Autopsy The annihilations continue v suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarkos comments from the press conference, competed and got enough of the ball but were hurt on the turnover. Fitness also playing a massive part by the end.

I agree with most of what he said in the press conference and don't necessarily think things are his fault as the players do need to be accountable for there actions i.e handpassing to nobody dropping simple marks poor kicks (looking at you LDU) etc the list goes on and on. The main thing if anything is that team selection was wrong and has been most of the season. Most teams will have 2 proper tall defenders and even a 3rd at times aswell. Yet our forward line is getting smaller and smaller each week. Last week it was no ford in it. This week Duursma out aswell. most of the time our mids are going to kick to the main man in larkey but he can barely compete one on one in a contest let a lone 3 on 1. He needs support. And if we're gonna insist on not playing a chf such as pink or maley then the game plan needs to change to suit the medium talls otherwise its gonna be more of the same. The players in our forward half have the quality in them to be better.
To be fair no matter who we have in the forward line it'll appear dysfunctional the way we're playing.

It was interesting the GC player interviewed at half time, talking about changes they made to counter our uncontested mark count. They pressed harder up on the guy with the ball and forced us down the line more and once we do that we're cooked because we have very few capable of a contested mark. Worse still is we're just as likely to get out marked than bring it to ground.
They then slap a high forward press on us and we cant get the damn thing out. We do show some nice overlap at times when finally do break through, but its few are far between. Its basically what every team has done to us since we advertised Nortball.
Then its basically the opposite when we forward press. The oppo have a ton of marking options around the 70-80 meters out area.

Last edited:
Exactly right, and the mind blowing fact is 4 of the 5 you listed we recruited as mature age players. Tucker was pretty much stake knives and Shiels was retired lol.

This Hub stuff is mystery to me, i must be the only person not in the know. Everyone appears to know it was a shipshow but nobody ever says what exactly happened. Its weird its like everyone knows but we dare not speak about it. Well hey guys over here, i dont know lol
I dunno what happened but it appears something did.

To be fair no matter who we have in the forward line it'll appear dysfunctional the way we're playing.

It was interesting the GC player interviewed at half talking about changes they made to counter our uncontested mark count. They pressed harder up on the guy with the ball and forced us down the line more and once we do that we're cooked because we have very few capable of a contested mark. Worse still is we're just as likely to get out marked than bring it to ground.
They then slap a high forward press on us and we cant get the damn thing out. We do show some nice overlap at times when finally do break through, but its few are far between. Its basically what every team has done to us since we advertised Nortball.
Then its basically the opposite when try to forward press. The oppo have a ton of marking options around the 70-80 meters out area.
Great summary 👍🏻
That’s exactly what is happening to us now. I think Maley is needed now.

Not sounding out individuals but a great first quarter, excellent pressure, players working a lot more methodically passing the ball rather than majority dump kicks or trying one too many handballs, few skills errors but a very competitive 1st quarter.

2nd quarter, whilst Sun's piled on the pressure it's the repeat entries/inside 50's and particularly how quickly it comes,that you can see our players start to go away from the 1st quarter pressure/workrate/teamwork/team plan and just become reactive. Poor leading option, skill execution trying too hard to force a pass, poor umpiring all combine to be like every game since round 2, this is the quarter that exposes our very brittle confidence be it the gameplan or teamwork and each other and while the 25pt margin going into half time doesn't sound much on paper, it was closer to 50pts..game over.

3rd quarter,the first 1/2 was pretty even but after that it became Meh, the lads started to lose their legs and GC's temperate conditioning showed how much of a far superior team they are in those 29C, humid conditions....still Mac Andrews marking was phenomenal.

4th quarter, we battled hard to not get blown away up to 70+pts but the players were spent.

I'm an optimist about the team and l firmly believe that if we are able to draw level with the oppo in the 2nd quarter, maybe win the quarter, we'll have a great chance of competing in the second half.

Hard to watch ..

It actually worked because quarter 1 showed something.

It’s our absolutely pathetic fitness levels where our pressure dropped right off that was concerning.

I'm not sure it's just about fitness.

I think it's more about our mindset. Early in the second qtr, Suns kick a couple of quick goals and all of a sudden it's a 3 or 4 goal game.

Rather than our players digging in and trying to get back momentum, we drop our heads like there's a collective "oh, here we go again". From that moment, the game is lost while we go through the motions with players popping up for the odd cameo effort here and there.

I'm not sure it's just about fitness.

I think it's more about our mindset. Early in the second qtr, Suns kick a couple of quick goals and all of a sudden it's a 3 or 4 goal game.

Rather than our players digging in and trying to get back momentum, we drop our heads like there's a collective "oh, here we go again". From that moment, the game is lost while we go through the motions with players popping up for the odd cameo effort here and there.
I reckon it's a bit of fitness but more not being use to the Darwin night condition? I think Melbourne and the Dogs go up a couple days earlier to acclimatize and GC did that as well.

But yeah, you're summation is quite right and that's to do with their confidence and once you see it leave, their reactive, they don't trust their judgement and start looking for the easier option and often, pass the responsibility to some else...is this a laziness or carefactor zero? No, just a group of players that just need every inch of confidence and a simple miss goal is enough to deflate them.

