cambosis

Team Captain
Aug 21, 2009
vic
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
The strategy that the AFL continues to push with respect to umpires continually bemuses and confuses me. Their objective, stated openly to protect the fraternity of umpires from any and all criticism. But over the past few weeks, especially since the Johnson/Baker debacle, the AFL, including Adrian Anderson, Andrew Demetriou and Jeff Gieschen, do, in my opinion, AFL umpires at all levels a disservice.

In any organisation that relies on high performance for success (and who can doubt that poor umpiring is a blight on our game) failure to recognise poor performance and a willingness to protect those who exhibit poor performance can only ever lead to failure and I cant understand whilst the AFL continues to exhibit this type of behaviour.

I understand their intent, but as someone who has spent many years developing strong performance cultures in more than one organisation, i cannot see how their actions support their intent. If they are concerned that the umpires at lower levels are leaving because of abuse by players, parents, spectators then lock down on those spectators, parents and players.

I fail to see how ignoring failures at the highest level, or an unwillingness to admit to mistakes upon the football field by the umpires protects those at junior footy level. if anything it creates even greater frustration for those fans of the apparent "best" the umpiring fraternity can turn out, and this frustration is only enhanced when the Spin Masters at the AFL fail to acknowledge what ever one else in the football world has unanimous opinion about.

Watching JG on One Week at a Time brought a little bit of vomit to the back of my throat. The absolute pigheadedness to refuse that the AFL and the umpires had decided to play tough on certain infringements following the Baker incident was absolutely laughable. Every single commentator across all of the major tv and radio networks commented on it. In every single interview with a player or a coach during and after the weekend the question was asked and the answer was the same. Following the Lions/Blues game, everyone knew they would be on notice. Can the 300-400 odd players, coaches and commentators all be wrong. Can all of the supporters be wrong who saw it happening and discussed at the games, at the pubs and with their mates? Jeff Gieschen vs the couple of hundred thousand ??? Jeff, get your hand off it...

He blindly defended all of the excessive/poor umpiring over the course of the interview on OWAAT even when Luke Darcy gave the AFL an absolute opportunity to try and explain why they do things. there are any number of justifiable reasons why the AFL and the umpires might want to focus on a particular area in any one week, whether it because of an evolving interpretation, a lack of focus on a particular area, or mistakes exhibited by too many umpires over too long a period. Did JG give ground... of course he didnt. instead he stated that the AFL dont focus on any one area and that umpiring mistakes arent widespread and the umpires decisions have been consistent throughout the year. In my mind absolute bollocks.

He was quizzed about why the emergency umpire didnt respond to the johnson and baker jabs and as the vision showed an umpire running towards Johnson and Baker he made a comment that no umpire saw anything that happened. Absolute Spin. No acknowledgement that an umpire did see and should have done something, not even an acknowledgement that the emergency umpire SHOULD have seen something, especially in the vision that was showed.

I would have far more patience for umpires and their performance if i saw improvement or a willingness to improve, much in the same way i forgive Murphy or Shoenmakers for mistakes, because you can see they are always trying, or Buddy for his bumps because of his attempts to get it out of his game. If the AFL was to come out and state "We need to work on this, or We Will Focus on this" then everyone would have a better chance of reducing the umpires impact on a game.

By not admitting to mistakes, or acknowledging the need for improvement the AFL creates the impression that the Umpires are above the game and above reproach. Such an attitude wont lead to better umpiring and wont lead to more umpires. Look at the World Game... FIFA acknowledges mistakes by referees and players are able to talk, discuss and vent their opinion to the referee on the ground. Is their a dearth of referees for soccer games across the world? no. Are referee standards on the decline?? No. Do umpiring mistakes occur, yes, but the important thing is that there is always an acknowledgement of mistakes and a statement about how it wont be repeated.

Dont judge this as a smack against the umpires. Its not. Its a smack against an ill defined strategy to protect umpires in our game. The intent might be a true one, but the execution is poor. Great umpiring makes for a great game and i just hope the AFL figures it out before it is too late.

Re: The AFLs Umpire Strategy

This needs to be on the main board.

This needs to be on the Umpiring board.

This needs to be in the paper.

This needs to be read out on radio.

This needs to be the main discsussion on tv shows.

Sam Newman should treat this with respect.

....superb post.

The big bad empire will never admit it's at fault. Vlad has us by the short and curlies.

