The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

This may be controversial but I still think the best special comments guy around is Dermott Brereton.

He waffles and can grate sometimes but he actually says interesting things and picks up on stuff that you wouldn’t realise watching at home, which considering how long he’s been out the game is very impressive. Most of them are just bland to the point they may as well not even be there.
Yeah personally love listening to Dermie.

It seems he normally gets shafted to the smaller/less watched games each weekend.

This may be controversial but I still think the best special comments guy around is Dermott Brereton.

He waffles and can grate sometimes but he actually says interesting things and picks up on stuff that you wouldn’t realise watching at home, which considering how long he’s been out the game is very impressive. Most of them are just bland to the point they may as well not even be there.

I'd agree but his team biases are awful, and his dismissiveness of any thuggery.

I'd agree but his team biases are awful, and his dismissiveness of any thuggery.
He can't objectively commentate Essendon or Geelong games. Particularly Essendon.

There's a few ex players in the industry his age that are dinosaurs on the afl's shift away from thuggery and dangerous bumps.

He can't objectively commentate Essendon or Geelong games. Particularly Essendon.

There's a few ex players in the industry his age that are dinosaurs on the afl's shift away from thuggery and dangerous bumps.

Or Swans, which is weird considering he played for us.

The problem with special comments that Fox have them call many games outside Vic from a screen.

The whole idea of having them is to point out things that are happening off camera that you can only see at the ground like positional changes. What's the point when they can't see what's happening?

The problem with special comments that Fox have them call many games outside Vic from a screen.

The whole idea of having them is to point out things that are happening off camera that you can only see at the ground like positional changes. What's the point when they can't see what's happening?

I think they have down the ground cameras in their studio so they can see the whole ground even if it's not on the broadcast. Not 100% though.

Whoever does special comments are always annoying, Joel has a great football mind but talking about what the average football fan can see while watching is quite annoying.

BT: “The tigers can’t stop the ball coming in Joel, their defenders aren’t getting a break, what can they do”

Joel: “They just need to get the ball and slow it down, hit their targets”

Richo: “They just can’t stop this ball movement, tell us again Joel what the tigers need to do”

Joel: “As I was just saying before they just need to get their hands on the footy and slow the tempo”

Stuff like that is just horrendous to listen to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being a captain and speaking mostly in overused clichés to the media is also a lot different to being put on the spot and having to come up with actual real time analysis of what you are watching.

Yeah, from Kirk. As much as a football player might lead a club for years, public speaking would be difficult. Like Selwood showed last night.
Just because he's a weird bloke I dunno if that makes him nervous haha.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back