The best teams at NOT going back to back

Remove this Banner Ad

Surprised to see no mention of Brisbane 2004. Technically not back to back but in with a decent shot to win 4 in a row, up at HT and in front deep into the 3rd until Port got hold of us and took a 3 goal lead into the fourth quarter.

Ultimately they stormed home and earned a well deserved premiership but we were on the cusp of real history.

Carlton 1980 was a travesty.
Should've been 4 in a row no arguments about that.
were never gonna beat RFC that year no matter what,we were too brilliant all year,we had 2 extra gears that year compared to the rest of the comp
we blew yas off the park at waverely in the elimination,destroyed yas,was never gonna happen for ya

the real story is Richmonds failure to bury Carlton in the GF of '82,we were clearly best side all year,hot favourites going into the GF after smashing Carlton
in the first half of the 2nd semi to lead by 7 goals at 1/2 time,game over, easing up to win by 4 goals to go straight in

we lost our permanent FB in Pirrie in rd.22 to a knee,we lost our FF Taylor who kicked 72 goals in 15 games ,in that same rd.22 game, for the finals and we lost our backline enforcer Malthouse @ training the thursday before the GF,add in Tempany breaking his leg in the GF.
we lead by 11pts at 1/2 time after Carlton came out and kicked the first 3 goals in 6 mins of the game & then we blew it by kicking 1 goal 6 in the 3rd qtr with Micheal Roach failing to get a touch just about the whole game,1982 was the real one that got away.

Last edited:

That's why we love Isaac 'Norm' Smith, helped us then, and again with a late rushed snap late in a game the next time around too.

But why a three-time Hawk Premiership player gets booed? For shame :(
The Isaac Norm Smith thing does trigger me a bit but then I remember the massive wood on the cats the Hawks have from 2008 and 1989 and let it go. It’s forever delicious. Cheers

Celebrate In Love GIF by HBO Max

Essendon 2001, Geelong 2008, Collingwood 2011 and Richmond 2018 are definitely the poster children for this.

On the other hand, "can't back up a premiership winning season" is kind of a nice problem to have. Some clubs would kill for being criticised for not backing up after a flag.
I would have gladly taken one flag from all our finals appearances from 2001 to 2017.

In the afterglow of a flag, it's hard to see how that team WON'T be in contention the next year. The 2021 Demons were a very good side, with a brilliant midfield and winning a thumping victory in the grand final. Weren't some people going the early crow and talking about a dynasty?

The Geelong team of 2023 has the same record after 5 rounds as it did in 2007 and if we win at home this week we have the same record as the Geelong side after 6 rounds in 2022.

I don’t think we will win the comp but probably a tad early to put the line through us
Just getting in early.

Here are my picks for 7 of the best teams who weren't successful at defending their title. Back to back flags appeared to be a formality (or well within reach.) But they all performed below their best in their final match of the season when they were brought undone by excellent, inspired opponents producing peak performances.

Hawthorn
1983... premiers...... 18-0-7... 128.3
1984... runners up... 19-0-6... 142.3

Hawthorn
1986... premiers...... 20-0-5... 141.6
1987... runners up... 19-0-7... 142.3

Essendon
2000... premiers...... 24-0-1... 159.1
2001... runners up... 19-0-6... 134.5

Brisbane
2003... premiers...... 17-1-8... 121.9
2004... runners up... 18-0-7... 137.2

Geelong
2007... premiers...... 21-0-4... 152.8
2008... runners up... 23-0-2... 161.8

Collingwood
2010... premiers...... 20-2-4... 141.7
2011... runners up... 22-0-3... 167.7

Richmond
2017... premiers...... 18-0-7... 141.7
2018... third............ 19-0-5... 136.2

Ultimately they stormed home and earned a well deserved premiership but we were on the cusp of real history.
Play the preliminary final in Brisbane and I reckon the Lions had the minerals for the fourpeat.

The Geelong team of 2023 has the same record after 5 rounds as it did in 2007 and if we win at home this week we have the same record as the Geelong side after 6 rounds in 2022.

I don’t think we will win the comp but probably a tad early to put the line through us
You were 4-2 after round 6 last year. You did then lose to the Dockers, so if you beat the Swans and then the Bombers you'll have the same record after 7 rounds as last year.

Anyway, no one likes a pedant! I'll show myself out.

Here are my picks for 7 of the best teams who weren't successful at defending their title. Back to back flags appeared to be a formality (or well within reach.) But they all performed below their best in their final match of the season when they were brought undone by excellent, inspired opponents producing peak performances.

Hawthorn
1983... premiers...... 18-0-7... 128.3
1984... runners up... 19-0-6... 142.3

Hawthorn
1986... premiers...... 20-0-5... 141.6
1987... runners up... 19-0-7... 142.3

Essendon
2000... premiers...... 24-0-1... 159.1
2001... runners up... 19-0-6... 134.5

Brisbane
2003... premiers...... 17-1-8... 121.9
2004... runners up... 18-0-7... 137.2

Geelong
2007... premiers...... 21-0-4... 152.8
2008... runners up... 23-0-2... 161.8

Collingwood
2010... premiers...... 20-2-4... 141.7
2011... runners up... 22-0-3... 167.7

Richmond
2017... premiers...... 18-0-7... 141.7
2018... third............ 19-0-5... 136.2
Good list.

Going back a way, I'd include an honourable mention for Carlton in 1973, following on from the astonishingly high-scoring 72 GF. They only went 15-7 in the home and away season, but then comfortably beat both Richmond and the minor premiers, Collingwood, in the qualifying final and second-semi, so appeared to have hit top form at the right time.