The strategy that the AFL continues to push with respect to umpires continually bemuses and confuses me. Their objective, stated openly to protect the fraternity of umpires from any and all criticism. But over the past few weeks, especially since the Johnson/Baker debacle, the AFL, including Adrian Anderson, Andrew Demetriou and Jeff Gieschen, do, in my opinion, AFL umpires at all levels a disservice.

In any organisation that relies on high performance for success (and who can doubt that poor umpiring is a blight on our game) failure to recognise poor performance and a willingness to protect those who exhibit poor performance can only ever lead to failure and I cant understand whilst the AFL continues to exhibit this type of behaviour.

I understand their intent, but as someone who has spent many years developing strong performance cultures in more than one organisation, i cannot see how their actions support their intent. If they are concerned that the umpires at lower levels are leaving because of abuse by players, parents, spectators then lock down on those spectators, parents and players.

I fail to see how ignoring failures at the highest level, or an unwillingness to admit to mistakes upon the football field by the umpires protects those at junior footy level. if anything it creates even greater frustration for those fans of the apparent "best" the umpiring fraternity can turn out, and this frustration is only enhanced when the Spin Masters at the AFL fail to acknowledge what ever one else in the football world has unanimous opinion about.

Watching JG on One Week at a Time brought a little bit of vomit to the back of my throat. The absolute pigheadedness to refuse that the AFL and the umpires had decided to play tough on certain infringements following the Baker incident was absolutely laughable. Every single commentator across all of the major tv and radio networks commented on it. In every single interview with a player or a coach during and after the weekend the question was asked and the answer was the same. Following the Lions/Blues game, everyone knew they would be on notice. Can the 300-400 odd players, coaches and commentators all be wrong. Can all of the supporters be wrong who saw it happening and discussed at the games, at the pubs and with their mates? Jeff Gieschen vs the couple of hundred thousand ??? Jeff, get your hand off it...

He blindly defended all of the excessive/poor umpiring over the course of the interview on OWAAT even when Luke Darcy gave the AFL an absolute opportunity to try and explain why they do things. there are any number of justifiable reasons why the AFL and the umpires might want to focus on a particular area in any one week, whether it because of an evolving interpretation, a lack of focus on a particular area, or mistakes exhibited by too many umpires over too long a period. Did JG give ground... of course he didnt. instead he stated that the AFL dont focus on any one area and that umpiring mistakes arent widespread and the umpires decisions have been consistent throughout the year. In my mind absolute bollocks.

He was quizzed about why the emergency umpire didnt respond to the johnson and baker jabs and as the vision showed an umpire running towards Johnson and Baker he made a comment that no umpire saw anything that happened. Absolute Spin. No acknowledgement that an umpire did see and should have done something, not even an acknowledgement that the emergency umpire SHOULD have seen something, especially in the vision that was showed.

I would have far more patience for umpires and their performance if i saw improvement or a willingness to improve, much in the same way i forgive Murphy or Shoenmakers for mistakes, because you can see they are always trying, or Buddy for his bumps because of his attempts to get it out of his game. If the AFL was to come out and state "We need to work on this, or We Will Focus on this" then everyone would have a better chance of reducing the umpires impact on a game.

By not admitting to mistakes, or acknowledging the need for improvement the AFL creates the impression that the Umpires are above the game and above reproach. Such an attitude wont lead to better umpiring and wont lead to more umpires. Look at the World Game... FIFA acknowledges mistakes by referees and players are able to talk, discuss and vent their opinion to the referee on the ground. Is their a dearth of referees for soccer games across the world? no. Are referee standards on the decline?? No. Do umpiring mistakes occur, yes, but the important thing is that there is always an acknowledgement of mistakes and a statement about how it wont be repeated.

Dont judge this as a smack against the umpires. Its not. Its a smack against an ill defined strategy to protect umpires in our game. The intent might be a true one, but the execution is poor. Great umpiring makes for a great game and i just hope the AFL figures it out before it is too late.

:thumbsu::thumbsu:
Fantastic post.

I have played 200 games of senior footy, watched thousands of AFL games, grown up loving the game... and have never been more despondent with the game and the direction it's heading.

The trivial nature of the way the rules are implemented, randomness in the manner in which frees are plucked from nowhere, with seemingly no room for common sense, has made the game nigh on unwatchable.

All fans want is an honest contest that isn't ruined by a pack of overbearing school teachers... pay the frees when a player is significantly impeded from the contest... no need to go searching for free kicks, they will present themselves and will be obvious.

This needs to be on the main board.

