Society/Culture The Abortion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just how many women have them for convenience though. Every woman I know who has had one did not do it on a whim.

These are not the same thing.

I know a few women who chose abortion due to reasons of convenience - age, financial circumstances, life ambitions, relationship status. None arrived at their decision "on a whim".

Is it? Where do you think that line is exactly? Zygote? Blastocyst? Embryo? Fetus? Newborn? Infant?

I've never seen any consensus on personhood. Certainly not from a scientific point of view.

I have no doubt that in a more enlightened future, should humans make it that far, abortion for convenience will be looked back on as a barbaric practice of a primitive society.

There's no point arguing this topic here. It's either yay or nay, left or right.

I have issues with my ex that feels like her child is her property even after birth, she's threatened to poison him pre birth and after. She treats him like property and that's how she deals with it in the courts constantly playing the victim; of course it's my son that's the real victim.

I have an issue with the feminist movement which has now taken over victimhood over equality, women are seen as victims but children are seen as collateral damage. The Mantra "it's the women's choice" mean that some feel entitled to the point were men and children are as seen as obstacles to equality, obstacles to a destination that doesn't exist. There's no real humanity in this argument more of a 21st century capitalist ideology. People also forget or an are ignorant to the fact that our society not long ago didn't name their children for quite a while because they weren't sure if they'd make it to their first birthday.

These are not the same thing.

I know a few women who chose abortion due to reasons of convenience - age, financial circumstances, life ambitions, relationship status. None arrived at their decision "on a whim".
Yup

The moment they invent a tech where a man can carry a baby to term for a woman ill accept restrictions to abortions.

There's no point arguing this topic here. It's either yay or nay, left or right.

I have issues with my ex that feels like her child is her property even after birth, she's threatened to poison him pre birth and after. She treats him like property and that's how she deals with it in the courts constantly playing the victim; of course it's my son that's the real victim.

I have an issue with the feminist movement which has now taken over victimhood over equality, women are seen as victims but children are seen as collateral damage. The Mantra "it's the women's choice" mean that some feel entitled to the point were men and children are as seen as obstacles to equality, obstacles to a destination that doesn't exist. There's no real humanity in this argument more of a 21st century capitalist ideology.

A rather irresponsible mate of mine got a girl he loved pregnant. She didn't want to have a child at that time. He did. She had an abortion. He had no say. Their relationship ended not long after that. A few years later, he got another girl pregnant. He didn't want it. Reckoned the relationship didn't have legs. She did. She had the child. He had no say. He's been putting his body to work the last 13 years paying child support. Apparently he doesn't get much choice what he does with his body.

There's a lot of bullshit sloganism that gets tossed around by both sides of the argument.

This view is so bound by present perspective, it simply has no relevance in the future to which I refer.
You don’t want to even contemplate the alternative to the religious right

I have no doubt that in a more enlightened future, should humans make it that far, abortion for convenience will be looked back on as a barbaric practice of a primitive society.
That would definitely be against the flow of history, in fact it would be a deadset reversal of almost the entirety of human history to date.

That doesn't mean it won't happen, but it would be a very unusual development.

A rather irresponsible mate of mine got a girl he loved pregnant. She didn't want to have a child at that time. He did. She had an abortion. He had no say. Their relationship ended not long after that. A few years later, he got another girl pregnant. He didn't want it. Reckoned the relationship didn't have legs. She did. She had the child. He had no say. He's been putting his body to work the last 13 years paying child support. Apparently he doesn't get much choice what he does with his body.

There's a lot of bullshit sloganism that gets tossed around by both sides of the argument.
Yeah well when they can pull the fertilised egg out of a chick and implant it in the male thats so desperate to keep it ill vote for that

till then - he does get a choice

1) keep it in your pants
2) oral
3) condoms
4) Dimethandrolone undecanoate (the male pill
5) ensure both of you are on the pill

they are the choices

if he doesnt avail himself of one of those choices he doesnt get to deprive her of her choices.

Yeah well when they can pull the fertilised egg out of a chick and implant it in the male thats so desperate to keep it ill vote for that

till then - he does get a choice

1) keep it in your pants
2) oral
3) condoms
5) ensure both of you are on the pill

they are the choices

if he doesnt avail himself of one of those choices he doesnt get to deprive her of her choices.

Well, no... You'd vote for that? What right do you or a government have to remove an egg from the individual?

Well, no... You'd vote for that? What right do you or a government have to remove an egg from the individual?
With consent of course. Jaysus what do you take me for - a repugnican

mate the moment the tech was available for a bloke to carry the kid to term the desire for anti abortion laws will disappear reeeal quick

AFAIK that's not available yet, and certainly wouldn't have been for the guy in this story. I'm all for giving men as wide a range of contraceptive options as possible.

Anyway, even with the best of will sometimes birth control fails and in those situations I think it's fair that the guy have as much say in what happens afterward as the girl. It's no use saying to just one of them "you should have kept it in your pants".

The ideal of "her body, her choice" is well and good, but I admit I'm not quite as big a fan of "his wallet, her choice".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFAIK that's not available yet, and certainly wouldn't have been for the guy in this story. I'm all for giving men as wide a range of contraceptive options as possible.

Anyway, even with the best of will sometimes birth control fails and in those situations I think it's fair that the guy have as much say in what happens afterward as the girl. It's no use saying to just one of them "you should have kept it in your pants".

The ideal of "her body, her choice" is well and good, but I admit I'm not quite as big a fan of "his wallet, her choice".
Wear a rubber Johnny then, you can't go in bareback and then complain about the consequences.

Rails against abortion because "pro-life", yet advocates for kids in cages, separated from parents, while being drugged and starved

Also turns a blind eye to gun violence and Sandy Hook

Conservatives: pro-life when you're a fetus, but once you're outta the womb, * you, you're on your own

Wear a rubber Johnny then, you can't go in bareback and then complain about the consequences.

Right, which is why I'd like there to be a wider range of contraceptive options for men. A male pill would be good, so would that gel I read about that stops the little swimmers from getting through the tube.

When the only available options are unattractive because they either reduce sexual pleasure for men (rubbers) or are surgical and not reliably reversible (vasectomy), that's just asking for trouble.

Legal protections for men when birth control fails, like if the condom rips or she secretly poked a hole in it, are also necessary.

I totally agree responsibility lies at the point of conception. I just don't see why the responsibility is any different for a male or female.
And yet you’ve got a solid gold example right in front of you, mate.

Given that the last couple of pages of a thread about Donald Trump have descended into another bloody abortion schittefight, I'd agree.
It’s fine, we can move them to the proper thread.

I totally agree responsibility lies at the point of conception. I just don't see why the responsibility is any different for a male or female.
You should try this line on pregnant women IMO.

i dont think a guy should be on the hook as hard as it is now for an unplanned.

but on the other hand he gets absolutely no say if she doesnt want to keep it.

its her body - her choice

Remove this Banner Ad

Back