Although just watching the 2nd quarter as l type, the backline was holding up for a good 8-10mins before the Anderson goal and just some smarter decisions going fowards AND the forwards leading, it could have been different.

in the last 5 seasons of footy we have won 12/92 games. We will most likely finish this 5 year period 12/106. Of those 12 wins only 3 were in Melbourne and only 2 were in front of a live crowd. I am going to go out on a limb here and say that no other professional sporting organisation in Australia has been that bad. We are the worst run sporting club in the country. Certainly in my time watching footy (40 years) no one has been this bad (and survived). When does the AFL step in and take over? In our current state with the current management there is no way we survive 3 more years.
F*** I knew it was something in the realms of that level of horror but you’ve truly encapsulated our supporters’ state of trauma with those statistics.

In 5 years I’ve only gotten to sing our great club song at the end of a game twice, that’s 2 solitary times in joyous rapture. I go every week in Melbourne rain, hail or shine and even the games in Geelong. The Richmond game I remember vividly. The other one I don’t. No other supporter group could truly comprehend that. I’m sure at some point Kane Cornes had a go at us supporters for over-celebrating a win. Well he can go and get f***ed.

F*** I knew it was something in the realms of that level of horror but you’ve truly encapsulated our supporters’ state of trauma with those statistics.

In 5 years I’ve only gotten to sing our great club song at the end of a game twice, that’s 2 solitary times in joyous rapture. The Richmond game I remember vividly. The other one I don’t. No other supporter group could truly comprehend that. I’m sure at some point Kane Cornes had a go at us supporters for over-celebrating a win. Well he can go and get f***ed.
Was the other one West Coast in R1 last year?

As an aside, remember how some people didn’t want to celebrate that because West Coast were so undermanned it didn’t count as a real win? Haha.

Was the other one West Coast in R1 last year?

As an aside, remember how some people didn’t want to celebrate that because West Coast were so undermanned it didn’t count as a real win? Haha.
Haha yes I do recall that and right now I’d celebrate a win against the Manangatang 3rds like it was a Grand Final.

In 5 years I’ve only gotten to sing our great club song at the end of a game twice, that’s 2 solitary times in joyous rapture. I go every week in Melbourne rain, hail or shine and even the games in Geelong. The Richmond game I remember vividly. The other one I don’t. No other supporter group could truly comprehend that. I’m sure at some point Kane Cornes had a go at us supporters for over-celebrating a win. Well he can go and get f***ed.
It’s been bleak. Yes that WC win kinda of felt like a loss given how impacted they were by covid. Lucky that Tigers bloke dropped that mark and sprayed his kick on goal. The fact we get 10k to homes games is a testament to us. Even the big clubs would struggle to get a crowd given how bad we have been. My daughter is 6 and son is 2 so I am kinda happy they aren’t at the age where this would have impacted them. Hopefully we are good by the time they are aware. I feel for others with older kids

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went and checked on Melbourne wins since the start of the 2021 season when we could watch again.

2021 - R19 thumped Carlton at Docklands
2022 - R2 beat Eagles at Docklands, R18 beat Richmond at Docklands
2023 - R1 snuck past Eagles at Docklands

And that’s it. Four and a half years of attending every game in Melbourne. What I’d give for another game like that Carlton win now.

I went and checked on Melbourne wins since the start of the 2021 season when we could watch again.

And that’s it. Four and a half years of attending every game in Melbourne. What I’d give for another game like that Carlton win now.
don’t forget west coast had 15 outs for the game in 2022, one right before the bounce as well. i’ve never walked out of a game after we won feeling soo disappointed and anxious about what the future would hold for us. 2 and a half years later and here we here, still disappointed that this thing is never gonna turn around.

That WAFL game in entrenched in my memory.

We were so bad but somehow the Eagles were worse. When the siren sounded our members wing didn't cheer as loud as they usually do. It was a very faint celebration to say the least. Lots of supporters were not happy that day. Lots of concerned faces. I didn't react to the final siren or celebrate at all either. It was probably the worst victory I've seen at the stands ever.

The next week confirmed our fears.

That Carlton win was in a closed stadium.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm yet to see a live win since that round 23 game in 2019. I'm sure there are others in the same boat.

I'm yet to see a live win since that round 23 game in 2019. I'm sure there are others in the same boat.
You missed the win against Richmond mate where Zurhaar sharked Goldy’s tap off the pack and drilled it from the boundary line in the last by couple of minutes? A real shame. Pretty much my only good memory in the last 5 years.

With the amount of work you put in here for both us and the club in general, it’s an absolute indictment on the club.

You missed the win against Richmond mate where Zurhaar sharked Goldy’s tap off the pack and drilled it from the boundary line in the last by couple of minutes? A real shame. Pretty much my only good memory in the last 5 years.

With the amount of work you put in here for both us and the club in general, it’s an absolute indictment on the club.
Yes, unfortunately. Ben Brown's 10 goals is still fresh in the memory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back