Opinion The #5 in waiting...

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, it's 'only' a number, but such a historical number still changes the level of expectation amongst supporters, rightly or otherwise.

For that reason, I like the idea of giving it to a player who has been at the club a while and started to show something, rather than giving the 5 to a kid straight from the draft.
Agree. Not a lure for an expensive dickhead free agent. That would desecrate it. It's like handing such a person the captaincy or something. >_< You come here because you believe in the club and where it's going, because you want success (and money...). Not because you'll get the captaincy and a club hero's number on your back. They wouldn't appreciate it anyway.

LANGFORD%20Kyle.png
He's even got a hint of the trollfaces about him

Y

yep, went from 4 to 13. No idea what the reason was, maybe personal thing.

Wanganeen had number 4 from the moment he stepped in the club which is when Long changed to 13. I have no idea why Wanganeen wanted or needed number 4, but once he stepped down from captaincy at Port he went to number 4 there as well.

Wanganeen had number 4 from the moment he stepped in the club which is when Long changed to 13. I have no idea why Wanganeen wanted or needed number 4, but once he stepped down from captaincy at Port he went to number 4 there as well.
Maybe 4 was only available to Wanganeen because Long gave it up, rather then it been Wanganeen requesting it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laverde would understand the importance of the number 5 a little more then Langford considering he was a massive dons fan growing up, but just give it to whoever puts their hand up for it the most

Leave that for the club to decide, risk vs. value. But I'm not having either of them (or any other free agent) in Hird's jumper if it's up to me.
Fair enough. I'm a big fan of growing a list through drafting but if they seriously think our window is opening I'd hope they try and steal one of the best free agents out there.

I'm not too fussed on numbers and the club doesn't seem to be either, they're always happy to give a high number to a newly drafted player which I don't mind. One thing I do hope though is that they save Fletchers 31 for his son in a couple years time.

Fair enough. I'm a big fan of growing a list through drafting but if they seriously think our window is opening I'd hope they try and steal one of the best free agents out there.

I'm not too fussed on numbers and the club doesn't seem to be either, they're always happy to give a high number to a newly drafted player which I don't mind. One thing I do hope though is that they save Fletchers 31 for his son in a couple years time.

I reckon they do care...

As mentioned I reckon the choices of 3 7 1 and 10 were properly thought out

I reckon they do care...

If I'm not mistaken I believe Zerrett started in the number 27 so I'd say he earned the higher number.
As for the rest of them they all just happened to be drafted at a time where there were a plethora of high numbers available and hey happened to be drafted as very highly rated players.

I reckon they do care...

I'd say nearly all of them are. There comes a point when there are some insignificant numbers that just get thrown at new draftees when there's no point of difference, but when players are given (or ask for) something specific there's usually a reason for it.

I like Langford in 30. A constant reminder when he is a premier player of the competition, that we got him for Patrick Ryder, who by then is retired and back in Geraldton taking annual trips to Bali so his wife can buy fake GUCCI handbags.

I wish we could ask someone at the club or maybe someone inside the walls if the numbers are of much concern internally, I'm genuinely interested.

I'm sure some players have favourite numbers, but others probably don't care.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back