They were favourites heading into the GF, but were steamrolled by the Tigers in the GF - quite literally in the cases of John Nicholls and Geoff Southby! Without those two getting knocked out in the first quarter, they very possibly could have gone back-to-back; instead it was the Tigers that achieved that in 74.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon 2000. They were so dominant. Best team in it 1999 and blew the prelim to Carlton. 2001 runners up to one of the best teams of our generation. Should have had more than one out of that period of dominance.

From R13 2010 to R23 2011, Collingwood went 32-1-2 in 35 games, the three non-results being a drawn grand final, a 3 point loss to an all-time great Geelong team, and a 3 point loss to Hawthorn in a dead rubber after we’d already secured the minor premiership. Ridiculous record with a crazy % to pair with it. Should have won more flags but came into town before Geelong had left.

And people try and denigrate Geelong's 2011 flag because 'it's Collingwood' :rolleyes:

Rubbish. I went to this win over the Hawks.
You could not stand our best.
Hawthorn
6.5 9.11 11.15 15.22​
112​
Sat 13-Aug-1983 2:10 PM Att: 28,476 Venue: Princes Park
Carlton
4.1 5.3 15.6 20.9​
129​
Carlton won by 17 pts [Match stats]

Carlton who finished 5th with 13 wins in 1983 deserved the flag?

Carlton who lost to Essendon by 5 goals in the Elimination final deserved the flag?

Hawthorn had 40 scoring shots to 17 in the Grand Final against Essendon, winning by 83 points didnt deserve it, Carlton did.... because they beat Hawthorn during the regular season.

Stellar logic.

Carlton who finished 5th with 13 wins in 1983 deserved the flag?

Carlton who lost to Essendon by 5 goals in the Elimination final deserved the flag?

Hawthorn had 40 scoring shots to 17 in the Grand Final against Essendon, winning by 83 points didnt deserve it, Carlton did.... because they beat Hawthorn during the regular season.

Stellar logic.
I never said the word deserved at all. Weird post.

Our best footy was still good enough to win flag but our form was never consistent due to untimely suspensions and injuries.

Pefect example of this was the 15 goals we kicked againt Hawks in second half to put you away in round 20 and then following week beat top of ladder team by 5 goals but in the same win in round 21 have injuries and suspensions to key players and then bow out from those to Essendon so teams like Hawks avoided us in finals as we never had the double chance from a slow start to the season. We deserved to not have double chance but our best showed we had measure of teams like Hawks that actually did win the flag which why it such a frustrating season to know your best is awesome but blow it for other reasons.

Last edited:
Gastro ruined totally ruined their chances of going back to back and three-peating.

At least 15 players who played that night were sick as a dog all week.
I wonder if COVID has taught clubs a bit better how to manage infectious illnesses.

Given how tight the competition is now, clubs can really afford to have a gastro/flu/covid run through huge swathes of the playing group, directly affecting a few matches and indirectly affecting more as they lose fitness and it takes a while to build it back up.

Yeah short term it may seem low risk to have a crook bloke turn up to training and do light duties, but if that ends up running through the whole group it can derail a season.

Good list.

Going back a way, I'd include an honourable mention for Carlton in 1973, following on from the astonishingly high-scoring 72 GF. They only went 15-7 in the home and away season, but then comfortably beat both Richmond and the minor premiers, Collingwood, in the qualifying final and second-semi, so appeared to have hit top form at the right time.

They were favourites heading into the GF, but were steamrolled by the Tigers in the GF - quite literally in the cases of John Nicholls and Geoff Southby! Without those two getting knocked out in the first quarter, they very possibly could have gone back-to-back; instead it was the Tigers that achieved that in 74.

John Nicholls would agree with you because he once mentioned that the 1973 team was the best Carlton team he played in. He admitted his comment would surprise people because in 1972 the blues went 18-3-1, finished on top and won the grand final.

The Isaac Norm Smith thing does trigger me a bit but then I remember the massive wood on the cats the Hawks have from 2008 and 1989 and let it go. It’s forever delicious. Cheers

Celebrate In Love GIF by HBO Max
That 2013 prelim also.

A combination of the instability caused by the idiocy of Eddie to insist on the succession plan and Malthouse’s bad coaching in firstly playing injured players for the latter half of the year while Geelong freshened theirs up through regular tests and secondly, playing a hobbled Ben Reid on Hawkins for far too long despite the second forward in Podsiadly being out of the game and having an obvious switch to make in Tarrant but not doing so.
Pies 2010 had a full strength Grand Final team with no injury concerns - you could’ve substituted in any of the next five players outside that 22 and the result wasn’t changing.

Then all that depth retired, and injuries hit (particularly in 2012)

Essendon 2001. Should have won 1999 too, but the brain box melted for that year.

Cats 2008 also mentions.

/thread.

Geelong 2008 had the best total season (H/A and Finals) by a runner-up, which is also the 6th best total season all-time when including premiers.

They also had the equal most wins in a Home & Away season - arguably the best H&A season all-time. Only two teams have won 21 games in a H/A season - Essendon 2000 and Geelong 2008, with Geelong having the higher percentage (161.84 vs 159.10).

Geelong 08 also hold the record for highest average losing margin for a season, so I guess based on that you could also argue they're the worst not going back-to-back too. :p

Last edited:
West Coast 1991
agreed. went 15-0 then lost 3 games in the regular season. a 3 point loss to carlton, a 3 point loss to North and a 10 point loss to Fitzroy in the final round.

No side scored 100 points vs west coast in the 1991 regular season. Fitzroy in the final round scored 99 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back