Certified Legendary Thread The absolute brilliance that is the C9 commentary team. CC: Brad McNamara

Remove this Banner Ad

Ian Chappell when on the lunch break panel discussion on the best Ashes team ever commeted on Bradman
" watched some vision of Bradman when saving a match under pressure and his footwork was average under pressure " that comment left me wondering how after watching film from years ago when Australia was for a change having to save a game that he could say that ...I was flabberghasted .
Bradman could have been gently caressing one of Chappelli's bollocks and he would still have complained.

Bradman could have been gently caressing one of Chappelli's bollocks and he would still have complained.

Chappell doesn't like Bradman. Some run ins when he was captain and Bradman was ACB, and family history with V Richardson IIRC.

But then Chappelli seems to have had run ins with most people.

Yeah, it's useless taking stock of anything Chappelli says about Bradman. Insufferably biased against him.

Not that I think Bradman was a particularly pleasant guy from a lot of the stories I hear, but still. That's the one thing that has always sullied Chappelli; once he takes a set against someone, all objectivity is lost, forever.

I wonder if he and Botham will renew their acquaintances this summer?

He then went on to dice his brother Greg who they named as the number four batsman in the best Ashes team and Chappelli says " I remember my Grandfather saying to us even if you cant bat you should look good out there and Greg certainly did that "
Ian Chappell is or was a great cricketer and seems highly competitive which probably made him one of our best ever captains also ....and he is part of probably our best ever cricketing family untill Shaun and Mitch take over :rainbow:

Last edited:
Ian Healy becomes a bigger legend in his own mind every summer. Slater is the *ing pits...yabber yabber yabber do these guys ever STFU. To much yap to fill airtime it is so bad. I am another who mutes the tv to just watch the cricket.

Ian Healy becomes a bigger legend in his own mind every summer. Slater is the *ing pits...yabber yabber yabber do these guys ever STFU. To much yap to fill airtime it is so bad. I am another who mutes the tv to just watch the cricket.

Imagine Slats off his meds.

Bradman was pretty good, but he was no Doug Walters...

I really like Ish. Knowlegable & not OTT. Smart caller.

And if I turn on the TV and have a choice of Isha (let's be honest, she's not exactly got a 'radio' face) or a giggling, smug KP/Clarke/Slater/Healy, then it's a no-brainer.

She really is the complete package, as far as calling goes. Massive win for MMM having her on.

Chappell doesn't like Bradman. Some run ins when he was captain and Bradman was ACB, and family history with V Richardson IIRC.

But then Chappelli seems to have had run ins with most people.

Bradman was a campaigner who didn't want to pay him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's running through the CA website, so I imagine it would?
Thanks. I'll try again. It wasn't one of the options at 1:30.

Edit: yep there now. Thank you.

I can't stand the over the top shouting that happens every time Australia gets a wicket, it doesn't add anything to the moment at all, and in many cases it actually ruins it. Slater, Healy and Tubby to an extent have inherited this from James Brayshaw and it stinks. Greig and Lawry could get away with it on the occasions they got fired up because they could build up a moment correctly, these clowns can't.

I dunno, for me the nadir remains that time Slats and Warnie were going on about cherry pickers for about five minutes, during the middle of an over. The picker talk lasted the entire over, and in that over one delivery was actually called by the commentators - Warnie's immortal "ah full bunga and another boundary" being the extent of the non-picker talk. I think he worked in some talk about him demolishing pizzas too.

It was against the West Indies in Hobart. Even allowing for how s**t the contest was, it was beyond appalling.

The dirty pizza conversation

Honestly, when I'm watching I don't really think the commentary is that bad. It doesn't affect my viewing experience for the most part.

Maybe it's not great, but the hyperbole on here is always entertaining.

What they are, are amateurish and unprofessional. The commentators are way too familiar with their Jonny B's, Uzzies and the Big Show. It's alright to talk like that when you're at BBQ at Christmas. How many times can Pietersen say nick, nick, nick in a row. Warne with his pathetic 12th man Bill Lawry impression. We put up with these people because they were our heroes on the cricket field and we didn't hear all that much from them. Yes they affable good guys but geez these blokes need a bit of media training. Gone are the days of pros like Peter "Smooth" Booth, Richie Benaud and Clinton Grybus. Now we have Michael Slater, Michael Clarke (ugh) and Ian Healy.

I'm starting to warm to channel 9 again but i wish KP would just shut up from time to time. He's not on the radio he doesn't so he to talk when his co commentator isn't talking. Some silence isn't the worst thing in a cricket commentary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back