Remove this Banner Ad

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
This thread topic is about how footy makes you feel:
- during the moments of watching a game
- during the moments when matches are not being shown (weekdays)

Are you generally angry and let out a lot of expletives during a live match?
Are you generally happy whenever the team wins, or always feeling "half empty" despite a win?
Would you say footy makes you more happy or more sad when thinking about it?
Have you been stressed, and footy takes you away from the stress? Or is it the other way around, footy being the cause of your stress?
Have you had a recent blood pressure (BP) check? Does a game of footy alter your BP levels? :)

Last edited:
Until a few years ago I've known nothing but a lifetime of apathy.

Now though I've slingshotted to having my blood pressure rise at every little mistake.

I'd like to know a happy medium for once. Probably once the excitement about no longer being truly atrocious wears off.

Last edited:

giphy.gif

After our run from ‘97-‘00 followed by the Rhode years I’d become a bit resigned to not seeing a flag, so much so that, while I was very disappointed at the ‘09 prelim and knew it was an opportunity blown, I didn’t blow my stack.

Contrast that with 2016, when I’d realised mid season the possibility of a flag might actually be there, f-bombs flew quite freely and more than once I briefly left my seat when we blew a lead in the last quarter etc.

It hit its peak when we started blowing last season because the flag had conditioned me to expect a lot better. Once it became apparent we’d jumped the shark I kind of relaxed. Reckon I’ve handled this season ok all things considered.

It’s just a game but rolling into work after the 2016 grand final felt pretty special. That said, I’m not someone who lets it affect them beyond the weekend usually.

I attend whenever possible. At the ground I find it a lot less frustrating than watching on TV. Maybe the Inhibition of being in public, maybe it's the shared outrage when things go wrong, I'm not sure.

The cat knows when the Giants are playing on TV though, and gives me a wide birth.

I attend whenever possible. At the ground I find it a lot less frustrating than watching on TV. Maybe the Inhibition of being in public, maybe it's the shared outrage when things go wrong, I'm not sure.

The cat knows when the Giants are playing on TV though, and gives me a wide birth.
I think the commentary can be a plus or minus depending on how much bias there is on a given day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch with bemused detachment most of the time, baffling umpire calls, constant whistles for free kicks inexplicable skill errors by well paid professionals combined with cryptic business jargon spouting coaches & a media that turn everything into a scandal has lessened my footy interest over the years. Enjoy watching the eagles play as they have an attacking game plan and some exciting players, switch the TV on for the bounce and switch it off at the final siren.

aha.. the tension rises when I am unsure that my team will win... I am unable to watch a close game and invariably will just stalk around
the room or when at the game will take a walk somewhere..

in fact sometimes I will not even be able to watch a whole game at all. somehow I am just feeling too close to it and the result will be
what it is... I feel things a bit too closely perhaps but so be it.. at least I am not disinterested even if it appears to be so...

I'm chilled about it, I get a little frustrated when they play s**t but I've seen three flags and eight GFs all up so Cats fans have zero to get angry about. One GF is hard to make.

Sure is. But all teams apart from Gold Coast and GWS Giants have made the GF at least once over the last 20 years. Carlton and North Melbourne have the longest drought when they played each other for the only time in a GF in 1999.

I'm chilled about it, I get a little frustrated when they play s**t but I've seen three flags and eight GFs all up so Cats fans have zero to get angry about. One GF is hard to make.
3 from 8? 3 is better than none I suppose

Remove this Banner Ad

Back