The best "what if" players in AFL history (1990 onwards)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan Brown for me.

Would have liked to see what would have become of Nathan Ablett if he hadn't decided to retire as well.

I wonder if the good Ablett would have left had his brother still been at Geelong. Probably, but you never know.

really surprised at the lack of John Barker (esp from the hawthorn fans)

I know I mentioned him earlier in the thread....but surprising not more nominations....

I know this thread is filled with "Kouta" calls. But as a non-Carlton supporter I just wanted to say that in the first half of 2000 he had an aura unlike any player I have seen before or since.

He just absolutely dominated everywhere.

I would argue that he would be considered the equal of Hird Voss & Buckley had he not been injured.

Also think Ryan Fitzgerald and Bowen Lockwood were great calls.

EDIT: Snell and Egan for the Cats both were pretty handy players pre-injury as well.

Would have liked to see what would have become of Nathan Ablett if he hadn't decided to retire as well.

This extends into a "what if" for Geelong. They were bloody good without him, imagine with him? Bit more forward line power, accurate kick if i recall... would've been handy in the 08 GF...

I know this thread is filled with "Kouta" calls. But as a non-Carlton supporter I just wanted to say that in the first half of 2000 he had an aura unlike any player I have seen before or since.

He just absolutely dominated everywhere.

I would argue that he would be considered the equal of Hird Voss & Buckley had he not been injured.

I never realised quite how much footy Kouta missed - played 278 of a possible 435 games in the 19 seasons he was on Carlton's list (1989-2007). Didn't really establish himself in the Carlton side until 1994, and missed large portions of the 2002, 2004 and 2007 seasons.

This extends into a "what if" for Geelong. They were bloody good without him, imagine with him? Bit more forward line power, accurate kick if i recall... would've been handy in the 08 GF...

Tom Lonergan pretty much played the same role with greater effect for the Cats in 2008.

Some good suggestions so far in this thread.

Seeing your username actually made me think of Tim Boyle as a nomination for this thread. No superstar by any means, but was plagued by injuries throughout his career. Since his debut he was always third behind Buddy and Rough, probably starved for opportunities (not too sure how well they worked together as a trio) and then he busted his ACL in '09 which ended his career.

You could probably throw his dad's name in there too (before 1990 obviously however). Played six games and then lost his sight in one eye through a freak accident.

One name i'm going to throw up that i know you're all gonna say "WTF" about is Peter Hudson. Greatest goals per game average but could be the all time leading goal kicker by a long way if his body could stand up and he didn't have unfortunate injuries like his knee one in like 1972
Not really cause that was a similar story to Barry Robran (wrong era I know) he had two knee reco's when coming back from one back then was a career ender

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As good as Salmon's career was, his '84 Season before doing his knee was brilliant, he was never the same player athletically after that.

I never realised quite how much footy Kouta missed - played 278 of a possible 435 games in the 19 seasons he was on Carlton's list (1989-2007). Didn't really establish himself in the Carlton side until 1994, and missed large portions of the 2002, 2004 and 2007 seasons.

Kouta did miss alot of footy over the years, but out of the possible 435 games that Carlton played while he was on the list, he played over 50 games at reserve and under 19 level with Carlton.

He was also a very fair player, only missing one game to suspension. (For attempting to trip....WTF is that)

So despite all of his major injuries they would only account closer to 70 games rather then 160.

Absolute champion, but could have been even better without the injuries.

3. Luke Molan (melb's 1st pick in 2001 superdraft... overall no. 4). Cruelled by injuries and never played a game

wasn't polak pick 4 with freo ?

Amazing how a player is very ordinary in one team then transfers to another and becomes a one of the best. Luke Power was hardly visible when playing for the Bulldogs then moved to Brisbane and started to shine. Faren Ray kicked more to the opposition than to a team mate while at Footscray then miraculously began kicking with precision at St.Kilda. Hmm.

Amazing how a player is very ordinary in one team then transfers to another and becomes a one of the best. Luke Power was hardly visible when playing for the Bulldogs then moved to Brisbane and started to shine. Faren Ray kicked more to the opposition than to a team mate while at Footscray then miraculously began kicking with precision at St.Kilda. Hmm.

Luke Power never played for the Dogs, played for Brisbane his entire career.

Sam Power however was shit at the Dogs and shit at North;)

David schwarz

Schwarz before the first knee was just incredible. Immense talent, size, hunger for the contest.

For Geelong, I'd say Paul Lynch.

Incredible talented pure footballer, great balance, very accurate kick for goal, but had the worst hamstrings I can remember..

Great shout, killed us on a number of occasions.

I'd be very interested to know how Adrian McAdam would have gone under the more professional modern day regime. He's said since he retired that he just didn't appreciate the work required to be successful at the time.

With the better systems and staff nowadays, maybe that could have happened. Phenomenal talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back