you don't need much talent to get a spot in the afl

We don't have enough population to support a comp that large. It's bad enough already.

It's literally the most likely scenario outside of a new club being created...
Yeah... and it’s not going to happen. No way the AFL are getting rid of the GC (do some research, they’ve made huge amounts of progress of the field) and Tasmania would never embrace an old Vic club. So it’s either a new club or nothing, no alternative scenario.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back