This needs to be on the Umpiring board.

This needs to be in the paper.

This needs to be read out on radio.

This needs to be the main discsussion on tv shows.

Sam Newman should treat this with respect.

....superb post.

Agreed. Sam, aside from when he acts the clown, is really switched on when it comes to the game and the direction it's headed. His comments on umpires are spot on. I was furious the other night when he was coming off the long run about the umpiring, and they were playing that music over the top of him.

IMO, it's currently one of the biggest threats to maintaining/growing the sport.

Email cambosis' post to CH9, MMM football, SEN, CH10, Herald-Sun, The Age... and to Geischen.

I think that for the very first time sense has actually been made!
Great post agree with all of it!:thumbsu:

This problem has been getting worse every year.
Whilst its easy to blame the MRP and Giesch, we need to blame the two muppets who are in charge of the game.

The standard of umpiring will not improve whilst Vlad and Anderson are in charge of the administration of the rules.

They must go. The sooner the better.:thumbsdown:

As I said in another thread, the constant apologetics from the AFL is what gets me. If Geish had said 'a couple were wrong, but we were trying to stamp down on that behaviour that week' (ie. told the truth!), I wouldn't have a problem. It's the way they blindly defend everything the umpires do.

If it was a wrong decision (which some just clearly are), don't try to justify it, just call it a mistake!

This problem has been getting worse every year.
Whilst its easy to blame the MRP and Giesch, we need to blame the two muppets who are in charge of the game.

The standard of umpiring will not improve whilst Vlad and Anderson are in charge of the administration of the rules.

They must go. The sooner the better.:thumbsdown:

Dont get me wrong... I dont think JG is making the call... the strategy is set by AD and AA... and clearly they dont have an idea...

As I said in another thread, the constant apologetics from the AFL is what gets me. If Geish had said 'a couple were wrong, but we were trying to stamp down on that behaviour that week' (ie. told the truth!), I wouldn't have a problem. It's the way they blindly defend everything the umpires do.

If it was a wrong decision (which some just clearly are), don't try to justify it, just call it a mistake!

If you cant admit mistakes are made... you quickly lose all credibility in the eyes of those that see the mistakes every day... I just have this image of AD closing his eyes tight, covering his ears and screaming "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA" when anyone makes a negative comment about how the AFL and its various parts work..

:thumbsu::thumbsu:
Fantastic post.

I have played 200 games of senior footy, watched thousands of AFL games, grown up loving the game... and have never been more despondent with the game and the direction it's heading.

The trivial nature of the way the rules are implemented, randomness in the manner in which frees are plucked from nowhere, with seemingly no room for common sense, has made the game nigh on unwatchable.

All fans want is an honest contest that isn't ruined by a pack of overbearing school teachers... pay the frees when a player is significantly impeded from the contest... no need to go searching for free kicks, they will present themselves and will be obvious.

Some great posts here including the fantastic OP, but I think you've hit the nail fair and square on the head with that bolded comment Snoozer. That should be sent to the AFL over and over until they get the message!

The AFL don't want to be critical of the umpires and hence don't want people being critical of umpires in the belief that that attitude will filter down to Grass Roots level, leading to an increase in people taking up umpiring and greater respect towards umpires.

What they don't appear to realise, is that by putting the umpires up on a pedestal, they're making them targets. Ridiculous rules relying on "Interpretation" only make it harder for the poor old umpire.

Why not release the rounds contentious umpiring decisions with a review? Damm sure if they make it public there will be more consistency and hey, guess what? If they make reviews public, junior umpires might learn too! Win Win!

The AFL don't want to be critical of the umpires and hence don't want people being critical of umpires in the belief that that attitude will filter down to Grass Roots level, leading to an increase in people taking up umpiring and greater respect towards umpires.

What they don't appear to realise, is that by putting the umpires up on a pedestal, they're making them targets. Ridiculous rules relying on "Interpretation" only make it harder for the poor old umpire.

Why not release the rounds contentious umpiring decisions with a review? Damm sure if they make it public there will be more consistency and hey, guess what? If they make reviews public, junior umpires might learn too! Win Win!

another fantastic level headed post. Umpires get it wrong every week, the AFL have even said the accuracy rate is somewhere in the 85% region. So FFS 15% of the time they are wrong, why not admit it and highlight what the decision SHOULD have been so everyone learns from it? It might actually make the game easier to umpire, easier for the fans to understand, and better for the juniors coming through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back