The “Bloody hell I miss footy” thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So for the brains trust: I was looking at the ‘Naughty or Nice’ article on the Hawks website.

Wal Williams was suspended for 12 games by one incident. What did he do? It must have been bad to cop 12 weeks in the 1920’s!

Having not grown up with the folklore of the game - did anyone ever match Les Boyd’s efforts in the then NSWRL? Got suspended for 12 months for breaking a bloke’s jaw during a game. Came back for 3 games then got done for 18 months for eye gouging.

The umpire involved ........ The 1936 manual quotes a Mr R. H. Scott, a veteran of 21 years, as saying that "the qualifications necessary to make a successful umpire are: (1) to go out on the field looking the part; (2) common sense; (3) tact; and (4) judgement". Finally, "it is not desirable for the official in control to be constantly speaking to the players, thus he must be endowed with the gift of anticipation and common sense".

The umpire involved ........ The 1936 manual quotes a Mr R. H. Scott, a veteran of 21 years, as saying that "the qualifications necessary to make a successful umpire are: (1) to go out on the field looking the part; (2) common sense; (3) tact; and (4) judgement". Finally, "it is not desirable for the official in control to be constantly speaking to the players, thus he must be endowed with the gift of anticipation and common sense".
Loving the research! Looks like he only played 17 games and was suspended for 12.

It’s a comic book universe moving to the big screen, which is lathered in escapism and fantasy.

If you want some sort of deep meaning, non-linear art house flick, with strong social commentary and intense character growth you need to direct your expectations elsewhere.
I see exactly where you're coming from and agree. My point is that vapid, shallow & unimaginative superhero films dominating Hollywood may be a very good thing for Marvel (and DC if they ever get their s**t together) but not a good thing for the industry as a whole.

Of course you could always counter if you were determined to disagree -oh wait you aren't Gralin!- by arguing that anyone seeking more creative cinema should look to the small screen instead, unfortunately with every successive risk-free superhero success major studio execs have less incentive to change tack. Perhaps we should hope the McDonals-scoffing public eventually tires of the genre, I know I did by about Spiderman 2 or 3.

I see exactly where you're coming from and agree. My point is that vapid, shallow & unimaginative superhero films dominating Hollywood may be a very good thing for Marvel (and DC if they ever get their s**t together) but not a good thing for the industry as a whole.

Of course you could always counter if you were determined to disagree -oh wait you aren't Gralin!- by arguing that anyone seeking more creative cinema should look to the small screen instead, unfortunately with every successive risk-free superhero success major studio execs have less incentive to change tack. Perhaps we should hope the McDonals-scoffing public eventually tires of the genre, I know I did by about Spiderman 2 or 3.

If you tired of them by Spider-Man 3 (which was not part of the MCU - it was made by Sony) is it safe to say that you actually haven’t seen any of the recent MCU films?

Oh and if you think that movies like Guardians of the Galaxy and Doctor Strange are risk free then you need to look at how absurd they are on paper and yet they’ve been turned into commercial and critical successes.

Hollywood has run on big budget popcorn summer movies and sequels for a lot longer than MCU
I could keep going but I want maccas for some reason

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually the vapid, shallow & unimaginative movies are a good thing for the industry. Without them the "indie" films you want to see just wouldn't get made. People got to make a living (and I'm talking about the production staff not the stars) and when they know they can pay the bills, they can then do the stuff that excites them. Check out Not Quite Hollywood: The Wild, Untold Story of Ozploitation! for how the critics destroyed the funding (government) for the "popular" Australian B grade films to be directed to the arthouse projects they wanted to be made in the 80's resulting in the industry being gutted as the worker bees no longer had constant income. Tarantino is scathing of the critics in the documentary. Christina Ricci was asked why she appeared in blockbuster movies, her response was so that she did it for the paycheck so she could then make the movies she wanted in between those movies.

Razor Ray wouldn't agree, would he Dave?

Anyone see that Manchester by the Sea movie? Saw it with a bunch of mates and was a blathering mess afterwards. Struth. Had to kill the sadness with a few beers. That's what arty films do to you. Don't get that s**t with Marvel movies.

Captain America Civil War was a surprisingly good flick by the way. Avengers Two was a bunch of crap though. I was crying for different reasons after that.

Anyone see that Manchester by the Sea movie? Saw it with a bunch of mates and was a blathering mess afterwards. Struth. Had to kill the sadness with a few beers. That's what arty films do to you. Don't get that s**t with Marvel movies.

Captain America Civil War was a surprisingly good flick by the way. Avengers Two was a bunch of crap though. I was crying for different reasons after that.

I actually got a bit emotional towards the end of GotG 2 - dad issues and all that! I am easy to get in movies though - I let my cynicism usually take a back seat for two hours - anything with a happy/sad kind of ending will usually hit me where it hurts (think Good Will Hunting, Ghost Town - anything with a poignant song that accompanies a poignant ending really). Hell there are lines in The West Wing I have seen dozens of times and I know are coming but still leave me staggered aftewards.

I made the really stupid mistake of watching Big Fish (movie about a father who told tall tales dealing with his likely death due to terminal cancer) only weeks after my mum's diagnosis with terminal cancer. Took me a good 10-15 minutes to let that all out before leaving the cinema after the end of the film (which wasn't depressing - more happy/sad).

I actually got a bit emotional towards the end of GotG 2 - dad issues and all that! I am easy to get in movies though - I let my cynicism usually take a back seat for two hours - anything with a happy/sad kind of ending will usually hit me where it hurts (think Good Will Hunting, Ghost Town - anything with a poignant song that accompanies a poignant ending really). Hell there are lines in The West Wing I have seen dozens of times and I know are coming but still leave me staggered aftewards.

I made the really stupid mistake of watching Big Fish (movie about a father who told tall tales dealing with his likely death due to terminal cancer) only weeks after my mum's diagnosis with terminal cancer. Took me a good 10-15 minutes to let that all out before leaving the cinema after the end of the film (which wasn't depressing - more happy/sad).
Brilliant movie though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back